Spoilers TOS: The Shocks of Adversity by W. Leisner Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, May 18, 2013.

?

Rate The Shocks of Adversity.

1. Outstanding

20 vote(s)
    39.2%
  2. Above Average

26 vote(s)
    51.0%
  3. Average

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Below Average

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. Poor

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

Author William Leisner concludes this year's TOS/5YM marathon with his second Star Trek novel, The Shocks of Adversity. He's no stranger to the TOS characters however, most recently having taken them on an adventure in Ambition, his entry in the Constellations short story collection to commemorate the franchise's 40th anniversary. In the meantime, this novel's release date on May 28th falls neatly into the month of his 14th anniversary as a published Trek scribe. Congrats!

This one's got an unusually long official blurb:

Unfortunately neither Simon & Schuster nor Amazon currently offer a peek at the text.

2. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Re: TOS: The Shocks of Adversity by W. Leisner Review Thread (Spoilers

I am starting to like Star Trek TOS novels and am looking forward to this one. The Domain sounds like a friendly mini-Federation, so wonder what will be wrong with them. :klingon:

Also, the cover pleasantly reminds me of TOS-R. :bolian:

3. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

This dropped into my Kindle yesterday, and I read it on a long road-trip. A fascinating read - I love some of the nods to future continuity (Dom Jot and so on), especially as this helps us to see that the future is bright for the species in the vicinity of the Domain, whilst leaving open the fate of the actual organisation.

I definitely saw parallels (which may or may not have been intended) with some real-world global situations - if they were intended, Mr. Leisner, message wholeheartedly agreed with. :)

4. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Awaiting mine to appear in my mailbox...

5. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ditto I'm waiting for this book to arrive in the mail too.I've heard positive reviews for this book.

6. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

I am close to half done and am really enjoying this. Some very nice world building to make the alien organization feel distinctive and not like a Federation clone.

At this point my only real complaint is an ongoing complaint about pretty much all of this years TOS novels. The constant references to episodes etc, start to feel overdone and kind of forced. But that's a minor nit to pick really.

7. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I enjoyed it immensely. The concept is virtually identical to one I had years ago. Good to see it done by a pro. (For the record, I never communicated the idea to anybody, so there isn't the slightest implication of anything in anything I'm saying.)

8. Ood Sigma

Ood Sigma Commander Red Shirt

Outstanding. By far the best TOS novel published this year. Characterization was spot-on, the situation was believable, and the plot was well thought out and evolved at a great pace.

I normally prefer 24th century Star Trek but, if not for the recent publication of Cold Equations, this would be the best Star Trek novel I've read in years.

9. Reanok

I started reading this book last night. I really like it so far well written and like the other Tos novels that have come out this is n excellent book.:techman:

10. YubYubCommander

YubYubCommander Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I agree with pretty much everything Odd Sigma said. I voted Outstanding. It was a nicely paced adventure. The characters and situations were believable. Overall, one of the best ST novels I've read in a long time, bar Cold Equations.

11. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

This is cool to hear. I loved - LOVED - Losing The Peace and was hoping that Leisner would become a regular, it's awesome that he got this one and that it's up to the same standards. I haven't read any of the TOS this year but I'll probably check this one out.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me too. I really enjoyed LTP and I was really looking forward to this, so I'm glad to see it get good reviews.

13. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

I think it would be more fun if we could see this entirely from a Goeg POV.

14. Ronald Held

I just started. It seems just all right so far. Nice homage to the grapper perhaps "left over" from the NX-01

15. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I have not yet finished this but I wanted to drop in to perhaps sway someone on the fence about buying - this is a superb book. (so far)

Feels like it could've been an episode but call-outs to overall continuity (grappler, etc) as well.

16. Reanok

Yes that scene with the grappler was really neat to see in this book.I'm halfway through this novel.William Leisner wrote some really great character scenes for Kirk, Spock ,McCoyand the other TOS crewmembers and the Goeg crewmembers and the differences in command and military discipline.I like the alien doctor and engineer from the Goeg ship they're great characters.This book certainly feels like it couldsv've been from a tv episode. This book is just as good as losing the peace. I'd like to see this author write another Startrek novel. This book is certainly full of suprises you don't expect.:techman:

17. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed this book. It had a nice, simple story that felt like a real TOS story. The characters all seemed to act the right way, and the new aliens were interesting. Overall, an above average book.

18. DorkBoy [TM]

DorkBoy [TM] Captain Captain

Outstanding. Just - wow.

Easily the best book so far this year.

19. Ronald Held

I just finished. It did seem like an extended TOS episode with nothing seeming grossly incorrect. At ~100 lys away from Earth, what happened to that empire by the 24th century?

20. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."

In other words, anything could have happened to it. It could be part of the Federation, but then again, maybe not. If it still exists in its current form, I wonder if there is "Federation space" on all sides of it now, or if it's in an area that's kind of left alone in the 24th century... Even at only 100 light-years away, the vastness of interstellar space may mean that it's relatively left alone.