Godzilla 2014: Rumors, Pix and filming

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gojira, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Good points. Michael J. Fox was signed on to Back to the Future after they had already began filming with Eric Stoltz.

Anyway, I am happy with this cast. I think they made some great choices.

2. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

looking forward to Ken Watanabe in this. i'm more curious about the cast of monsters though. i remember an old report said Godzilla would be fighting giant insects or somesuch.

3. Gojira

There was a giant centipede in the Comic-Con trailer though many speculate, like myself, that that was just a generic beast for the teaser trailer.

From what I understand the one or two other monsters Godzilla will be fighting will be new creatures and not one of the other monsters in Toho's collection.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They definitely have a great cast for this one.
    I wonder if they do sequels if they'd consider bringing in other Toho monsters. I would love to see Mothra, Rodan, or King Ghidora.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It might be a bit hard to do justice to Mothra in an American production, given that she's the kaiju who most embodies the spiritual/animistic underpinnings of the genre, more a deity than a monster. Not to mention the confusion created about the character by all the English dubs that called her "he" or "it."

6. Gojira

Although I love Godzilla movies I really do not think many of Toho's other monsters would translate well for a mainstream audience. Most of them really do embody the Japanese culture.

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i think i'd actually prefer if the monsters in this film were new creations. like the monster in Godzilla 2000 was a new, one off monster.

8. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

While that may be true, I feel that aside from Godzilla, King Ghidorah is the most recognizable monster from Japan in the United States, even more so than Gamera.
    He can just be used as he was originally, a terrible monster from space.

9. Gojira

I can see both points. I would be happy with a new monster never seen before. Or King Ghidorah.

I saw this new design for King Ghidorah and if he looked like this in the new movie I would love it. I was never happy with him not having arms and having his arm incorporated into his wings solves the problem for me.

[​IMG]

10. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

That's not always the case. They have to have SOME kind of name while filming in order to associate all the production costs etc. It's not always a matter of secrecy, sometimes it's as simple as a matter of not having completely decided on the final release name.

11. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Ghidorah is only one I've seen model figures of apart from Godzilla, so I guess he must have some sort of extra-series cultural reach. As long as they don't use Baby Godzilla, happy :)

12. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I'd say there are several Toho monsters which would work in Mainstream Hollywood. Many are just mutated dinosaurs, like Rodan, Anguirus, Varan, Baragon. Others are giant insects with no mystic background at all, like Kumonga (I know, spiders are not an insects) or Megaguirus. And since Transformers were done for Mainstream Hollywood, I could even see them doing Mechagodzilla or a kick-ass version of Gigan.

13. Christopher

Whereupon the Internet would erupt with cries of "They ripped off Pacific Rim!" ;)

14. Kai "the spy"

Yeah, well part of the internet is already erupting in cries of "Pacific Rim rips off Neon Genesis Evangelion!". Plus, people on the internet are already "concerned" about Pacific Rim upstaging Godzilla.

15. Gojira

Persoanlly I want to see mutated dinosaur creatures so for me, for an American viewer things like Mechagodzilla and Gigan are out of the question. I wouldn't mind seeing Rodan or Anguirus.

These movies are going to be a serious take on Godzilla and Mechagodzilla and Gigan are associated with the cheesier movies. I guess they could be done more seriously I just don't want to see them in an American movie.

16. Kai "the spy"

Didn't say I wanted them in this movie or its direct sequel, I just said they could work.

17. Gojira

Oh, I understand. I just don't know if they could work. I am open to it though.

18. Christopher

Not entirely. The Heisei-era Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II is one of the most serious and thoughtful installments of that era. (Sure, it has Baby Godzilla, but handled far better than in the Showa era or the dismal GvMG2 sequel Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla, and used as commentary on themes of animal rights and the like.)

19. Gojira

True. I also like the Kiyru movies of the Millennium series.

20. Christopher

I found them rather weak. I guess they were attempting to be serious, though.