‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't really see why we needed to. We didn't know anything about them; they were just some random civilians who were supposed to be representative of humanity as a whole-- who all would have been killed the same way if Zod got his way.

In fact I kinda like that the big showdown involved not the hero's girlfriend or love interest like in most superhero movies, but just some everyday people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Actually, their first-ever meeting in any medium was on Superman's radio show in 1945, and they were also co-featured as fill-ins for absent JSA members in a 1947 All-Star Comics. They didn't team together in the comics as a duo until a 1952 issue of Superman, and didn't start teaming in World's Finest Comics until 1954...prior to that, they shared symbolic covers but were featured in separate stories. More details here.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

So, to put it more simply, they were a contrived plot device.

Even in Transformers, the camera follows useless extras for another shot after they are saved, for at least one shot.

I'm not arguing that Snyder should have lingered on them at all, let alone give the family members names and backstories. But at least show us they were part of the scenery, part of the continuity.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  5. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Sometimes the little things mean something. MoS Superman asking the trooper that he catches if he was ok. Superman Returns Superman using heat vision to irradiate debris about to hit people on the ground as he flies by. It's a Superman 'thing' that matters. (to me)

6. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Actually, that wouldn't be a bad casting choice. Ackles has charisma in spades. It might even get me there to see it. He's 35--a good age for it. Sadly, TPTB probably don't consider him enough of a "name." Still, he ought to get on his agent's case to get him in the door to a casting director. SPN is produced by WB. Someone up the food chain has to know who he is and that he's more than a capable actor.

7. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I saw this again last night. To be honest, I didn't even notice they'd "disappeared" during my first viewing. This time, I watched for it to see if it was jarring--and it wasn't. By the time we get a wide-angle shot and they are not there, enough time has elapsed for them to have gotten the hell out of there (as I would have done with my family--never mind saying "thanks, strangely dressed alien guy", I'm getting me and mine away from potential harm ASAP).

Liked it even better with the second viewing. The action sequences (now that I'd seen them once before rather than simply relying on people's comments about how they were too long) did not seem too long. And the "why didn't he try to save more people" complaint seemed more hollow upon a second viewing. He's had ZERO experience with any large scale threat before Zod and company show up. A good chunk of the devastation happened while he was half a world away trying to bust up the nasty machine anyway. When Reeve's Superman encountered Stamp's Zod, he'd been "Superman" for quite some time (and Zod was a less formidable foe--fewer allies, far less tech at his disposal). Cavill's Superman is a neophyte facing a threat unlike any the world has ever seen. Of course he doesn't do everything perfectly.

As for making room for Batman in the next movie, I hope they find inspiration in the first Byrne-scripted meeting of the two back in 1986. I want to see a stand-off between a still inexperienced Superman (steadier than in Man of Steel in his role, but not too comfortable in it just yet) and a totally prepared Batman. A "fist-fight" would be dull and pointless.

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

9. The Old Mixer

I'll try not to hold that against him.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

He also voiced the Red Hood in Batman: Under the Hood.

11. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

He's definitely got the looks to be a very dashing Bruce Wayne type, that's for sure. And Ackles can definitely do the deep voice Batman thing. :lol: Anyone watching Supernatural knows that. And he's funny as hell.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

As a Supernatural viewer, I agree that Ackles has what it takes to play Batman (and he has the deep, gravelly voice for it). But I'd actually rather see him play Hal Jordan.

13. Griever

Griever Captain Captain

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B96ctffVp8[/yt]
    :lol:

Peace I'm out....I'm Batman!

14. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

16. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From Kevin Porter's Facebook fan page:

In my humble opinion, that would be awesome.

17. The Old Mixer

18. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I like Frank Miller. However the problem with his comics like TDKR, All Star Batman and Robin which feature other DC heroes is that Miller writes every other hero not Batman to be incompetent or ineffective. Batman > Everything; when Frank Miller writes the story. A lot of people are groaning about that quote, Miller's involvement and premise of MoS 2 because it could turn out to make Superman look like a total tool.

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I agree. Unless the idea is to sound him out and then go off and do the exact opposite of what he suggests.

I wish they'd consult with John Byrne.

20. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^ No consult Bruce Timm!