Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see your point but the Planet could be a web content provider, not unlike what the Times (or Wall St Journal) is evolving into.

And as an aside, if anything, I think the issue is more pressing with Spiderman. At this point, anyone with a camera phone should be selling Spidey pics to Jameson.

2. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You do realize Superman 1 and 2 were mostly filmed at the same time? Reeve should look the same in both films because they went back and forth between the films when filming.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It does, doesn't it?

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok then, the Reeve from the Lester-shot portions of Superman II, where he is clearly a lot bigger.

I figured most people here would know what I was talking about. ;)

5. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not if it looks like this in the movie. And it's not like newspapers are extinct or anything.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Not quite yet, no. Few are making any money.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been thinking about Fishburne as Perry today, and now I'm not sure if he's a good match for the role. Don't get me wrong, Fishburne is a fine actor. It is just that whenever I envision Perry, it seems like he always gives out some sort of crazy energy. I don't know how to better explain it. Look at Lane Smith's and Jackie Cooper's (and to some extent, Michael McKean's) take on the role. Different interpretations, but there was something about them that made the character come alive.

Fishburne, at least in the roles I have seen him in, always seems to be low-key and subdued in his performances. I don't think that would fit Perry White. In Superman Returns, Frank Langella acted the role fairly subdued, and the performance felt off to me.

That being said, Fishburne is a great catch for this movie and I want to be proven wrong with his performance.

One thing is for sure: even if this movie manages to be a complete mess, the production team has assembled a surprisingly amazing cast.

8. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I think he would say otherwise...

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjkCvgOKwp4&feature=related[/YT]

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

How is Lawrence Fishbourne "shock value" casting? Most of this film has been that. Russell Crowe as Jor-El? Julia Ormond as Lara? I seriously doubt that Snyder cast Fishbourne to "shock". Directors cast actors they think are best for the part written. To assume this was some kind of stunt is silly in my opinion.

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol:

11. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Yeah there is, he's white in the comics. Why do they have to go the affirmative action way? If he was black in the comics, then he should be black on screen. It's simple, stick to what the character is in the comic. So far this is the only casting descision I disagree with. I think he's a great actor and will play the part well, but I can't stand when they pick a black actor or a female actor just because some group complained or because they think they have too because they don't want to offend anyone. They feel they have to be PC., it's rediculous.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Who complained and who might be offended?

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

14. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Perry White was introduced on the RADIO. What color was he? What is rIdiculous is the assumption that "they pick a black actor or a female actor just because some group complained". That completely undercuts your argument that he is a great actor.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Because they're not bigots and want Fishburne for the part.

It is that simple.

16. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011
  17. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Going the Spider-Man approach I take it. Henry looks a bit like James Remar in that picture too.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Hot damn! Looks good.

That said...are they deliberating hiding their decision about the red undies in that shot? :lol:

Cavill looks muscular enough to pull it off. Oddly, his haircut looks more modern and less ridiculous in that shot than in the Comic-Con photos. Good.

The colors are desaturated in that shot, of course - the outfit is not bright, but look at how subdued Cavill's skin tones are as well. Is that the look Snyder is going with throughout the movie do you suppose?

19. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Looks pretty good. :bolian:

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Typical AICN Talkback reaction to the picture:

I swear those dorks should be surgically and humanely rendered incapable of breeding, for the good of humanity. Of course, their likely hygiene and personality issues may make that moot.