Last Classic Who Story you watched

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Pindar, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I was more surprised at the fact that it would happen on TV in 1970 than by the Doctor doing so. I would've thought that TV, especially children's TV, in that era had stricter rules about heroes doing illegal things.

2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    The censors probably would have been more upset if the Doctor had run around outside in his hospital gown, with the back flapping open.

3. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He steals a car as well, but there's a scene right at the end of Spearhead... that acknowledges both, when the Brig insists that the car must be returned to its rightful owner, although the Doctor asks to be given something similar (leading to Bessie's introduction in the next story). He then realises that he doesn't even own the clothes he's wearing - "I borrowed them from the hospital!" - which implies that he returns them too, and then takes to wearing an identical outfit of his own.

By the time of the TVM and The Eleventh Hour however, he seems to have become a bit more carefree about such things (cases of the writers homaging Spearhead... without the original's acknowledgement of the theft, although he did "borrow" the TARDIS after all so there's a precedent):

Amy: "You kept the clothes?"

Doctor: "Well, I just saved the world, the whole planet, for about the millionth time, no charge; yeah, shoot me, I kept the clothes!"

4. Captaindemotion

This is true. Though some of the shower angles weren't too far away from that!

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Just finished watching The Sun Makers, first time I've ever seen it. It was ok, I'd probably rate it about average really. Even spread over four episodes it felt somehow too short, and the way Mandril and other characters flipped between wanting to kill/support the Doctor, and from cowardly/brave was somewhat jarring.

Still it's always nice to see a story one hasn't seen before, it's especially nice to see more of Leela, and it has the bonus of Michael Keating in a proto-Vila role as well--nice to see him heavily involved in the extras too.

I can't believe they tossed that guy over the edge at the end. Anyone who says the classic series was childish compared to the modern show should take a look at this serial...

6. Captaindemotion

Pyramids of Mars, thanks to Watch. This was more like the DW I remember from my childhood. Also featured Michael Sheard, Grange Hill's Mr Bronson and Empire Strikes Back's Admiral Ozzel and who would return to DW for Remembrance of the Daleks.

The main star, of course, was Tom Baker, who was as watchably bonkers as ever and ably supported by Liz Sladen as Sarah Jane. Quite a good story, even with its creaky SFX and make up but boosted by the chemistry of its leads and Baker's loony charisma.

7. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    There's a moment when some aliens are scanning Jamie's brain (either "The Domintors" or "The Krotons") and they note that, while his brain is relative primitive, there is evidence of recent rapid learning.

I love Leela in "The Sun Makers." "Run, Doctor! It's the Gatherer!" "Perhaps everyone runs from the tax man?":techman:

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^Yes that is very funny!

9. Captaindemotion

Vengeance of Varos was on over the weekend (I completely forgot about the Peter Davison ep on Saturday, grrr).

This was okay. I see that it had Jason Connery (pre Robin of Sherwood, I think) and the actor who plays Alliser Thorne in Game of Thrones, as well as Martin Jarvis. The story was pretty good and the Sixth Doctor was less abrasive here than in other episodes I've seen him in. But I just don't think Colin Baker is/was a good actor and I find it really hard to enjoy his performance.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

When it comes to Varos Colin's bloody Ralph Finnes next to Jason Connery!

11. Captaindemotion

Don't know if I'd go that far, but the apple certainly fell far from the tree in the Connery orchard!

12. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Curse Of Fenric followed by The Three Doctors. Curse Of Fenric is an excellent Holloween story and we realyl get to see Ace grow from a girl into a woman, the twist of saving her mother followed by the Doctor's betrayal are well done.

13. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Romans. The blue peter extra was the highlight of this release for me.

I found the way they went from serious to carry on a bit too jarring.

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Death to the Daleks, which was ok, but not exactly memorable. The Daleks using projectile weapons was interesting, and they seemed quite sly and formidable up to a point (not sure why one of them decided to self-destruct just because one of his prisoners escaped, that’s not going to help matters is it!) although the comedy soundtrack that played every time they were on screen got annoying very quickly.

Pertwee was ok, but I don’t think he’ll ever be one of my favourite Doctors, and I didn’t think Sarah Jane was given too much to do apart from scream and be in peril. The humans were an odd bunch, and their motivations seemed to shift throughout the story without rhyme or reason almost as if they were switching scripts around.

I loved the location shooting though, as quarries go that really did look like another planet, and I thought the realisation of the Exillions (sp?) was quite well done for the time. I like the way they camouflaged themselves as rocks using sackcloth, it was actually very effective.

15. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

the tenth planet.

16. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I've been going through a bunch of Pertwees lately, starting with "Spearhead from Space" and going stright through the entirety of Season 7 and most of Season 8. (I don't own "Colony in Space," so I had to skip that one.) The last one I finished was "The Daemons, Part 2."

I find it difficult comparing Jon Pertwee to the other Doctors. I don't think he's quite eccentric or alien enough to ever be my #1 favorite (like Patrick Troughton or Matt Smith). But I think Pertwee had more raw charm & charisma than nearly any other human being who has ever lived. And then his era of the show kept piling on the charm with Roger Delgado as the Master. And then you had Nicholas Courney as the Brigadier, who was a master of finding the perfect deadpan touch to every single line he was given. (I'm very much looking forward to eventually getting around to "The Three Doctors" again. The Brigadier was pretty much at the end of his tether when he started the story. But then when the whole of UNIT HQ is dragged into the anti-matter universe, the Brigadier's dumbfounded exasperation is absolutely priceless. "There's sand everywhere!":guffaw:)

17. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"I'm fairly sure that's Cromer... Right, back in a jiff!"

18. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Planet Of Giants followed by The Ambassadors Of Death, both of which I hadn't seen for quite some time. Doctor Who's endless variety never ceases to amaze, both stories told in different eras of the show are well done even if they put some humans in a bad light. Louis Marks and David Whitaker and Malcolm Hulke were among the better writers of the original series.

19. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Decided to watch some classic Doctor Who via Netflix Instant.

Last night, it was 'The Aztecs', a first Doctor story.

Earlier tonight, it was 'The Mind Robber', a second Doctor story.

And right now, I'm watchin' 'The Carnival of Monsters', a third Doctor story.

I skipped 'Spearhead from Space' and 'The Three Doctors' since I've watched 'em before.

- edit -

Decided to start watchin' another third Doctor story, 'The Green Death', via Netflix Instant.

- edit again -

Watchin' 'Pyramids of Mars', a fourth Doctor story, via Netflix Instant.

- another edit -

Watchin' 'Horror of Fang Rock, another fourth Doctor story, via Netflix Instant.

This is the first I've seen with Leela as a companion.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  20. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Watchin' Doctor Who 'The Ribos Operation', a fourth Doctor story, via Netflix Instant now.

First story of the "Key to Time" series and first I've seen with Romana I.