Am I part Irish or not?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by propita, Mar 9, 2013.

1. gturner

gturner Admiral

Well, a brave's feather kind of slants, so we'd have
    .Indian and /Indian

For Sikhs we could use a magnifying glass to represent a search bar (seek Indian).

The Internet will define us all.

2. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

The "dot Indian or feather Indian" thing does help alleviate confusion, but some folks probably find it offensive. Although I wouldn't be offended by it if I happened to be Indian. Either kind, that is.

QFT. Or, from your mouth to God's ears, as we Jews say. :)

Be proud of your personal accomplishments, of what you've done to improve yourself or to improve the lives of others. But being proud of something you were basically handed at birth has never made sense to me.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mom's maiden name is Lawrenson, which was Scandanavianized* from Lawrence, supposedly Irish.

*Because they were in Manitoba, which is full of Scandanavians, so they wanted to fit in. But they spoke French. Odd bunch.

4. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I'm Irish. My family's name is Tighe (from a Mc name original) and we have Duffy, McCabe, etc. I'm like 90% Irish. My dad has a little non-Irish in him. Needless to say, we take St. Patrick's Day pretty seriously. Always a family gathering.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Are you sure you're not from Aerilon? ;)

6. Captain Kathryn

Haha....nooooo...but nice reference haha.

I'm all Irish!!! :beer::beer::beer::beer:

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Is All Along the Watchtower playing in your head? 'Cause if it is. you ain't from Aerilon or Ireland. :p

8. Captain Kathryn

lol

9. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I believe you're all American.

I remember Bob Geldof's speech.

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I thought this was appropriate:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfdSipd6-PQ[/yt]

11. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Illini would work too, though spell check doesn't seem to like it. But where I come from, we always just called you FIBs. ;)

This is an interesting topic, and honestly I think more than anything else you are what you think you are. No one would find it weird if I was interested in the Revolutionary War, it created the country I live in. But I have no connection to it, my family didn't arrive for another 70 years. 19th century Irish history? I owe my existence to it. So it shouldn't be unreasonable for that to hold an importance place in my core.

I would never say I'm Irish, though. I'm American, and Irish-American (which honestly is more about the experience of Irish immigrants in America than it is about Ireland, though Ireland obviously plays some part in that).

12. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Well, we use it only between ourselves really, and neither of us are offended as our respective flavor of Indian, but that's just us.

Speaking of Irish, apologies to all the Irish folk, but I hate St. Patrick's Day and I'm fucking glad it's over! I basically spent my first 15 St Patrick's Days trying to use my green eyes as an out against being pinched because I inevitably forgot to wear green, and the last 15 trying to avoid obnoxious drunken crowds, very few of whose members are likely even Irish!

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I completely agree.

Except for the part about the Doctor. I think your mom had more to do with it than anyone else.

14. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I think people just mean that they are proud of their country and happy about being part of it. Not that they had some special achievement themselves.

15. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To me, while many things contribute to the make up of a person, while it's neat to me personally that I'm 1/4 Irish, it really didn't contribute to my personality. I'm almost 50yo and just finding out about this, so nothing there having an effect during my formative years.

This is not like my being raised Jewish, being born in the US, in CA in particular, being short, being dependent on glasses, etc, all those factors that went into making me who I am.