Light Armoured Multi-Purpose Shuttlecraft (Fighter) Tech Manual

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by inline79, Feb 18, 2014.

1. inline79

inline79 Ensign Newbie

Dear Treknicals,

Please excuse my noob first post, but I assure you this is not my first computer, or first time on this inter-web-net thing, or even on a "BBS" <places feet on 1200baud modem footrest>.

What I do have for you all is a gift - something that only this group could appreciate. It's an "illustrated" Technical Manual for a shuttle design I did some 17 years ago but never published til now. I say "illustrated", but to call my drawings "crude" would be a compliment.

I'm not 100% sure though how you guys like to receive this sort of thing. I have it in a pdf for you here:
    https://app.box.com/s/evk1iispa90s6guatd06
    but free accounts only get 10GB bandwidth per month, so only 16,339 of you can download this per month (assuming 1GB = 1,000,000kb). :)

Anyways, I will post the first few paragraphs to whet your appetite, then sit back and watch it get torn to shreds. But please, go easy on me as apparently I have to get to 50 posts before I can respond to your ridicule via PM!

PS. Stardate is 51010.

2. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Well, I just scrolled through it real quick without actually reading any of it. But the art-work isn't terrible... except for the one-legged stick man. I kinda hate him. I want the "scale figure" to have a more substantial silhouette.

Elsewise it could be promising. I'll have to read it someday, when I have more time.

--Alex

3. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I quickly read this and it seems a well-researched "what if" article. Just one quick thought - is it really sitting room only? That could make for some uncomfortable multi-day journeys/missions!

4. inline79

inline79 Ensign Newbie

Think more F-16 Falcon, less Dassault Falcon(an executive jet). But i think multi-day journeys even in a Class 6 Shuttle would be painful - i'd rather be in stasis!

If you know of an "open-source" starfleet personnel sillouette, i'd love to use it instead of Lt. Schtick!

5. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  6. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I kinda liked the stick figure. Reminds me of xkcd.

As for the craft, I liked it. I just have trouble it conciling the top/bottom with the side view. I'd sure like to see it in 3D.

Also I don't believe in one-nacelled ships, but that's me.

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I love it myself. How about non Excelsior refit follow ons?

8. inline79

inline79 Ensign Newbie

Thanks for the links to Sketchup!

Yeah, it's a strange shape, I wish I had the motivation to learn a 3D program and make it all nice like you see on the Trek Art forum. I'm an engineer, not an artist! I can make it work, but not look good!

What's "non Excelsior refit"?

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Imagine what the NCC-1701 B might look like if there was never an Excelsior.

A follow on to Probert's ship, with a somewhat wider saucer and a Balson type secondary hull. I'd love to see one with cranked nacelle supports.

10. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I just read through it, liked it a lot, even the stick figure. One question, though:

"Voyager was still good" - So was this concept intended for a parallel universe er sumtin? :devil:

1200 baud. Feh. Git off mah lawn. ;)

11. inline79

inline79 Ensign Newbie

Heh, interesting you should mention that because after writing the foreword in August I decided to go back and actually watch every single VOY ep from the beginning. Partly to re-immerse myself in Federation tech for this writeup, but also to actually be able to pass my own judgement on it.

I admit that now, mostly through Season 3, things are very enjoyable though I haven't yet reached the stardate of this concept. However, from a technical perspective Voyager is basically frozen or an alternate timeline..

12. zDarby

zDarby Lieutenant Red Shirt

I would like to say I genuinely enjoyed reading this. I especially appreciated the idea of using warp sustainers for dirrctional control at warp. (I hope that's what you were saying, cause that's what I understood.)

And I'd like to incourage you to create a write up on the political and technical reasons why the Paragrin was chosen over this design. I'd also enjoy reading a technical manual, if you decide to write one.

No promisses, but I might make a 3d model/sketch of this design, if you don't mind.

In conclusion: Good on ya, mate! :techman:
    (Aw, crap! My spell check is on the fritz... )

13. inline79

inline79 Ensign Newbie

zDarby,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Ah, someone who actually gets warp propulson...

Yes, pairs of nacelles are supposedly the "best" for maneuverability and energy efficiency (see TNG Tech Manual). So I figured warp sustainers could also do the same job (that is, steer)... but I point out that it won't do it as well. This I think is fine because the role of this craft isn't to do airshow tricks at warp anyways - it's to get from one side of the star system to another ASAP to beat the crap out of whoever is there (or deliver medical aid, if it's a friendly system).

If you happen to do some 3D work with this, you have my complete blessing, attention, and support.

As for a tech manual... you mean you want to see even more detail than this?!?

So on the story of the Peregrine. I mean, there's some debate over what the Peregrine actually is:
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/peregrine.htm
    But I have my own ideas. Perhaps a short story some day.

Thanks for the encouragement!