So what are you reading, now? Part V

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Brefugee, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Last time on this thread!

So another six months have passed and with it another 1000 posts have been and gone resulting in part five of this somewhat, semi epic thread.

So the question is, what are you reading?

I myself am still rereading the Harry Potter series of books, I'm about half way through Half Blood Prince.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm rereading Alan Dean Foster's Star Trek Logs for the first time in many years. I'm struck by how often his descriptions of the appearance of things matches what was onscreen, often more so than is typical for novelizations. I'm wondering if he saw the episodes in advance or had access to storyboards. (That's assuming the 1993 editions I'm reading didn't have any rewriting done.)

3. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

I'm finishing up The Delta Anomaly, after which I'll be moving on to Tablet & Pen, an anthology of writing from the Muslim world which I got from someone a while back as a belated birthday present after putting it on my Amazon Wishlist.

4. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I'm reading The Great American Wolf, but keep getting distracted by Asimov's The Golden Door.

5. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Finished 'Engines of Destiny' and am working on Strange New Worlds #9. Good books.

6. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Finished Seize The Fire, and (gasp) actually mostly liked it. Review is in that thread.

I was going to start the Vorkosigan Saga, but I read the first couple pages of Cryptonomicon to a friend to explain why Neal Stephenson was so awesome, and found myself hooked again. So it looks like I'm re-reading that next.

7. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[LEFT]Half way through my last Patricia Highsmith novel, Tremor of Forgery. Good stuff. She wrote 18 novels and I think a third were classics, a third were pretty good and a third, not so good. She had a tendency to finish off some books with the sudden and inexplicable death of a major character, leaving you with a feeling that she couldn't come up with an ending.

Also half way through Little Fuzzy in preparation Scalzi's Fuzzy Nation which is coming out next year.

Only Star Trek books I'm planning to read by the end of the year, and I might not get to them, are the Shattered Light and What's Past trades.
    [/LEFT]

8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Zero Sum Game
    Replay by Ken Grimwood

9. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

^Replay is one of my favorite books.

I just read Darkship Thieves and Citadel. I'm really enjoying Ringo's new series (even if Citadel started a bit slow until Tyler Vernon came back into the story).

10. Smitty

Smitty Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am about 50% through the last Destiny book and about 24% through Iain M Banks "Consider Phlebas".

11. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now up to about the last hundred pages of Kavalier & Clay.

What books do people have on their Christmas list? I've got Stephen King's Full Dark, No Stars and The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman.

12. Lee T

Lee T Captain Captain

I just finished "Loosing the peace" weird book. Not a bad book, but seeing the Feds being scandalized and shocked in face of things quite mild compared to what some real humans are going through today disconnected me from the characters.

I think it's about them coming to terms with the post war horrors and realizing the necessary commitment to restore the Federation, but it made some of the characters look like pampered privileged crying about a broken nail.

Currently reading "Wintersmith" by T. Pratchett.

I liked this one a lot.

13. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Recently finished "Shaken" by J.A. Konrath. It's his latest Jack Daniels book. Very good thriller.

I've just started Game Of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin. haven't read any of Martin's work since the Armmegedon Rag and Fever Dream, so I thought it was high time again.

Sean

14. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

But you need to remember that what real humans are going through today is 400 years into the past for these characters. These people are, by our standards, absolutely lead very privileged and pampered lives.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  15. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

I'm currently reading Weight of Stone by Laura Anne Gilman, the second book of her Vineart War series, and a strong recommend (along with Book One, Flesh and Fire).

16. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Gasp! I'm actually not in the middle of a hardcopy book for the first time in a long time. I do have Cormac McCarthy's 'The Crossing' on my bedside waiting to be cracked, but have yet to do so for the last few days- very odd.

I just got back from a month-long holiday to South Africa and I read (naturally) Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom. Highly recommended and a real page turner (although very, very long and took me almost the whole month to read!

On my iPhone I'm almost finished with KRAD's Time for War/Peace. Looking forward to moving into the TNG relaunch series that is discussed so much around these parts.

17. Sxottlan

Sxottlan Commodore Commodore

I finished Federation. I really enjoyed it. I've long said the best villains in Trek are human and Thorsen is no exception.

Kind of funny the double whammy this book suffered with the first two TNG films basically making this plot irrelevant. At least in terms of Cochrane. Did this actually come out after Generations? That seems to make the meeting of the two ships within the black hole kind of redundant. Then again, I was surprised when they actually didn't really communicate openly or actually meet face to face.

I'm reading Zero Sum Game right now.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Rumor has it Ben Affleck wants to direct a movie version.

19. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I'm currently reading Zero Sum Game, Vengeance in Death by J.D. Robb & Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet.

All as eBooks on my Sony Reader PRS-650.

20. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm about to finish Seven Deadly Sins, and will later tonight begin the long awaited Myriad Universes III.

If it's finished drying from all my drool that is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.