F1 2013 Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Lonemagpie, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Might as well leave the 2012 thread now, and look ahead to the new season...

2. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know I probably said this last year, but I'm going to stop watching if Vettel wins it again. Here's hoping for a shit season for Red Bull (unless Vettel forgets how to drive and Webber really steps it up).

3. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i hope vettel wins.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well you never know what's going to happen. Ferrari might build a deecent car, McLaren might get rid of their tactical and operational errors, Red Bull might build rubbish car and Mercedes might a half decent car.

5. Geckothan

Bring on 2014, honestly. Hopefully the exhaust regs will probably put Adrian Newey machines completely out of contention (unless he remembers how to design cars that don't rely on abusing exhaust gases in any way), and all the Vettel fanboys will be able to see him for the petulant little shit he really is, once he's come to the realisation that he's not going to be winning anything and ramps up his whining.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Why do I suspect that the 2013 season will be less unpredicatable than the 2012 season?

7. Geckothan

2012 got quite boring by the end anyway, once the top teams had perfected their EBD-ban-bypassing solutions and everyone had got the hang of the comedy tyres. Next year will just be more of the same old crap, only Hamilton will almost certainly be out of contention, so there'll be one less driver to stop the Golden Brat from running away with it.

8. Lonemagpie

I dunno that it will- Ferrari have sorted out their early-2012 difficulties, we've now got Perez instead of Hamilton in the McLaren, and we don't actually know for sure what the July 21 race will be!

9. Lonemagpie

Even if he does, you'd be wise to watch again in 2014 when a shedload of rule changes come into effect that will have the most effect on Red Bull.

Of course, he'll probably choose to jump to Ferrari at that point...

But that's a whole year away.

10. Geckothan

The new rules will make EBDs effectively impossible, but considering that they were originally supposed to mark the return of ground effects, they're quite disappointing, really.

I bet that Red Bull had something to do with ground effects being taken off of the new regs (being the dirty brown nosers that they are); they'd probably invested too much money (including that of their various 'unrelated' *cough* companies) in the current aero regs to risk having all of their data rendered useless.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

All the manufactuers have tried to bend the rules, use every loop hole for decades.

12. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

geckothan, i know you hate red bull (is it the taste?) but don't just make shit up about them. you have no idea whether they had anything to do with regulation changes.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

If i where a team owner, I would be after Newey.

14. Geckothan

Ok, the first part of my message was pure BS speculation, but there's truth in the second part.

Red Bull Technology anyone? Red Bull Racing might not be able to get away with sharing designs (and thus, have an extra source of relevant data) with Toro Rosso these days, but at the very least, Toro Rosso still benefits them greatly by filling the grid with two cars that are willing to get out of the way when the Golden Brat comes up behind them (which might not be an issue 99% of the time, but it certainly made a difference for said brat in 2012, with those critical races from the back), and push the blue flags to the limit to get in the way when being lapped by RBR rivals.

Other teams might push the rules, but in terms of winning races/podiums/big points with cars that are either explicitly illegal or insulting enough to the spirit of the rules that they are later made illegal, Red Bull are by far the biggest offenders in recent years, by a huge margin. I guess Adrian Newey has a pretty extensive history of designing rulebreaking cars. I've always found it hilarious how eager they are to jump on the bandwagon when other teams are accused of cheating, yet they go emo-mode and whine about being 'victimised' when they're actually CAUGHT cheating themselves.

Don't forget that Red Bull aren't in FOTA for a reason. They simply don't give a single shit about the Resource Restriction Agreement, they were accused of dishonouring it, most likely never intended to honour it (more speculation, sorry), and so left to avoid the embarrassment of being caught dishonouring it in the future. While there are several valid arguments against the RRA in favour of other forms of cost cutting, some of the ridiculous stunts Red Bull have pulled in the past make it clear that they simply do not care one bit about any form of cost cutting, and Christian Horner desperately trying to insist otherwise won't fool anyone (what's he's really thinking in his head when he brings up the subject is probably something like 'LOL WE CAN SPEND MORE MONEY THAN YOU GUYS LOL ENJOY YOUR FOTA SUCKERS LOL WE DONT CARE ABOUT THE FUTURE OF F1 AS LONG AS WE WIN AND THEN WHEN THE OTHER TEAMS RUN OUT OF MONEY WE CAN JUST BUY THEM ALL AND TURN THE SERIES INTO FORMULA FIZZYDRINKS LOL').

Yes, I have it in for them.

15. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i'm sure adrian newey is quaking in his exquisite shoes.

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

If history is anything to go by a team only has a finite time at the top, In the early 1990's it was Williams, then McLaren, then Ferrari and so on, so sooner or later Red Bull will be knocked off the top step of the podium, who knows next time it might be Lotus or Mercedes.

17. Lonemagpie

not long until the new cars are unveiled - McLaren launch theirs on January 31st, Force India on February 1st, and Sauber on Feb 2nd. Pre-season testing starts Feb 5th.

http://www.formula1.com/news/

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Hopefully the noses of the other manufacturers will be closer to the 2012 McLaren this year than last years broken (stepped) noses.

19. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

It's pretty amazing how ugly race cars have become today. You think back to the FW14B or the MP4/7A, or 1990's era Penske or Reynard Indycars, etc. Then compare them to the stepped nose F1 monstrosities of today, or the COT in NASCAR. Maybe motorsport needs some kind of aesthetics rule? I understand the military going for function over form, but this is sport.

20. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

IM looking forward to see what hamiltion does in the mercedes and if perez stuggles in the mclaren and if he can beat button.