The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

I took an image from the ENERGIZED! doc and overlayed it on top of the corresponding frame from "The Naked Now" to show more directly (they used a side-by-side and zoom in the doc) what kind of 16:9 transfer the folks at CBS were considering. As you can see, we're not missing that much more usable image... and we would've lost quite a bit:

[​IMG]

I'm guessing this area corresponds to the maximum safe area they could extract across all the footage (some of it would have more usable area, most probably not). As Robert Meyer Burnett indicated a few weeks ago, the ENERGIZED! doc is really the last word on the 16:9/4:3 debate. I strongly encourage everyone here to purchase this wonderful set and watch it for yourself! Best Blu-ray purchase I've made in quite a while. :)

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I would've liked a 16:9 option, but the lack of one isn't going to keep me from buying the set. :techman:

3. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, could you post the full res frame too? That's an amazing picture of Data!

4. Maxwell Everett

[​IMG]

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Which really worries me. Hopefully they update Sins and Inner Light when they get to those seasons. I'd hate to be saddled with sloppy errors just because they couldn't be bothered revisiting two episodes.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Who cares? $60 is super cheap..that's just over $2 per episode...back in the 80s we had to pay $14.99 for 2 low res episodes per VHS tape...how spoiled we are now.

RAMA

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

[​IMG][​IMG]

Stunning

No the new one is definitely better, they tended to be too bright with the glow fx in early STNG. Now we can actually see Data.

8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Or we could just say that the perspective is off, and the Stargazer is actually much closer to the camera than the Enterprise-D is.

I have a screencap request...can we see the computer screens Data was looking at from "Conspiracy?" You know, the ones where we see The Great Bird of the Galaxy (Gene's head on a parrot's body) and other interesting-looking goodies?

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Looking at that, 16:9 looks pretty damn awesome to me. Although I definitely understand the need to preserve the original version as well.

Is there any mention in the Energized doc about widescreen syndicated airings btw? I know that idea was brought up a few times early on.

10. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks!

Anybody up for screencaping the glimpse of Geordi's vision we get in Heart of Glory?

[​IMG]

11. Maxwell Everett

^ Just watched that episode and the Geordi Vision looked to me like a straight up-convert from 1-inch tape (don't quote me on that, though). It just didn't seem to have the sharpness you'd expect from a completely re-done effect.

It's also possible that it was originally shot with a videocamera anyway.... not sure though. There is no mention of it in the special features.

They did however locate the original elements for this shot:

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s1/1x20/heartofglory218.jpg

And it looks much better than the replacement used in "Farpoint." I also believe I saw that they found the original Enterprise elements used for the opening shot of "Sins of the Father." I have to remember which episode I saw it on, though. Let me get back to you on that.

EDIT:

I remember now... it was "Lonely Among Us"... this shot here:

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s1/1x08/lonelyamong140.jpg

Which was the same element used here, just flopped, wider and static (no zoom):

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s3/3x17/sinsofthefather000.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  12. Timo47

Timo47 Commander Red Shirt

But even though they found those elements, they did not update Farpoint with it? These 2 shots were both used in the pilot.

13. crotig

crotig Ensign Red Shirt

Season 2 trailer available again on youtube.

Sorry, but I had to remove the link, CBS is squawking about it.

(Geez, my first act as TNG mod is to spoil someone's effort.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2012
  14. BillJ

Don't mind RAMA, to him new automatically equates as better. He will just keep parroting his stance from the TOS-R discussions he's taken part of over the years.

15. crotig

crotig Ensign Red Shirt

LOL. No problem. It's still on youtube if anyone wants to see it. Looks good.

16. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Screencaps for the first season are well underway, so I probably won't get round to filling requests for a while.

As a special teaser, we'll be featuring special previews of the upcoming screencaps on our Facebook channel. Right now there's a selection of preview caps from 'The Last Outpost' on there.

http://www.facebook.com/trekcore

Don't forget to "like" us, so you get all the updates straight away :)

17. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just a note

Lonely Among Us, the cloud does in fact go in from of the ship, clear while watching the episode, if that hadn't been answered yet.

And, I am not watching in order, can't bare yet to watch a few, but let me just say what a beautiful joy it was to view 11001001 (probably my favorite episode of the season (or close to it).

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

19. BillJ

The ship has sailed, at least for this generation.

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.