Worf's Ideas & Desires Sure Were Rejected A Lot!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Ro_Laren, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

2. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It happened all the way up to the very end, as well. Worf's advice upon seeing Shinzon's ship in Nemesis is to raise defences, but Picard quickly shoots the suggestion down. The Klingon just can't cut himself a lucky break! :D

3. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Even Kurn in Redemption part II didn't listen Worf.

4. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

"We cannot just sit here."

Crew sits down.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Much of the time his suggestions were rash and impulsive, a bit too far to go for a peaceful ship of exploration. But there were also a couple of times where his suggestion was pretty good. Like the time he recommends that they don't dick around with a suspicious, unknown, anomaly and they end up trapped in it.

6. Clark Terrell

Clark Terrell Lieutenant Commander

What makes it even more interesting is how much better his ideas and suggestions go over once he transfers to Deep Space 9. Sisko's much more willing to try whatever he comes up with.

7. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess it's also the writing... TNG has the utopian view of the Federation, and the Klingons are seen as barbarians.

Despite the stated ideal of diversity, it seems some views are more respected than others, and the dominant culture gets its way far more than the minority view.

The trope of the Klingon way being the barbaric one is used way too much...it's like none of the writers has seen the previous episode where Worf gets rejected.

DS9 takes a more realistic approach, and since Worf came in during the DOminion war, his war-like tendencies make more sense in context.

8. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ey, I don't think it's necessarily an anti-Klingon (or even anti-Worf) sentiment. It's just Picard's usual reaction to everything his security officer says. He does it to Tasha Yar as well:

From Encounter At Farpoint, when Tasha suggests fighting the Q bubble:

9. Clark Terrell

I blame some of that on Ron Moore. I think Klingons were written and portrayed the best in The Undiscovered Country. Their warrior culture was still present, but they-- aside from Change and his ilk-- behaved much more reasonably and showed potential to be on equal footing with the Federation in the future. The Klingons of TNG are depicted as child-like savages who care only about drinking, fighting and dying.

10. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some of what we saw in TNG was internal politics with a culture at a crossroads. We have also seen Klingon lawyers, who while Klingon in their aggressiveness and waging legal war -- were at least good at their job.

Picard & Riker (to a lesser degree) seem to never be wrong... I think when Riker was temporarily the Klingon 1st Officer -- that showed the Klingons as a different but not inferior culture.

11. Armored Saint

It could have stayed like that with Tasha if she hadn't been killed. The security officer has to analyse the situation as a security officer, not as a counsellor, so the security officer's advice is naturally more about making pew-pew or being cautious and not curious.

12. Ro_Laren

That's a good point. As someone else mentioned in this thread, part of that could be due to the fact that Worf transferred there around the time of the Dominion War. But, I think that this points also highlights the differences between Picard and Worf.

13. Clark Terrell

Or Picard and Sisko, for that matter.

14. Ro_Laren

Whoops! I meant to type Picard and Sisko, lol!

15. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

There's a great line in the novel Doomsday World (Peter David, Michael Jan Friedman, Bob Greenberger, and Carmen Carter) about this very thing. Data says what he learned on the mission about being a leader. Geordi says what he learned on the mission about grief. (A friend of his had died.) And Worf says to Data and Geordi's surprise that he, too, had learned something (paraphrasing from memory):

"If I had been allowed to do what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it, we would have had fewer problems."

16. Armored Saint

From Memory-Alpha
    I need to read that!:klingon:

17. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the Inner Light Worf suggests shutting down the beam, and Riker agrees. One of the memorable moments where Worf and Riker actually agree on what to do. Of course it turns out to be wrong... but still.

18. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    I laughed almost every episode during TNG because of this!
    Worf warns the Captain, Captain shoots him down, Worf ends up being right.
    I couldn't believe how often it would be exactly the same way. Almost like the writers kept it going on purpose!

19. varek

varek Commander Red Shirt

Often, the younger Worf seemed to react instinctively. But, perhaps he was just consciously and conscientiously filling his role as the ship's Security chief. His job was to be cautious.
    And, as others here have said, his advice was sometimes correct, although it might not have been followed.
    Worf did remain loyal and consistent, and he obeyed the Captain's orders, whether he agreed with them or not.