NBA 2012-13 Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by SmoothieX, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

That isn't how over / under works. ;)

The Lakers have a lot of problems, in that they're old and slow. Nash turned out to be a horrible fit, and D'Antoni's inability to use Gasol effectively seems indicative of a systemic problem. They obviously aren't going to amnesty Kobe, but they can't count on him being a major contributor in the early part of next season (if at all). I have to think that Howard stays and tries to rebuild his reputation, but the team has a lot of holes to fill elsewhere.

2. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I pretty much agree. But one question that has been brewing among Lakers fans is; will Dwight somehow let it be known that his re-signing depends on firing D'Antoni. If he does this, and that is a big "if", then, IMO, the Lakers will fire D'Antoni in less than a heartbeat. But as long as D'Antoni keeps promoting the inside out offense that got us into the playoffs, Dwight will likely be okay wiht another year with him. But I don't think D'Antoni is a championship coach. I hope he does sooner rather than later.

Another big issue is whether or not they keep Gasol another season. Considering the major financial hit the team will take next season if they keep Pau, it is hard to imagine not dealing him. They'll wait to sign Dwight before tading him, of course. If we can get a some quickness at small forward and/or point guard, the team could be back in business by this time next season.

Kobe vs the "inside out" offense will be the story, which is kind of Kobe vs Dwight by proxy. But as Magic once said about Kobe v Shaq after Phil was hired the first time, "Shaq say he wanna win, Kobe say he wanna win -- we gon' see".

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I really don't see this happening; Howard's reputation is already in the tank, and the last thing he needs is to get a label of being a coach-killer.

4. gblews

And it would be his second time being labled as such, so yeah, I agree it's not likely to happen.

The Lakers, in response to "will D'Antoni be brought back' questions, have emphasized D'Antoni's "flexibility" as being just one of the reasons he will be back. "Flexibiliy" is code for "doofus dropped that BS offense of his that needs an in-his-prime-Steve Nash" in order to work, for an offense that fits the team's actual personnel. That offense runs through the bigs similar to the Tri so Dwight is probably not "unhappy" with this.

5. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Commander Red Shirt

I am glad the Celtics were not swept small victories

6. gblews

I am glad the Lakers have 5 championships since 2000, instead of just one in the last 25 years -- "small victories". ;)

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

With the way your team is going, it might be a while before you get another championship, unfortunately.

8. gblews

How so? Once we re-sign Dwight we'll have him, Kobe, Pau, as our core. Add Jordan Hill to that mix also. That is better than many teams, even spme of the younger ones.

Had we not been so beat up in the SA series, I bet that series goes to 7 games or the Lakers win it in 6. San Antonio is just not that good. In the last regular season meeting, because we had outside shooting and Dwight had more room to work, he pretty much threw Tim Duncan around like a rag doll.

People look at those last four games and are blinded a bit because we looked so bad. In reality, this team really only needs some small tweaks, like some more back court and small forward speed and scoring. Granted, filling those holes will be a challenge, but we've done it before and fully expect that the front office will do it again.

The issue that may continue as a negative is Mike D'Antoni.

BTW, what did I tell you aboiut Denver? I realize it's not over, but your boys have a chokehold on it right now

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It just seems to me that resigning Howard might be a mistake in LA. He's a cancer, and it showed all season long that he doesn't have what it takes to win. Also, Kobe is on the downside of his career, and Gasol wasn't all that great this year either. Also, I agree with you regarding D'Antoni. Let's just say how I see D'Antoni is pretty much how you saw Nelson during the Warriors playoff run.

As for the Warriors, tough loss last night but they showed they didn't quit. I have this strong feeling they will get it done at home in Game 6. That was a hell of a comeback though that just came up short.

10. gblews

Some of your perceptions of Dwight are likely based on what happened in the first half of the season. He was a different player after the break. Most people outside L.A. are unaware of this. He stopped complaining about lack of touches and finally seemed to come to grips with the fact that he was not the primary focus on offense -- although he was right about the (retooled) offense needing to be run throuh him or Pau in the low post.

Pau Gasol is still an elite low post offensive player. His problems though, can be directly linked to D'Antoni's continued failure as a head coach. Even if Dwight signs elsewhere, we'd still have Pau and he is stilll better, on offense at least, than most other centers in the league.

BTW, IMO, Don Nelson was a better coah head coach than D'Antoni, so that gives you an idea of how I feel about Mikey.

Lastly, the "downside" of Kobe's career is still better than nearly every other player's "upside" in the league. However, his recovery does at least raise a question.
    I agree that the end will likely come in game six. It had better, if the Warriors hope to move on.

Not only do I continue to believe that Denver is not a team built for the playoffs, I also don't have that much faith in George Karl. Any coach who has trouble managing superstar egos is not going to win many (maybe "any") NBA championships. That's Karl.

11. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Well, this Thunder game has been wholly pathetic and embarrassing. I have no words. :vulcan:

12. gblews

Congrats to the Warriors for showing the Nuggs that they STILL miss Carmelo. I knew the acqusition of Bogut would eventually make a difference.

But I wouldn't get my hopes up to high (Warriors fans) at this point. Most of the teams who are left, Memphis, Spurs, Thunder, even the Clips, all have complete rosters in addition to having one or two dogs (Thunder "had" 3, now just one) who they can lean on when defenses get tight in late in the game (unlike Denver). They also play defense and rebound and don't expect to win solely by running you up and down the court.

Still though, impressive win by the Warriors. I really like Mark Jackson. The guy is a winner, IMO.

13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Da Bulls beat New Jersey in game 7 for the right to get annihilated by the Heat.

I was a little surprised Chicago pushed it to 7 games, much less won the series. Their second half of the regular season was so up & down.

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

And they made Rihanna move her show for nothing!

15. gblews

Nets have no heart, none whatsoever.

16. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

What is it about the Bulls that makes them such a tough opponent for the Heat? You can talk about the Heat being rusty after the long wait following their sweep of the Bucks. But the Bulls are with out three of their top players, in Rose, Deng and Hinrich.... and a brutal series against the Nets. And here those same Bulls are about to take game 1 against the Heat! On the road!!!

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  18. Neroon

Heckuva shot off of a sweet pass!

19. gblews

I think it was a combination of the Bulls having the kind of defensive scheme that bothers the Heat and gives confidence to the Bulls, and the effects of the layoff and some complacency by the Heat. Miami might get extended to 6 or possibly 7, in this series. Damn, Thibs is a great coach.

You know, I had forgotten that after so many years of being great defenders, defense is no longer what wins games for the Spurs. They have morphed into a running-scoring team who are not on the level as the Warriors when it comes to that mode of offense. The Spurs are going to have to find some of that old defensive prowess if they hiope to win their series. They are going to need homecourt I think.

BTW, thanks (again) Bulls for quickly ensuring that the Heat won't break the Lakers 2001, 17-1 record run to the ring. :)

20. Neroon

Interesting stat - the Bulls have a 9-8 record against the Heat since the "Big 3" came together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.