Enterprise Pic

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by bdb, Jan 17, 2008.

1. rideop1

rideop1 Ensign Newbie

To HolyTomato...........When I mentioned RELICS, DS9, and IN A MIRROR DARKLY, i was referring to the Bridge set design, not the Ship Exterior. But regarding what you said, Yes the Ship varied in all those episodes, but stayed true to the Original Jeffries design. Thank you for sort of making my point for me.

To Shar...........I have to disagree about the demographic. All original 6 Movies kicked ass at the box office with a majority, a large majority of the viewers being fans. But we all know what they say about opinions.

2. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is easily explained: The ability to cheaply and easily lift a fully assembled starship into orbit is something that wasn’t developed or fully refined until after the NX class ships were built. Prior to that, building them planetside was simply not an option regardless of any advantages or disadvantages it may have.

At the time the NX-01 was built, it probably would have been possible to build it on the ground and then fly it or lift it into orbit. All of the requisite technology existed, including ant-gravity, inertial compensation, etc. The reason they didn’t at that time is probably because most or all of the infrastructure for building starships was already in orbit, as it had to be prior to the development of those technologies, but there’s nothing that says it had to stay there once ground-based construction became a viable option.

New technologies and innovations often lead to completely different ways of doing things. The process of actually building something is and probably always will be simpler, cheaper and safer to do on Earth than it is in space. Somebody probably figured out that they could retrofit a couple of old shipyards for building entire warp engines, deflector assemblies or whatever and then lift them into orbit for final assembly using tractor beams or cheap anti-grav boosters. Before long, you’ve got a whole new Earth-based manufacturing and construction industry, and less than a century later you’re building entire starships like the Enterprise on the ground in San Francisco and floating them up to orbit under their own power.

Your starting from the assumption that it would require extra money, resources, manpower and energy, which isn’t necessarily true given the kind of technology we know exists in the 23rd century Trek universe. If I were the boss of the company and I had an Earth-based construction facility where I didn’t have to expend half of all those resources just to keep my workers alive and breathing, you’re damn straight I would build it on the ground. If getting it into orbit after it was built was hard or flat out impossible like it is today then that would be a different story, but the same technology that allows starships to accelerate at literally millions of gravities would render that part of the process pretty much moot.

I’m serious about this. Star Trek has never treated the influence of planetary gravity as anything more than a minor nuisance except when the ship’s engines were damaged or disabled. Based on everything we’ve seen, getting a ship off the surface of a planet and into space is basically a non-issue, which leaves the construction environment as the deciding factor and I just don’t see how a shirtsleeve Earth-based shipyard loses that contest once the infrastructure is in place to support it.

3. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But that hasn't been true for a long while now. Trek performance among the fans and the fanbase itself has shrunk - time to start making *new fans*, its always better to aim for a broader audience regarding popular entertainment - well that's part of the issue Trek hasn't been "popular entertainment" for awhile now. Time to make it so again.

Sharr

4. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, and in almost every case the gravitational influences involved were either far beyond the pull of Earth or the ship was suffering some kind of engine difficulty or they were making deliberate use of gravity to accomplish something else like a slingshot maneuever. Really, just think about it. For starships to do half the things we've seen them do under normal operating conditions, they would have to be capable of enduring stresses and overcoming influences that make climbing out of Earth's gravity well absolutely pale by comparison.

5. rideop1

rideop1 Ensign Newbie

Am I the Onbly one that read "The Making Of Star Trek" ands numerous other publications that stated the ENTERPRISE was constructed in orbit under the aegis of the old san Francisco Navy Yard? Oh yea, i forgot, the hell with canon and the past. This is the new Star Trek, so F*&K the last 40 years, we are starting over with a new vision. I guess in the new Star Trek Universe, environmental suits and space docks aren't in Star Fleet's Budget. I bet they are using cheap "alien" labor too.

6. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    How did you guess, that's Abram's tag line for the movie! It was either that or "Watch as We Anally Rape Your Childhood" :rolleyes:

And enough with the "canon" already, its a TV/Movie series not a religious text (though from the way some people treat it I wonder sometimes...)

7. rideop1

rideop1 Ensign Newbie

The "CANON" of Star Trek is a major factor in the 40 year longevity of the franchise. 100% continuity will never happen, but deliberate obliteration of that "CANON" is something else all together. I'm sure there are a large number of people that will agree with me. I'm a purist, sue me. have you ever heard a group of STAR WARS fans talk?..............OH MY GOD. Atleast Star Trek is an original concept, not a rip off of every theme in Motion picture and literary history. George Lucas just put his own spin on it.

8. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

But with different factors. For all we know, those maneuvers require warp power being used in a way that doesn't work deep in a gravity well or in an atmosphere. It just doesn't make sense to unleash those kinds of forces near people on a world (that bit of warpinatmo craziness in TVH being put aside by me because I sure like to think I never saw it.)

9. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Never heard of Wagon Train or Forbidden Planet, right?

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

One thing that "Star Trek" was not was an "original concept."

11. rideop1

rideop1 Ensign Newbie

ah..........a couple of Lucasites...........LOL. guess i struck a nerve

12. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Yes. The Enterprise has big honkers. That's why they call her "she."

13. scotthm

scotthm Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm amazed that people are getting more bent out of shape about where Enterprise is constructed than they are about the changes to its anatomy.

My bet is that the matter won't even come up in the movie.

---------------

14. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    That's debatable. I've been a Trek fan for 30+ years and never given much of a damn about "CANON" at all.

Yeah, because Trek sprang fully formed out of Roddenberry's head, right? I'll let you in on a little secret of writing: Nothing is completely original. Everybody takes pre-existing themes and puts their own spin on them. That's what Lucas did & that's what Roddenberry and Company did. Aside from the examples others have already cited, Star Trek also drew heavily on themes from the Hornblower novels of CS Forrester as well as several decades worth of SciFi stories.

And you know, it is possible to defend a point of view without needlessly dragging someone else and/or their fans into it just to insult them. Just a thought.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Publications are irrelevant.

No one onscreen has ever said whether the ship was built on Earth or in orbit. They have complete freedom to do as they desire, without violating a stitch of continuity - because no episode or film ever stated where the ship was built.

17. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

I still can't believe that they redesigned the ship and the #1 OMG!!!! reaction is that it is on Earth & that welders exist in the future.

I still don't see even the slightest reason to focus on those things.

18. Holytomato

Holytomato Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Yes. The Enterprise has big honkers. That's why they call her "she.""

Don't forgot a big clit and lips. :grin:

"No one onscreen has ever said whether the ship was built on Earth or in orbit. They have complete freedom to do as they desire, without violating a stitch of continuity - because no episode or film ever stated where the ship was built."

:cough cough:

"To me she was always like my child. I was there in the San Francisco Navy Yards when her unit components were built."

- Robert April, The Counter Clock Incident

"San Francisco Navy Yards"

- USS Enterprise NCC-1701 plaque

"Yes the Ship varied in all those episodes, but stayed true to the Original Jeffries design."

Varied means it didn't stay true.

Which is it?

:thumbsup:

19. FlyingTigress

FlyingTigress Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Didn't the 1701's dedication plaque state:

Starship Class
    San Francisco, Calif.?

Or, was SF identified because of the implicit (later, identified) location of Star Fleet HQ -- sort of like the identification of a sea vessel's national (or more localized, for motor vessels/sailing vessels) registry?

20. JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Earth (not the Cylon one, the second one.)
    Hey everyone, first time poster, long time reader. I thought I'd chime in and offer my take on the Enterprise (based on the little that we've seen so far.) I made this quickly for the simple purpose of getting an idea of the basic shape and proportions of the "new" Enterprise. Looks pretty damn fine to me. :) FYI, the yellow figures are supposed to represent people (Though I don't presume to know the correct scale, I just took a shot in the dark.)
    [​IMG]