The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes cartoon cancelled

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jun 6, 2012.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It could even be said the movie was basically a version of EMH.

But along with the redubbing of Josh Keaton's voice work as Spidey with that of Drake Bell's in EMH, this really just reeks of a decision to tie all of the Marvel cartoons into one very cohesive universe, perhaps even to the extent of using the same kind of animation and character designs currently being used by Ultimate Spider-man (we could see the exact same versions of Nick Fury and other characters in both). The upcoming Hulk: Agents of S.M.A.S.H. will probably do the same thing, IMO.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I read a quote yesterday suggesting that the new show might actually be in the Marvel Cinematic Universe continuity, rather than simply evoking its feel. It was ambiguous, but if that is what the speaker meant, then it would have to be a distinct show.

(Although I'd expect it to be more the kind of thing that purports to be in the movie's continuity but that the sequels don't really bother to stay consistent with, like MTV's CGI Spider-Man series or the DC Star Trek comics that came out between the '80s movies.)

4. C.E. Evans

Promotional artwork. The actual character designs for animation are bound to be modified, but the initial roster is there (with several more members reportedly coming as the series goes along). Falcon will be apparently the newest member of the team as the series begins, so things will be told from his perspective at first.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is no way they could justify the expense of animating a weekly serial that articulately.

6. C.E. Evans

I agree. I doubt that the characters will look exactly like that on the promotion. They used Marvel artists to draw the covers to the Ultimate Avengers DVD movies.

7. Guy Gardener

But it's cartoon for children.

Tony can't drink.

The Hulk can't eat people.

Thor can't say that he's a better GOD than Jesus.

Blackwidow can't kiss girls.

Hawkeye can't have arrows with pointy ends.

And...

Nope.

It's almost impossible to make Captain America even pg13.

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Young justice?

Ultimate spider-man?

Obviously these are my own preferences on which series has the best animation

9. Christopher

^That's not what he's saying. Those shows are well-animated, of course, but the character designs are not nearly as detailed or textured as those in the promotional poster. As a rule, more streamlined designs work better in animation.

10. Guy Gardener

Bingo.

I was talking about the promo art.

Bait and switch.

Unless they think that they can sell a lot of toys and t-shirts to justify the expense of taking 4 times as long as it does to generate Earth's Mightiest heroes and 15 times longer than it does to animate an episode of Southpark, more power to 'em... More power to Loeb.

"Loeb the Powerful!"

(Sigh.)

11. Christopher

I don't think it's a "bait and switch" to portray animated characters in a different art style in the promotional material than in the show itself. Heck, the opening titles of Batman: The Animated Series show Batman as a still painting (or mostly so) in a couple of places, which is very different from the style in which he's rendered in the show proper. It's no different from a comic book having a photorealistic, painted Alex Ross cover and more conventional line art inside. Or a live-action movie being promoted with a painted poster rather than a photo-montage one.

12. Guy Gardener

There are degrees of bait and switch.

It's a sliding scale not a fixed point.

Some switches are more forgiveable than others.

I'm not Draco.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  13. jep316

jep316 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So DC makes crappy Movies(except Batman) and great Animated shows,Marvel makes great Movies(except Ghost Rider) and crappy Animated shows. :wtf:

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^ Marvel makes good animated shows. They are the first ones canelled.

15. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Season 2's writing was substantially weaker than season 1's.

As such, this cancellation doesn't even qualify as moderately unpleasant news. A new show based on the same source material is already decided upon, after all.

16. Guy Gardener

But here's the rub.

All the stories they already done just now in EMH...

It's DO-over Time for the new toon.

(DOOT?)

I mean every-time they reboot X-Men, the writing team is working their way towards the Dark Phoenix Saga.

17. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Why an Antman statue memorial when Pym gave the Antman costume/gear to Lang?

EMH's Serpent Society look too much like He-Man enemies, except Constrictor.

Should've put this in the general discussion thread...whoops.

18. Guy Gardener

Pym hadn't taken on another identity as yet.

I always like giANT Man.

When I was younger, I thought that the relationship between the words was clever.

Now that I'm dead inside, it just "is".

Though if Pym was never Goliath, that kinda takes the steam out of Hawkeye when he becomes Goliath, the Bad-Goliath who becomes Atlas and Black Goliath who Stark got murdered because he was asshole and Captian America got killed because he had a stick up his ass.

So many bad choicesin that civil war.

"Frank is a psycho becuase he goes out every night to beat men to death in white gloves".

I think Garth wrote that before Desperate Housewives started.

19. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I found season one on netflix many months ago.. I loved it my son is/was super into it. I was very happy to here that season 2 was coming out.

Saying all that I totally understand why it's being cancelled. It on Disney XD. For my local cable thats about 3 jumps in service over what I get.

20. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/19/the-boy-who-hated-ultimate-spider-man/