Heroes 3x23 "1961" Discuss and Grade

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Apr 13, 2009.

?

Grade the episode

1. Excellent

21.4%
  2. Above Average

39.3%
  3. Average

21.4%
  4. Below Average

10.7%
  5. Poor

7.1%
  1. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, now let me kick back and enjoy the original black and white Star Trek run from 1966-1969 ;)

2. Vic Sixx

Vic Sixx Commodore Commodore

Dull and lifeless story. Melodramatic soap. Hated it.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

OK, let's set the color barrier at 1965 then ;) I guess Vietnam was in color for the most part...

4. Lt. Trull

Lt. Trull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System
    i remember those episodes... black on one side of the set white on the other... then all of a sudden it'd be the exact opposite...... :guffaw:

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

This may be overly critical of me, but I'm only giving it an Average. It's useful to have some backstory for the old timers, but this particular backstory didn't have me rivited, exactly. Not at all like Six Months Ago and Five Years Gone.

On the plus side, the characters are still in character, and the repair job is continuing as well as can be expected. But things have been a bit slow in the action-jackson department. I'm up for a big ole honkin FIGHT!

I didn't think Chandra Suresh was old enough in S1 to synch up with being about 30 nearly 50 years ago. Maybe his superpower is amazingly youthful appearance? Also, he struck me as some guy who was pursing a looney theory, not a guy who knew his theory was correct and was just looking to re-discover the evidence. For instance, he knew about a mass slaughter decades ago, wouldn't he be leery about publishing a book and revealing that he's still around and being snoopy about things? Good way to get himself killed, which he did, but not for the reasons he should have expected.

And explaining the socks was just dopey. That was never anything that required explanation - it was just a sign that Angela isn't quite all there - which isn't surprising given the backstory we knew before now.

That's the scene that makes me think my Average is too harsh. It's the kind of thing this show really needs, to get back on its feet. That scene had the "core family" of this show - but all the major characters are family in the sense that they're now learning that they have to depend on each other or individually they are screwed.

It's not just the narrowly-defined Petrelli clan that needs to get its act together. It's great to see acknowledgment that the people in charge of this show know what it's about at its core, that it's about something more than frantic running around and kewl plot twists.

"The Family" would be a very creepy name. :rommie:

As for Charles' power - I thought it was prophetic dreaming, same as Angela's. Did they change that and I didn't notice? :wtf:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, if you want to get nitpicky with EVERYTHING you've seen on the screen, old Suresh in person looks nothing like old Suresh on the flap of his book the first time you saw the book. :p

The Petrellis Plus One.

7. Temis the Vorta

No Nielsons discussion? Heroes bounced back to its level before last week (down because of Spring Break?)

04/13/09 - 6.80M - 3.2/ 8
    04/06/09 - 6.11 M - 2.6/6
    03/30/09 - 6.42 M - 3.1/7

Is word getting out that it sucks 100% less now? :D

8. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, I meant to mention about Dr. Suresh too - from earlier seasons I got the impression that Mohinder grew up in India - that his father only came to the States later, basically not long before the story of Heroes started - a year or two. Am I alone in that perception?

9. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

The implication is that Dr. Suresh's memories were completely wiped of everything dealing with the specials. That's why he was so excited when he "re-"discovered the gene sequences and whatnot. So it's fairly likely they wiped his entire experience in the United States if his sole purpose for being there was to investigate them.

It's ret-conning at its finest, but at least it's acceptable. As opposed to what they tried doing to characters during season two.

10. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Given what Angela's sister can do, though, it's managing to both suck and blow at the same time.

11. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tough one to grade.

Simply put: I found the flash back sequences to be very good; everything from picking an excellent actress for young Angela to the way went about filling in back ground on the Company's origin. Some of the best writing of the season, easily.

On the other hand, everything about Angela's ill conceived sister in the present, Mohinder's 50th bout of pitiful self torture, and tiresome Claire the Scowling Anger Teen, were too terrible for words.

Average then, I guess.

12. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed... Erick Avari, who played Chandra Suresh in Season 1, was born in 1952, so I think we have to assume the character is supposed to be more than a decade older than that if we're to believe he was already a doctor by 1961.

Yes, that was one of the things that didn't sit quite right with me. I think the most plausible explanation is that, as some have already suggested, Chandra Suresh had his memory selectively wiped after the events of 1961 (Angela does state that they did this fairly often when they first started the Company, but she doesn't specifically mention any names).

13. Temis the Vorta

No, my assumption was similar, especially that Chandra Suresh didn't really have confirmation of his wild theories - he didn't act like a guy with total certainty, and he certainly should have been more worried about revealing something he knew to be both true and dangerous. He just charged blithely ahead like his research had never led to such a traumatic and terrible event.

That's clumsy writing, and it's bad timing that something similarly clumsy recently took place on Lost...reducing my tolerance level for it even further. ;)

14. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

No CSM killed Kennedy.

15. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

My thoughts too. Chandra's work was all theories and was considered a crackpot in his own country because he couldn't prove anything. He came to America to discover these things he had been working on.

It's amazing just how much Heroes has retconned its own past.