MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

God Sterling sucks sooooo much :lol:. It's almost unbearable, between him and "OF ALL THE DRAMATIC THINGS!" Suzyn Waldman.

Buchholz was just flat out nasty today. Yes its the Rays, but he was completely overpowering. He and Lester, with the caveat of SSS, have been just what the Red Sox needed this year to contend.

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I pretty much said that but yes. I'm wondering if we already had the best years out of McCann. His problems with his vision and frequent time on the DL is making me lean towards moving him while we still can. I think he's got a few good years left but I think he would still be attractive to American League teams.

It is a small sample size but I don't think Gattis is going to regress all that much. He doesn't have the approach of a green rookie. He doesn't bite on stuff that most rookies go for and he has a tremendous eye for the plate. He makes contact, usually very strong contact and hits to all parts of the field. So far so good.

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Well, Gattis is definitely going to regress quite a bit, since no one can sustain a 194 OPS+ over the course of a season. What's propelling him right now is that more than 33 percent of his hits have been home runs, which obviously isn't going to last.

That's actually a problem with the Braves' entire offense, really ... there are some gaping holes, so the strategy of "get a guy or two on base and then pray for a dinger" really isn't going to work in the long term.

4. Use of Time

Their pitching is really the thing that has kept their winning streak alive, especially in the bullpen with Luis Avilan doing fantastic work as a jamstopper. The Braves offense is going to hit a lot of homeruns and strike out alot. I think everyone knew this. Its better than last years team that didn't hit homeruns and also struck out alot.

They were successfull against the Nationals mainly due to production from bench players. Ramiro Pena had four hits off the bench and Chris Johnson ended up with 8 hits in the series. This team doesn't necesarily have to live off the long ball. B.J. needs to stay in the leadoff spot as he seems to be feel more comfortable there. I'm not too worried about the long term because if you think about it the Braves are just riding Upton and Gattis right now along with strong pitching. Once Freeman and Heyward get going that should even things out a little bit.

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm up to 20 on Beat the Streak. I'll probably be on the leaderboard tomorrow.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Apparently the D-backs' owner is even more of a dick than we thought.

7. Use of Time

Fun night for the Braves in the 8th with three home runs but a costly 9th as Luis Avilan goes down with a hamstring injury mid-pitch. Hopefully its not something that will cost him a lot of playing time.

8. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Bombs away for the Bravos, Wooo!! :D

Update: They mentioned on the post game show that it's a left hamstring strain. *fingerscrossed* Hopefyully, Avilan can return soon.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  9. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did like how the Yankees went out of their way to show solidarity with the Red Sox in light of the Boston bombing.

10. Pondwater

^ I saw that all over FB. Very touching considering the intense (putting it lightly) rivalry between the two.

Bravos winning streak snapped in a 1-0 loss to the Royals. :confused:

11. Use of Time

Had to happen at some point. At least Minor had another strong game. On to Pittsburgh for a four game set.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The rivalry may be intense, but it has respect and class.

13. R. Star

I'll definitely say that the common solidarity now has respect and class... but let's be real... the rivalry between the Red Sox and Yankees has drug itself through the gutter quite often. ;)

14. Pondwater

15. R. Star

That's rough. The guy's been injury free most of his career up until now.

16. Use of Time

Braves power their way to another win. Teheran is still struggling with his command but he has kept them in the game in his three starts and the Braves bailed him out again tonight with a two run go ahead HR from Evan Gattis off the bench.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The Red Sox swept the Indians and have now won six in a row. Heading back to Fenway tomorrow for their first game back in Boston since the bombings. And from what I've been hearing, David Ortiz will be back in the lineup tomorrow. :techman:

18. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Orioles win on a tenth-inning walk-off grand slam. Hell of a day for my first-ever game at Camden Yards. :)

19. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Jays suuuuuuuuuuck..............
    My wife is happy, though, she's a Yankee fan.

20. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    ^It may be even more of a comment on the Jays suckitude to note that the Yankees played 12 innings last night and still won.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.