X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

FOX mostly. They wanted a movie that was on time and on budget. They got Ratner

The fantastic four movies, Wolverine:origin and x-men the last stand.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. They also didn't want to wait too long after Vaughn left, so as Sammy stated they got Ratner. "X-Men: The Last Stand" was fast tracked from the start. Fox was not going to wait on too long a delay. Perhaps if they did...it would have been more beneficial for the film, but then again maybe not.

3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Why?

4. Admiral_Young

I would have preferred to have seen Benioff's first draft which was IMO a much better script than the later drafts, and the film we originally got. Maybe a "disaster" is slight hyperbole on my part...but I didn't really like the film at all. They tried to shoehorn too much stuff into the film (such as all the cameos), that took away from Logan's story.

I will say that Henry-Gregson Williams score was probably the best thing about the film...and the five minutes or so of Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool proper that we got. The leaked "Deadpool" script makes fun of this version and addressed it "Fourth wall" style.

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Ugh. For my money, the turgid X3 is better than XMO:Wolverine. I can at least enjoy some of X3's consistuent parts, whereas Wolverine is an average movie at best up until the Weapon X procedure, and is a complete lobotomy of a film afterwards.

Really though, it's like deciding between vomit and shit. ;)

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

They took The Dark Phoenix Saga and Gifted and combined them into one movie, and somehow they ended up with even less of a story.

7. Set Harth

I find that I enjoy pretty much every scene Ian McKellen is in in any film.

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

True. Really in anything, per my experience, he's in. Last night I rewatched the DaVinci Code and he just commands your attention with his delivery and charisma.

9. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Choosing between X3 and XMO:W is like waging global thermonuclear war... the only winning move is not to play. :p

Taken strictly on their own terms, I think X3's almost inarguably the better film, if only for the presence of Stewart and McKellan, but it's such a mess of squandered opportunity I really have no desire to ever watch it again. Nor do I XMO:W, but at least there, the first half is hilariously bad and the second half kinda stumbles its way to a moving conclusion. What can I say, I'm a sucker for the "avenging fallen angel frees the enslaved children" beat.

So, if Rose Bryne were to demand I join her in a hot tub and watch one of those two entries only, I'd pick XMO:W. :techman:

10. Set Harth

She'd be the wrong age anyway.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to go with The Last Stand. I've only seen XMO: Wolverine once, and I remember thinking that it was OK, but I actually like TLS.

12. Admiral_Young

Let's see...about the only things that I like about "X-Men: The Last Stand" are John Powell's excellent score, Ellen Page as Kitty Pryde, Kelsey Grammer as Hank McCoy (thank you Matthew Vaughn)...I think that's about it.

13. Set Harth

That's what I meant.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The Hobbit: There and Back has been pushed back to December 17th, 2014 which means X-men: DOFP won't have to compete with it on opening day!

15. Set Harth

16. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Good. Whatever the reasoning for the pushback, I didn't like having it in the summer after all other Middle Earth films were released in December anyway.

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

18. Set Harth

If they're referencing The Last Stand that would make a certain amount of sense, since in that film she seemed to be set up as Xavier's successor.

19. Admiral_Young

Both Storm and Logan were basically left as Headmistress and Co-Headmaster at the end of "X-Men: The Last Stand", or at least this is implied.

Storm is also alive in one of the mutant internment camps in the future.

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Of course, the whole set-up of leaving Ororo and Logan in charge of the school was rendered moot with the post-credit scene.