David Slade Will Direct Daredevil for Fox

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

DOH! :o
    Yes Directors Cut.

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Yeah, in the theatrical cut, it seems like Fisk gets arrested for the crime of getting beat up by Daredevil. :lol:

3. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Worse than The Last Airbender?

It's actually an extra 33 minutes of footage, resulting in a cut that's 30 minutes longer (due to 3 minutes of conflicting scenes that were cut out). And that's a good thing if only because it's a director's cut that actually gives you your money's worth. So many "director's cuts" just drop in an extra couple minutes of nothing clips and call it a day. The Director's Cut of Daredevil doesn't just add scenes. It totally restructures the movie, switching the order of many scenes, changing the context & meaning of several lines. I suspect very few other director's cuts have been so bold in their changes. Perhaps The Abyss, Blade Runner, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Dark City, & The Lord of the Rings. (Then there's the cynical, shortened TV version of Brazil included on the Criterion Collection DVD.)

Yeah! Represent!

Overall, I think the 1st one gets a bad rap, and I think that's mostly because it was very fashionable to bash Affleck back in 2003. (It hasn't gone totally out of style but it's not a national obsession now like it was 8 years ago.) Frankly, I've liked him in everything I've seen him in. Armageddon, Paycheck, & Pearl Harbor all had decent performances from him, even if the movies left something to be desired. Reindeer Games was a helluva lot of fun! And he's delightfully self-deprecating, depicting himself as an insatiable prostitute murderer in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.

But my favorite performance of his is as Daredevil. I think he does such a good job of capturing the physical & psychological toll of being a superhero. And then, when he meets another wounded soul like Elektra, it's like an answer to a prayer. Plus, Jon Favreau provides great comic relief. While I'm not totally satisfied with the resolution to the Kingpin storyline in either version, I think the movie captures enough of the right feeling that it's worth it, even in the Theatrical Cut. (Plus, I still miss the 1st confessional scene.)

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm wondering now if Slade will get "The Wolverine" like he wanted after Aronosfky has dropped out now. Slade was reported to have had meetings with Jackman and be high in the running until they signed Darren.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

The novelization was based on the original script. I admit I was shocked when I first saw the movie in the theaters at how much of the plot had been cut out. Thank god they let me keep those scenes in the novelization or the book would have been a whole lot shorter!

6. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

It's not, really. He's got a pretty well-developed set of adversaries, certainly enough for a few films.

The original film wasn't bad (and the Director's Cut is much better), but I'm open to them giving the property another shot.

7. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given the increased popularity of "Parkour", I think it'd be really cool if they eschewed the wonky CGI for Daredevil's acrobatics and just hired a really frickin' awesome stuntman. Base the storyline on the Bendis/Maleev run to give it a sorta "'Goodfellas' with superheroes" feel.. I think you got a recipe for a pretty sweet Daredevil flick.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

9. Captaindemotion

Stupid double post.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Bradley Cooper I like. He could work imo.

11. Captaindemotion

Slade speaks here on DD (via his twitter page):

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=75417

[QUOTE
    [LEFT]So without breaking confidentiality, yes Daredevil, we have a great outline for a very strong character driven take on Mr Matt Murdock.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]It will bare no relation to the previous Daredevil movie in any way. We are at early planning stages and have not yet discussed any cast. [/QUOTE][/LEFT]

12. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You mean there won't be a wire fu scene on a playground?

Awwwww that's a bunch of hooey and applesauce!

13. Captaindemotion

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks for bumping the thread man...I'm really eager to see what the news is! I'm kind of excited for this project.

15. Captaindemotion

^YVW and I'm also excited to see the return of old Hornhead. I've liked Slade since 30 Days and I think there could be a great DD movie to be made.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Too bad, I was kinda hoping the rights would revert to Marvel.

17. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was kind of hoping he was still on that 'The Wolverine' list.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Now that I think about it, Slade got lucky. No one going to watch a sequel to that abysmal Wolverine movie if it wasn't made by Aronofsky.

This Daredevil reboot might actually be good.

19. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

So was I.

Daredevil should be done in the vain of Nolan's Batman. He works better as a dark character.

20. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Maybe they should cast Matthew McConaughey. Then it would answer the question: "What if The Lincoln Lawyer was blind and beat the shit out of people?"