"Two Takes" Frakes

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by 2takesfrakes, Apr 17, 2014.

1. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I cannot view the video in the first post at work. Why did he get this nickname? - Is it as boring as "he gets it done in two takes or less" or is there a more interesting story behind it? Does anywhere have a full list of his directoral work? I am just asking because I recently watched and enjoyed Breaking Bad and I'd love it if he'd been involved in that!

Thanks.

2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

imdb.com should have a listing of his directorial endeavors, separate from his appearances.

3. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not only am I an unabashed Jonathan Frakes fan, but I'm also a closet "General Hospital" fan, so I like Genie as well. I didn't know they made furniture (which ties into a third interest of mine), so I'm happy to learn about that.

4. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Insurrection has got a sh*t script, but at least Frakes himself was able to wrestle some chemistry out of the actors.

All those scenes between the regulars have got at least as much pizazz as anything we saw them do in the series, even though the story as written is so full of crap it's almost bursting the banks with it's own mediocrity.

End result: good job Frakes, bad job Rick Berman & Michael Piller. :D

By contrast, everybody in Nemeshit just looks so tired. Including the allegedly ageless android.

My point is that Nemesis goes wrong in it's delivery somewhere. The director squandered the chemistry which was apparent on the written page (and yes, Nemesis's script does do a good job of capturing that chemistry).

It's clear that the actors all spent a day listening to Stuart Baird blather on, and they just gave up.

I am confident that wouldn't have happened if Frakesy was still in the director's chair. ;)

5. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I, myself, have an interest in interior design. Genie Francis is such a sweetheart - and Jonathan Frakes couldn't have chosen better. He's aged a lot faster than she has, though ... :lol:

This is not an official site. It is in fact run by a fan of hers, but it's quite complete, as near as I can tell. What's more, she does offer a Gallery, containing assorted photos of various quality - including some of Genie and Jonathan huggin' & squeezin' ...

http://www.geniefrancis.com/

6. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

/\ Well, he is 10 years older than her, so that might have something to do with it. :lol:

7. 2takesfrakes

Until now, you've been awefully quiet, WillsBabe! What are your thoughts, feelings, opinions and insights into Jonathan Frakes? Let's have it from a woman's perspective ...

8. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

To be sure, when TNG first started I was not a fan of Frakes. Looking back, the only excuse I can offer is that when he walked, I thought he was trying too hard to mimic John Wayne's walk and being a fan of Duke, I thought he poking fun at both Duke and Star Trek and I didn't like it.

Anyway, all these years on, I have become a great admirer of both Jonathan Frake's work on TNG (other shows, too) and his ability to direct. Reading about him and listening to him convinced me that he really gave his best to Trek and tried to raise the bar on the quality of the franchise. His directing ability is also really quite good and the quality of his work is noticeable. I did not know that he directed an episode of Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. - I hope he gets a few more gigs. I really do enjoy that show. Finally, yes, he really should have directed Nemesis. I have no doubt that with his input - both in having some influence in making script adjustments and directing the cast - that the movie would have been far better.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  9. WillsBabe

LOL. No pressure, then! I wouldn't call myself a fan of Frakes, per se, although I do like his alter ego. I thought he did a great job with directing First Contact. There seemed to be a lot of him on the screen, even when he wasn't on screen, if that makes any sense. One of my favourite scenes in the whole of TNG is the bar scene in First Contact. I love how laid back he is in that scene. Other than that, there isn't much else I can tell you! :lol:

10. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I always thought it was really disappointing that this stupid "Thunderbirds" movie killed his feature directing career. I really would have liked to see how he would have done with something more serious and similar to "First Contact" in tone in the feature world. Unfortunately Hollywood doesn't forgive big time flops like that unless you have a really big name.

He seems to have come to terms with being "relegated" to TV and is certainly very busy with that career but still, given his work on "First Contact" and what he still managed to get out of the weaker "Insurrection" script, it seems like wasting his talents.

It's still good to see that a few of the actors that went through the "Star Trek"-Director's school are still very successful in the TV business. Besides Frakes, Robert Duncan McNeil and Roxann Dawson have become very busy TV director's and often times directing producers like McNeil on all of "Chuck" and Dawson on the first season of "Scandal".

11. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would not mind seeing him direct Star Trek III/XIII, though the odds of Paramount making that happen are zip/zilch/nada. The current cast has plenty of chemistry, and I think he'd do a great job of emphasizing that over the no-doubt plenty of action scenes. The only thing is that he'd have to get a handle on shakycam and more dynamic, kinetic moving shots. Frakes is a student of film and will put in tons of research to for the right style, which is always a plus.

12. varek

varek Commander Red Shirt

Jonathan Frakes was fantastic on all the Star Trek series in which appeared as Will (and sometimes also Thomas) Riker, of course! But I also loved his appearances on the Roswell series! He was so funny and so approachable, one has to admire him.

He also appeared on that Syfy series about the unusual, but I've forgotten its name.

As he mentioned in that appearance/interview, he has directed and produced several series, so he is a man of many talents.

Finally, although the books are not regarded as canon, my appreciation for Captain (now Admiral) Riker--and also for his "twin," Thomas Riker--has grown considerably, through those stories, and I think he is an even better captain than Captain Picard, his longtime mentor. When Picard and Riker make different decisions, I find myself agreeing with Riker every time.

I think it is time we start giving Riker and Frakes the respect they have so convincingly deserved all these years.

13. 2takesfrakes

Never! No pressure, here. Only Fun and Fantasy. And I'm with you, as far as being a Will Riker Fan, in particular. He's my favourite First Officer! He's so relatable, you know? He's a real "Every Man," in that sense. And not just men relate to him. There are a lot of women, certainly, who recognise his many worthy attributes. This one's for you, WillsBabe:

[​IMG]

14. WillsBabe

Thanks! I'm flattered! :mallory: I think I like item one the best.

15. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Hey 2takesfrakes, that's Johnny 5's theme and no one elses. :p

16. 2takesfrakes

:rommie: >>SNORT!!!<<
    Here's the OFFICIAL video to the song. Regardless, ladies ... let Commander William T. Riker satisfy all of your fantasy needs, in any case ...

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVtaVrUAPK0[/yt]

17. 2takesfrakes

That's the Process of Erosion™ at work, as it's the first place female fans go for - always wanting to run their fingers through his hair ...

18. 2takesfrakes

:):techman:

19. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Me too! "You're blended all right." :guffaw:

20. varek

varek Commander Red Shirt

Awesome video of Bonnie Tyler! She was obviously singing about 2takesfrakes, aka Will Riker.