Worst Star trek actor ever

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Overlord, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Scott Bakula.

2. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

...and I disagree with you, Keith1701. While I am fine with Gates McFadden, Diana Muldaur was possibly the best doctor in all of 24th century Trek. Her character made an excellent foil for Picard; finally, someone to stand up to him! There was never any intent for her to stay more than one season. She was there while Gates McFadden had her baby.

My vote for worst Star Trek actor ever would be Marina Sirtis. She may have had black hair, but she acted like a "stereotypical dumb blonde" throughout most of TNG.

3. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Actually she appeared in two TOS episodes:
    In Truth is There No Beauty
    Return to Tomorrow

And I stand by my opinion re: Gates.

4. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Worst regular: Robert Beltran, he wasn't even trying.

Worst guest star: whoever played Sisko's mother. She was completely wooden.

I'm pretty sure the title of the thread is "Worst Star Trek actor", not "Actor whose voice irritates you the most".

As for Nana Visitor, she is one of the best Trek actors.

Zonker likes this.
  5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm going to go with the nameless ensign from Voyager's "Displaced". From her hilariously over-the-top stunning to the worst line readings ever she fails on every level imaginable.

Jump to 4:20. Her scenes last for 20 seconds.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcvJYhR-8MI&feature=related#t=4m20s[/yt]

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Captain Captain

:guffaw: Wow that was amazingly bad!

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

How is his name any more stupid than Spock, Decius, Dax, Kira, Chang....Well, I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

8. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

Corbin Bensen. His performance as a Q was infuriatingly irritating, and until he showed up, the episode he was in was shaping up to be one of my top 5 favourites. It would be if he hadn't ruined it. I've never seen him in anything else (other than playing himself on "Seinfeld"). Based on his TNG performance, I think he's a hack.

9. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I forgot about Marina Sirtis. I think she got better, though; decent in the films.

Beltran is still worse.

Both were better than I would be, though.

10. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

They never intended for McFadden to return, she was fired and only came back after Muldaur decided to do a movie and was unavailable for the first few episodes of season 3 (she was offered a contract to become a series regular but refused).
    McFaddens pregnancy had NOTHING to do with it, her son was born in 1991, you do the math and tell me what season that was.:rolleyes:

11. Isis

Isis Commodore Commodore

Sorry to be so negative, but I think she has the guests beat, too.

12. Alex1939

Alex1939 Captain Captain

I'm exact opposite, I thought she was fine in the series and then completely out of character in the films, especially Nemesis.

Also a lot of people pick on Jolene Blaylock, but I don't think it was the acting nearly as much as the way the characters was written.

13. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Out of character compared to the series, but it seemed less like she was reading lines, going, "I feel great pain, or whatever."

I agree with you on Jolene. She was full Vulcan. They're stoic. She was fine.

Beltran sounds like oneo f my high schoolers reading from a textbook. Plus the character was bland on top of it.

14. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

No, James Doohan was a good actor. He just did a bad accent.

The worst guest star ever was Melvin Belli in the TOS ep “And the Children Shall Lead.” That is, if a high-profile lawyer trying to act qualifies.

15. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

Leonard Nimoy, Mark Lenard, and Tim Russ all did great jobs playing Vulcan characters. Her bad acting had nothing to do with her character being a Vulcan.

16. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I actually thought Blalock was much better than Tim Russ. She wasn't bad at all.

I do agree that Sirtis was worse in the movies than in the show, but she sucked in the show too.

17. DFScott

DFScott Captain Captain

Guest star: I'm tempted to say, the fellow who plays a guy named Lutan in the fourth episode of TNG. He claims Lt. Yar for his own and tries to trade her for a vaccine. (Now you know the scene, right?) "Then there will be no treaty, no vaccine, and no Lt. Yar!" (Isn't it romantic when a man refers to his lover by her rank?)

But no. The performance which brings abject, seething pain to my mind whenever I dare to recall it, is right here: Michael McKean, taking a break from playing some lawyer, to portray the monochrome clown in the Romper Room of Pain from the first (worst) season of Voyager. Warning: These clips may not be suitable for some humans.

Series regular: Almost a quarter-century ago now, I did something I have to admit that, in retrospect, I regret. Kind of in jest, without coming to recognize the power it would have, I started an online campaign ("online" back then meaning, on one of the pre-Internet national modem networks) to get Lt. Yar's character, um, killed. And to some extent, we were successful. I regret it because, well, that was worse than Denise Crosby deserved, and what I suppose I would have preferred is if she were given a better character and she had the time to adapt to it. Because in "Yesterday's Enterprise" (which took place in a timeline where her character did not die), Crosby was truly the star of the episode.

I've said it before, but Denise, I'm still sorry.

A lot of people disagree with me on this, but it's my opinion: The most disappointing performance overall from a series regular, from the front of the series to the back, comes from Avery Brooks. Too many of his episodes seemed to have been phoned in. There comes. A time. When you wish. Each sentence. Were not. Delivered. Like a bad. Shatner. Impression. From deep inside. A mayonnaise jar.

Who would I have preferred? I don't think there are many people who would disagree with me (even if they liked Brooks) that a superb Capt. Sisko would have been portrayed by Phil Morris.

All that said, my Spock's Brain award for truly worst performance by a regular performer goes to Robert Beltran as Chakotay. Seriously, something handcrafted by Edgar Bergen would have done a better job. Oh yea, his character wasn't written all that well. And I agree with his critique of his character and of himself. Doesn't change anything.

And I dare anybody to come up with clear reasons why Wes Studi would not have been a far greater Chakotay. Studi would have been for Chakotay what Nimoy was for Spock. He would have been a reason to watch the show. His interplay with Kate Mulgrew would have been phenomenal. Completely missed opportunity there.

DF "Why Talk When You Can Dance?" Scott

18. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I agree. She was really good.

I'd have to go with Beltran, too, but he did it on purpose.

Not that his acting was particularly bad, but does anybody have any idea exactly why John Cho was cast as Sulu? I mean, I see why they picked Pine, or Quinto, or Saldana, or Yelchin. They all (more or less) resembled their predecessors and/or brought something new to the role. I can't see that with Cho. His only resemblence to Takei is that they're both of Asian heritage, and that's it. Neither does he do anything in the movie that actually stands out (yes, Sulu did the fencing scene, but that was mostly done by a stuntman, not Cho).

19. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

^I like John Cho, both as an actor and as Sulu. Hopefully he will have more character development in future films.

20. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Hmmmm. Zips off to start a new thread...:devil:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.