RIP Larry Hagman

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Enterprise is Great, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Larry was a great actor in both series. He will missed by all.

2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very sad news.

I loved watching Dallas in the 80s. It was a show I watched regularly with my father as it typically started just as he arrived home from work, so it has a special place in my heart. JR Ewing was such a brilliant antihero: calculating, ruthless, relishing his notoriety and generally living a very twisted yet still enjoyable to watch version of the American Dream. Larry Hagman was born to play that role; he carried it off perfectly, bringing a warmth to the character. A couple of other posts call JR a Magnificent Bastard and I have to agree; he personifies the trope to a tee.

I never really got into the new Dallas, but I hope they come up with a fitting tribute to the character. Maybe JR could meet the Devil again, and this time carry out a hostile takeover of Hell... ;)

As for Larry Hagman, who always seemed to carry his own personal difficulties with charm and humour, I hope he rests in peace. Thank you for all the great memories!

4. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe the plan all along was for John Ross to be groomed as the new JR for this series. Hagman was to have a smaller role in the series to begin with.(made smaller last season due to the cancer). I for one will continue to watch. I enjoyed it last season. Yes Hagman had much to do with that but the eps he was not in were good as well. Maybe Cliff Barnes will take over some of that basterdness you speak of??? I hope people continue to watch because the ensemble deserves a chance. I am sure Hagman would agree.

5. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

That certainly seemed to be the direction they were heading in the season finale, with that last shot of John Ross and J.R. together at the old Ewing Oil offices.

6. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

RIP Major Nelson

7. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I was watching Leverage and the station ran a tribute commercial to Hagman. Other stars have died-but I can't recall a tv channel putting a tribute out like that. Says something about his impact and presence. Very well done, too.

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Stations like TV Land and MeTV will probably have or have had tributes.

9. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

For those interested, TV Guide this week has a lovely, 12-page tribute article all about Hagman's career.

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yeah, 'cause that's my point... it should've been a heart attack... :rolleyes:

11. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I hope his wife is doing alright. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and put in a home.

12. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

apparantly they are going to do a big funeral for him on next season's Dallas. Hope it includes lots of clips and cameos.