Murdoch Mysteries...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I first came across these sporadically on CITY-TV at odd times (on the weekends I think). I was somewhat intrigued with the idea of a Columbo style police detective solving crimes in Victorian era Toronto. I found it had a quirky charm and kept me guessing as to who the perpetrator would be in the end. I had no idea the show had been on for a number of seasons already. And I also learned there had been three made-for-TV movies prior to the series. Sadly, I've also learned the show is in its fifth and final season despite being popular and award winning (something having to do with new station ownership). Shame.

Anyway I decided to take a chance and ordered the first season set on Blu-Ray. I'm glad I did! This isn't a really deep and awesome series, but it is wonderfully quirky and interesting. I love the Victorian setting and the depiction of the very earliest inklings of forensic science with which we are already so familiar with today. Detective Murdoch is something of a less eccentric Sherlock Holmes and similarly unassuming Columbo. Inspector Brakenreid is something more than a blowhard superior. Constable Crabtree is good for laugh, but he's not wooden between the ears. And Doctor Julia Ogden makes for an unusual and unlikely 19th century pathologist.

Character moments and development are on the mostly subtle side, but they're there. It's interesting to see these denizens of the 19th century deal with familiar issues in their own way from their Victorian era perspective.

I enjoyed all the first season episodes and I'm eager to get the remaining season sets. I like how I'm kept guessing about the perpetrator. And I like watching Murdoch unravel genuine puzzles.

Anyone else familiar with this?

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Love this show - would love to write one - can't wait for season 6...

Can't help thinking that Brackenreid is Gene Hunt's granddad.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Apparently there isn't going to be a Season 6 unless the show is picked up by another network. I hear a network in the UK is willing to kick in some money if another network would pick it up.

Rogers seems to have bought or bought into CITY-TV and want to put their own stamp on things, which sadly doesn't include Murdoch Mysteries despite it being popular and award winning.

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Correction: I just read that CBC has picked up the show for Season 6.

5. Lonemagpie

CBC have been filming season 6 since spring, having picked it up in November last year...

ETA - ah, so you've seen!

It's actually always been part-funded from the UK, which is why we actually get it *before* Canada...

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'm glad because I understand some things were left dangling in the fifth season (which I haven't seen yet).

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  7. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I have season 1-4 on DVD and will buy season 5 when it becomes available.

I love the show.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I find this show a refreshing change from what else I've seen on network television. I like the appearance of historical figures like Nikola Tesla and Arthur Conan Doyle. I also like hearing references to real streets and locations I've actually walked or heard of having lived in and just outside Toronto for fifty years.

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, I love this show. CBC's picking up Season 6 btw, and I'm happy about that because not everyone has access to CityTV and the show deserves to be seen more. It's really quite an underrated show. It's delightfully fresh. With everything being so dark and gritty these days, I really enjoy the fact that this takes a different approach. I hear there's an American series in production that will be set in the Victorian era, though I forget where exactly. Almost seems like they're taking a cue from this.

10. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the queue.

11. Lonemagpie

Um, not really.

Without spoilering anything, it's *very* clear that the season 5 finale was intended to wrap up the show, because as far as they knew, it was being cancelled. And it would have been a nice enough ending if it had been the end - but I'm glad we're getting more!

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

One of the episodes I happened to catch by chance showed Murdoch and Ogden having some sort of falling out. He goes to the Yukon temporarily and then returns. And I understand Ogden goes to Buffalo at some point, but does she eventually return?

13. Lonemagpie

She comes back in four or five episodes throughout the season

14. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love the show...haven't really watched all of it...but what I have watched is exceptional and I'm a big fan of Yannick Bisson since I first saw him in "Nothing Too Good For A Cowboy" with Sarah Chalke. They were both awesome in that.

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've just finished watching Season 2. Still good, but it felt a bit different with so much attention on the Murduch/Ogden relationship. Mind you I personally don't find Ogden attractive, but thats beside the point.

Looking forward to Season 3.

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've just finished watching Season 4 and continuing to really enjoy this series.

Murdoch has gotten himself into a real pickle by letting that woman go (the one who killed her attacker from years earlier) at the end of the season. I'm eager to see Season 5.

18. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I've only actually seen one episode, but I really did enjoy it. It was available through Netflix instant watch. However, I've been too busy to pick up another show to watch, so I'll have to wait on this one, but I do think I'll like it, it's my kind of show.

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've just finished watching the three made-for-TV movies adapting the first three Murdoch novels written by Maureen Jennings.

Overall they feel a bit more like the original books (granted I've only read the first one so far). They are a touch edgier than the subsequent television series. Peter Outerbridge as William Murdoch seems a bit stuffy at first yet slowly we get to know him and he seems a bit more like the book version of the character. I must say, though, that I didn't care at all for Colm Meaney's portrayal of Inspector Brackenreid---he comes across as a bit over-the-top and forced.

Overall it's a worthwhile viewing and it takes awhile to get into it particularly if you're more familiar with the television series. Yet after all is said and done I do prefer the series and the characters' portrayals. The series feels more energetic, more dynamic and interesting while the telefilms feel a bit more plodding. With that said I'd say I prefer the original novels better. The books are more detailed and more believably plotted and give you a better sense of setting.

Even so it has to be acknowledged that these three telefilms are what generated the interest to get the series off the ground and into production.

20. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Have to agree. The movies are quite nice, but it's hard to compete with the chemistry of the show's cast and how its writers have learned to make good use of that.