Is Netflix a Rip-off?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral James Kirk, Mar 4, 2008.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I can? Please, direct me to this magical place.

Netflix in a helluva lot cheaper than a normal video rental store, and they don't dick you around with late fees.

2. paudemge

paudemge Captain Captain

I think he means the local economies, at least that is what I think he means. Things like netflix and amazon hurt brick and mortar stores.

Which is true online shoping can hurt the local economy.
    But netflix, like BB online offer a far wider selection of movies than could ever be feasible at a brick and mortar store, so netflix and BlockBuster online are offering more than you could walk down the street and get.
    Also I keep hearing about Blockbuster going out of business at least in the brick and mortar stores, but they seem busier now than ever. And we still have 3 of them within about 2 miles of my house.

3. bluedana

bluedana Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, I can return it the next day, having made a choice between staying up later than I want to in order to watch a movie because I have a real life including a full time day job and three kids who all have to be put to bed and well asleep before I can settle down to watch a movie OR returning it unwatched because I never got a consecutive 90-120 minutes in front of the TV.

Or I can order it from Netflix, keep it as long as it takes to actually watch the movie or show, and NOT pay 3-4 times the original cost of renting the disc because of late fees. And it's nice to just drop the red envelope into any mailbox on my way to or from wherever it is that I have to go anyway, rather than scream up the street to the exact store I rented at (even though its a chain) at two minutes to closing time so I don't get charged for another whole day.

Yes, convenience is the downfall of civilization.

4. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Or hope you get the only copy of that obscure little film you just heard about from the brick and mortar store.

Know what really turned me off of the brick and mortars? When I rented the 3rd movie that was so scratched up that my DVD player couldn't play it. I was stuck since they were the only copies of the movie the store had in the first place. :rolleyes: :mad:

At least with Netflix, they'll mail you a replacement.

5. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Plus the instant streaming thing is really great... I mean, heck you can have a bluray player or other home theater or tv that has it built in and not even TOUCH a disk. Which is pretty awesome really, cheaper than pay per view, better than a premium movie station and heh beats having to search out IRC channels and other warez type sites to find a copy of a movie so you can watch it on your computer when you're going to be stuck somewhere for a while.

6. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Commodore Commodore

There's also the fact that places like Blockbuster killed the local market for video stores about fifteen years ago. Netflix might be taking business from Blockbuster, but national chains like Blockbuster mowed under any kind of "local economy" more than a decade ago.

7. Ethan_Hunt_IMF

Ethan_Hunt_IMF Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Many American companies and i do mean mostly American companies, have sent many of their jobs over seas because of cheaper pay rates or to avoid the uselessness of a union and then wonder why no one is buying their product.
    Its simple cause and effect.
    The people who buy your products tend to work for you too.
    THe United States is totally being shafted by NAFTA, a toyata is dirty cheap there but a basic Ford is one of the most expensive cars in places like China and Japan.
    Brick and mortar was the backbone of the american economy. But it takes 2 guys to fullfil those orders you make online as apposed to the multiple amounts of people it could help in YOUR local community.
    Look, Netflix is a great concept and good idea honestly but its just a LITTLE Example, amoung many, of why your economy is crap

8. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I pay $8 a month for 13,000 movies and television shows I can watch instantly. $8 a month? That's two trips to the video store if I only get one DVD at a time, not counting gas. I have no late fees. You see, what Netflix did was tap into a new market and found a way to deliver to that market.

I go to an online university in Phoenix, Arizona. I will have my degree in 17 months. There are two college campuses within 10 minutes of my house. Yet I got the better end of the deal.

See the pattern? This is the new path of business. There will still be brick and mortar stores, but only essential ones. Our economy's not crap because of brick and mortar stores, our economy is crap because it was mishandled by a handful of charlatans.

J.

9. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Is there a laugh track for this post?

Rob

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Netflix is local to me, or reasonably so. They're based in Los Gatos. So I can use em with impunity! ;) What does NAFTA have to do with anything, it's not like they're based in Tijuana or Bangadesh.

Netflix is just an example of a better mousetrap. The Blockbuster and another video store that have gone out of business around my neighborhood have been replaced by a premium wine emporium and a drug store, neither of which are business types that are nearly as much susceptible to internet competition.

And DVDs will eventually be replaced by 100% paid downloads anyway. The notion of going anywhere, even your mailbox, to get a movie is going to be history sooner or later. That's why it's called NETflix.

11. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Since when? They did away with email addresses a year or two ago, they only deal with customer service via phone now.

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

And the idea that Netflix is "bad" because it means people are "lazy" is moronic. When is the last time any of us hauled water home from a well, felled a tree to burn for heat or hunted an animal for food? Or have ever done any of those things? Businesses arose to serve the wishes of people to be "lazy" and avoid doing all that shit. Netflix is just a continuation of a millenia-long trend. If people weren't lazy, there would be no such thing as movies. We'd sit around campfires and make up our own damn entertainment - now there's a local economy!

The irony is that the "evil" internet is a contrary trend - look at us, we're making up our own entertainment here rather than passively waiting to be spoonfed by Hollywood. Even as I type this, I have four Netflix disks sitting five feet away, unwatched. Why? This is more fun! :rommie:

Netflix is the kind of business that keeps economies from being crap. They think of innovative new ways to fill a need. Sure, they do it more efficiently and therefore with fewer employees than the businesses they replace, but the solution is therefore more creative thinking to create more Netflix type businesses.

13. paudemge

paudemge Captain Captain

What is your economy? The biggest impact that internet sales has is probably on local governments that use sales tax to raise revenue. Our economy changes as the demands of the customers change.
    You say Americans are lazy so they won't drive to BB to get a movie when they can just get it in the mail, well this American also sometimes likes to have things right away, so I'll go to bb to get a movie or visit a local merchant to buy something.

14. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

You're funny. Go check a one year currency chart.

15. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

I've had Netflix for a couple of years now and I've been pretty satisfied with it. The only problems I've had with the service is that I'm into niche cult favorite shows that tend to go OOP so my queue will be missing portions of a multi disc show I'm watching.

16. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since I contacted them a month ago via email to resolve a technical issue.

J.

17. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Amazon is only used in America? There's no Amazon Canada, or UK, or Germany, or France?

Or Japan?

Or China? :shifty:

How have those countries managed to avoid the troubles you describe?

Beat me to it. The greenback has been doing fine lately, and it's hardly a secret.

18. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I've been using Netflix for about four years now and with the exception of occasionally sending me broken discs and sometimes sending me TV shows out of sequence in spite of my effort to make sure they're qued up in order I really can't say a single bad thing about them. The price is good, the selection is pretty solid and the customer service has almost always been perfect.

19. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

5.1 surround sound via streaming next week

Oct 14, 2010
    http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ps3-gets-netflix-upgrade-including-dolby-51/1

It's a start.

20. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: 5.1 surround sound via streaming next week

GREAT news!