Where's All The X-Files Love?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by GemHaters, Jan 15, 2012.

1. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the show, beginning to end. A genre classic, then and now.

2. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Awwww. :adore:

My husband introduced me to it after we got married. I definitely wouldn't have watched it on my own, but it was fun to put on an ep at night. We stopped as we got to one of the later seasons, mostly because we got busier but then he also told me the eps weren't as good. I'm not sure if I want to go back and finish the rest.

I had seen the first movie when it first came out (having never seen the show), so we rewatched that and I enjoyed it more.

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

No, the second X-Files movie came out a year before T4. It was up against some small, art house film that Christian Bale starred in. Heath Ledger was in it too. Can't think of the title...

4. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it debuted the following week, but yeah, I would think it did do it some damage.

The international take wasn't a total disaster though, considering the budget. I am sure it turned a profit once it hit the home media market.

Personally I really enjoyed I Want To Believe. I thought it was a very enjoyable character piece. Although it probably could have done with having a more supernatural orientated storyline, rather than what we got, which was more of a mad scientist thing.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It likely broke even, and even made a little profit, but it didn't do big business. The reduced production budget compared to the first film ($35 million vs. $66 million, and when you adjust that for inflation, its $35 million vs. $87 million) suggests that Fox made the film as a bit of a test to see if The X-Files still had some life left in it as a franchise.

Since we haven't heard anything in four years, I'd say that Fox decided it wasn't worth taking a gamble on a more expensive mythology movie. As much as I want to see that movie, they're probably right. Still, it's a shame we couldn't get a telemovie or something to tie things up.

7. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, never say never. There's always a possibility for a mini-series or something, however unlikely

Does anybody know anything about this new Fencewalker film Carter has self-financed? It all seems to be extremely secret, I can't even find a plot outline.

8. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i love the X-Files. i can still remember watching the pilot episode and being pretty creeped out. i remember the first movie was a big deal among me and my friends. i tried to give Agent Doggett a chance...but the show just wasn't the same.

9. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really liked Doggett, Robert Patrick was great. Was rather indifferent about Reyes, though. And I thought Cary Elwes was way too slimy and too obviously corrupt.

10. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have always felt that The X-Files should have ended when Mulder left the show. It was always about Mulder's search for the truth, and if there was no Mulder, it should end.

The X-Files is the perfect example of a show sticking around too long.

11. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

yeah i agree there...

i pretty much gave up on the show when Mulder left... it lost it's spark... kept flicking back just to see if they'd actually do anything with the over-arc for the actual show, sadly nothing ever materialised :(

M

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

If I told you the story of our relationship, you'd think it was a badly written romance novel.:lol:

13. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps he finally got in too deep and couldn't find a way out? :confused:

They are of their era, but you know, I actually like that. I think the first season has some really, really great eps with a good balance between the arc and the standalones, and a nice amount of experimentation around who our characters really are. I certainly prefer S1 to some of the late seasons.

14. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I agree. Some things still look contrived or don't quite match up but overall it hangs together much better than people give it credit for. I also happen to really like season seven. It has some goofy episodes but it also has a lot of stellar ones.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Season seven isn't awful, but Duchovny looks so bored in almost every episode. Without the crazy enthusiasm he brought to earlier seasons, it just wasn't the same. But he brought that back in season eight.

16. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Yeah, I have to be a defender of Season 1. It may be dated, but it just has really great vibes. Every episode was very atmospheric, which I think was lost a little bit when the budget was increased.

17. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

I'll always have a fondness for the show and I've been thinking of doing a re-watch lately. Word is they are working on a script for a new movie. I believe Gillian Anderson mentioned something about it in an interview recently. Whether that translates to an actual third movie though is anyone's guess.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

19. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Season 1 is dated? News to me! I just watched it over the last few months and enjoyed the heck out of it.

Okay, the giant cell phones and ancient computers "date" it, but the stories are still just fine!

20. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

There was a bit of disconnect from the alien conspiracy to the rest of the crazy stuff they encountered.

Why fight alien invasion when you know there's an afterlife/reincarnation?

Or why not use witchcraft to fight aliens?

To fight the conspiracy, assemble a team of flukeman, teenage witches, fat sucker guy, butt dwarf, vampires, gender swappers...all under Skinner, who'd be like Professor X. :cool: