Betazoid? why zoid?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by xvicente, May 15, 2013.

1. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

When I first heard Troi was a "betazoid", I didnt know what that word meant. The suffix 'oid' was odd there.

I thought she would look like, I dont know, a squid or whatever.

Then someone said, betazoids are from Betazed.

The universal translator must have had a glitch. The word don't sound like a demonym.

Why Betazoid and not Betazedean, like Organian, Andorian, Vulcan, Alderaanian, Romulan, see what I am saying?

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why assume the naming conventions of aliens have to conform to ours?

3. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Earthian?

4. R. Star

Humanoid?

5. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Could just be their own term that made it into Fed standard. Like Michigander.

6. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

They also don't say Data is an android bcause he is from the planet Androida. That would be silly.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  7. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I think its simply a case of why not?

Not many species have an 'oid', so it immediately makes them different. And as said before, they're alien so they don't need to stick to human naming systems.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's better than Betazedan or Betazite.

The -oid suffix literally means "resembling," and tends to be used in fiction to refer to creatures that resemble another type of creature. "Android" means "resembling a man," for example. "Humanoid" is a linguistically inaccurate term for humanlike creatures ("hominid" would be more accurate etymologically, though not taxonomically). So you'd usually see the term applied in such descriptive ways, like "felinoid," "insectoid," and the like.

I've seen other aliens in fiction whose names ended in -oid, though usually in less serious contexts, like Buckaroo Banzai's Lectroids. And there are the eponymous creatures of the Metroid video games. I think there's a cheesy B-grade horror movie called Inseminoid. But there must be a fair amount of sci-fi monsters with names ending in -zoid (which would literally mean "resembling an animal"), given that Futurama used "Zoidberg" as a gag alien name. There was a toy line called Zoids once.

Oh, and in the universe of my novel Only Superhuman, there's a cheesy kids' show where the main alien villains are called Zelkoids, so I've done it myself.

9. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It sounds better than Betanoid.

10. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well Humans aren't from the Planet Hume, the people of Ferenginar aren't called Ferenginarians, & the Klingons originate on a world called Qo'noS. It's fair to say there's no rule book on nomenclature.

11. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Why would you think she would look like a squid? Were you only listening to the TNG episodes? When did you learn Troi was a humanoid female? Just today?

12. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To be fair she was squidy-like in Genesis.

13. Christopher

Except that in "Heart of Glory" it was implied that Klingons came from the planet Kling. And the novel The Final Reflection called it Klinzhai.

He said "when I first heard," so I'd assume he's referring to his assumption from reading about the character before he saw the show.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Martia in TUC described herself as a Chameloid. I assumed that was her species' name. Though for what it's worth, did we EVER encounter another shapeshifting alien that wasn't a Founder?

15. Christopher

Oh, yes, plenty. Here's a list of about 30, though it includes some incorporeal superbeings like Q, some that were just illusion-casters like the salt vampire, and some who used technology to change or disguise themselves. But I'd say there are at least nine corporeal species other than Changelings that could change their shape naturally: the Wraith from ENT: "Rogue Planet," the unnamed shapeshifting thieves from ENT: "Two Days and Two Nights," the Antosians from TOS: "Whom Gods Destroy," the Vendorians from TAS: "The Survivor," the Chameloids from TUC, the space jellyfish from TNG: "Encounter at Farpoint," the Allasomorphs from TNG: "The Dauphin," the coalescent organism from TNG: "Aquiel," and Steth from VGR: "Vis a Vis." (And the genetically enhanced Suliban, but that falls a bit outside "naturally.") Plus some that might have been using either shapeshifting or illusion projection, like the Devidians from TNG's "Time's Arrow" or the abductors from TNG: "Allegiance."

16. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I feel bad for the people of the Hemorrh system.

17. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You're a droid, and I'm a 'noid.

18. R. Star

Data should've pushed Guinan overboard after -that- bad joke.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Betazed was probably named just like Delta was: A code name given to it by the human explorers who made first contact. Similar to the Deltans (who are actually from 'Dhei' of the star 'Lta', and the humans who visited them simply shortened it to 'Delta' - thank you Christopher), the Betazoids' own name for the planet is probably completely different. I'm guessing whoever made first contact with them simply gave it a letter combination, i.e. 'Beta' and 'Zed'.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Vulcans aren't from the planet Vulc.