Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Depends on if he was the one who signed off on the whole dropping radioactive meteors on Earth thing.

2. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Hopefully we will find out more about Dessler. He's supposedly assassinated this time around. But this is Dessler. He's harder to kill than a cockroach. He doesn't stay dead...usually to our benefit.

My interests of late have been warships and background materials. Putting the pieces together (again) is its own project since several thing are either different, or not longer "assumed only" material.

As a reminder: Yamato 2199 starts on TV April 7th at 5 pm Tokyo Time on MBS-TBS stations. (there are only two days left).

Chapter 5 comes to theaters a week later on the 13th. The BD will be out 6 weeks after that on the 28th of May.

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Assassinated??? :eek: Hmmm...don't know if I like that story. Then again, in the original series, he did jettison himself into deep space without aid of a pressure suit, only to be discovered and brought back to life by the White Comet forces. If he did get clipped, I highly doubt that he would stay dead for very long.

4. Ithekro

I think the assassination plot was from one of the manga. Not sure if they will use the whole thing or just a failed attempt on Dessler's life that is caught rather than the manga version (Dessler's armed harem to the rescue?)

Could lead to a civil war in the Empire at the time Yamato is closing in, weakening the defenses so that they don't have to blast their way through tens of thousands of warships shooting at them. Cause even Yamato's shields and armor have limits.

But then Yamato has its own problems.

About the only sure thing in this series? That Yamato get home with the device to clean up Earth. (or at least the device makes it to Earth). But people living and dying? The game is different. No one is for sure safe anymore.

My assumption would be that the end of this season will at least have everyone around who was suppose to be alive for the original second season. But that is not a certain thing....even if they have introduced many characters from later seasons and films already.

5. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is it confirmed that this series is supposed to launch a second season?

6. RangerH

RangerH Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I haven't seen anything at Anime News Network about it. It may or may not be in the works at this time. If it is, then that will be great.

7. Ithekro

No word on if they will make a second season from this show.

All speculation is based on the previous version of this show from the 1970s and 1980s where there were three seasons and five movies, plus manga.

8. RangerH

9. Ithekro

Yes, but no one decided to destroy Naboo's cities from orbit and clean up the mess with rampaging attack bombers.

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't help but wonder if Palpatine ever considered doing that just for the hell of it though.

11. RangerH

His clone did in the comics with world destroyers. But did not attack Naboo. Also, Imperial/Victory class Star Destroyers could attack from orbit.

That is all off topic now.

But we do see the ruthlessness of the Secret Police headed by Gimleh who is like a certain Nazi (I do not mean Hitler), who did that same thing, since he headed the Gestapo. I am really interested in what Melda was doing and what she will do next.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  12. RangerH

13. Ithekro

For today that is impressive. 40 years ago, when there were less channels, that wouldn't be as good. The orignal series in 1974-75 had an average rating of 6% and that was considered bad. (Its third rerun in 1978, during Yamato Fever was 13.8%)

Yamato 2 (Comet Empire series) had an average rating of 22.9% on its first run in 1978-79. That series was awesome. Also that was the high point of Yamato Fever.

Will lightning strike twice? It is starting to look like it. Will the Yamato Fever return? Maybe.

Just so you know the highest rated anime in Japan is usually Sazae-san, which has been on forever. It is getting in the 10-20% range these days.

14. RangerH

15. RangerH

16. Ithekro

Chapter 5 seems like it will be very awesome when it comes to BD. Lots of charcter development. Use of a number of previously dropped plotline that made it to the manga but were cut in 1974-75 due to ratings and the reductions of episodes. And a few large battles.

Plus the BIG battle should be near the start of Chapter 6, meaning they will be at least three episodes ahead of the original, giving them more room for plot as they get closer to Iscandar.

17. RangerH

Well, you are right about that. I have seen the spoilers for 15-18 and let me tell you, it is a roller coaster ride. So without spoiling it for you all, I will say this, there are many mysteries along the way that ask more questions than answers. Also, someone is going to be assassinated. I will not say who since that will spoil the fun... hehe. As it is, ep 18 will have the dramatic shift in plot. That is all I am saying. Also, the the Bee planet shows up, but I will not spoil that either.

18. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

God, the hype is rising. :lol:

19. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

They actually kept the 'Bee-planet' for this run, eh?

Kinda surprised, but given how they've handled everything else so far; I won't judge until I've received and watched the episode in a month or so.

20. Ithekro

Yes the Beeland planet is there. But what happens there will be a lot different than what happened last time.

Also providing a "logical" reason why the Gamilas were not actively hunting down Yamato as it approached Balun. The defenses in the original seemed rather passive compared to "just send in the fleet" tactic one would expect from a major intergalactic empire.