Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty much, what I figured, Robert. It would be just too much work in-engine as far as things go. Even thinking how much work it would take blows my mind. The movie would likely end up looking like a polished up Minecraft from the future. I think they'd want to stick as closely to it looking like vanilla minecraft as possible in terms of Minecraft's legacy look, with maybe some variations to it.

2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

New snapshot out today. Mostly server tweeks, but also, now Skellys will run away from pet wolves, which chase them down and kill them. Finally, dogs have a use.

3. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

That's a nice touch with the dogs. But considering how little I actually use cats to repel creepers, I don't think I'll find much use for the new function. Could be useful for a mob separator, though ...

4. Owain Taggart

Minecraft's update cycle seems to be:

- Introduce something new
    - Forget about it for several years
    - Come back to it at a later date to define a use for it

:lol:

5. Greylock Crescent

Pretty much.

Add to that:
    - Take something that's working just fine in-game and break it (see: updated mine cart physics).

6. Owain Taggart

Oh? Is that recent? How could they break something so fundamental?

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Well, they could start by not having animals being able to interact with it.

Got to my cart station just in time to see a cow ride off in it.

8. Greylock Crescent

It's the most recent snapshot which, apparently, allows the cart to go off the rails ... and not properly go uphill with powered rails. Here's hoping it's all a bug ... but why they'd fiddle with the established physics to begin with is beyond me ...

9. Owain Taggart

Oh, agreed. Yeah, that's odd. That does sound like it could be a bug.

10. BennieGamali

BennieGamali Commander Red Shirt

:guffaw:

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

12. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Might be getting into Minecraft again. A friend is suggesting we try out the "Feed the Beast" mod, though we didn't really finish the latest Tekkit build. We got to the moon...well, we crashed our ships into the moon, but we started to set up on the moon with a mystcraft shortcut back to our main base before we stopped.

13. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

So, I know this thread is kinda dead and MS bought MC and nobody's used the server I run since July, but...

I got my hands on some better hardware and I'm going to put the server up there. Does anyone here have any interest in that, or am I wasting my time? I intend to upgrade to the latest version of Minecraft, too. That's 1.8, for anyone who keeps track.

14. Owain Taggart

That sounds great, actually. I think the reason a lot of us weren't playing for awhile was due to the uncertainty of it all, and not being updated to the latest version. I assume Bukkit has been updated since?

15. Robert Maxwell

Uh, well, apparently some dude initiated a DMCA complaint against CraftBukkit, so downloads are no longer available. Details here.

I may switch us to Spigot or something similar. I don't know. I'll see what I can do.

Here is a somewhat less opaque explanation of what happened. Removed my short version explanation because I honestly don't understand what the hell is going on. Apparently it has something to do with Mojang owning Bukkit but one of the original developers (that Mojang didn't hire) being pissy and trying to shut it down.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  16. Owain Taggart

Wow, I don't even understand how that would have worked. Almost sounds like someone didn't get their way and is screwing the communities using Bukkit in the process. That's kind of odd given that Mojang does own Bukkit.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  17. Robert Maxwell

Yes, you're right. It's weird, since Mojang actually owns Bukkit but apparently let it be community-run, and then one or two members of that community decided to throw a tantrum and DMCA'd their own project. What the hell. I don't even.

ETA: Finally pieced it together. Man, what a mess. So, the GPL requires that any linking code also be GPLed. Since CraftBukkit and Spigot contain obfuscated/decompiled code from the official Minecraft Server, which is not GLPed, this makes all releases of CB and Spigot to be technically in violation of the license and thus afoul of copyright laws since, without the provisions of the GPL, CB and Spigot constitute unauthorized derivative works and are therefore infringing.

So, who is behind this? Wesley Wolfe, one of the original Bukkit developers. He did this in response to Mojang introducing a new EULA which forbids unauthorized use/distribution/linking with their software. The thing is, Minecraft owns Bukkit and they have a relationship, so they weren't going to hold Bukkit or even Spigot accountable for that EULA. But this wasn't good enough for Wolfe, who apparently took the EULA change as a personal betrayal and performed the legal equivalent of taking his ball and going home, which in this case means taking everyone's balls away.

There is no silver lining or ray of sunshine to this. Those projects are just dead. :(

As I said, I will look to see what our options are. Maybe the vanilla MC server is more moddable than it used to be. Who knows?

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I've been building a new world in 1.8 but haven't touched it since the M$ announcement and probably going to be ditching it and reinstalling the Sims 2.

19. Owain Taggart

So, thanks to this Wesley, Bukkit is essentially borked. Nice. Yeah, it really seems like quite a mess he created. It's really quite sad given how widely supported Bukkit was. It didn't even take Microsoft to screw it up! :lol: The way I see it, the point of contention was the mod API. Given how Mojang owns Bukkit, I'd have thought the two of them could have worked on the API together, but people on that site like pointing fingers at Mojang saying they've been holding up the API.

I like how many of the comments on that link are trying to spin it that Mojang are in the wrong on this. People are expecting to be paid for their work?? That's not usually the way it works in the GPL, is it? I thought people in the open-source world worked on that on their own time, that their work is treated as donations to the community so that it can continually evolve.
    It's like Mozilla. There's the Mozilla Corporation and then there's the Mozilla Foundation, the latter which is continually improving the browser for its parent, but I don't think any of them really expect to be paid, as they're likely just happy to be making contributions that end up in the final builds.

You know, I haven't played Minecraft for at least a year, so I'm not even up to date on what's new. But if it means restarting a new world full of new features, I'm up for it. We ended up pretty crowded in the end there, but with some thought I think we could make more sense of the space. In fact, I wouldn't mind a bit more organization and uniformity in things like roads.

20. Robert Maxwell

Mojang's between a rock and a hard place on the Bukkit situation. While they do own it, they have been very careful not to put any actual Minecraft code in it. They've tolerated the fact that CraftBukkit contains obfuscated Minecraft code decompiled from the JAR file, but if they put even a little bit of "real" Minecraft code in it, they would be forced to GPL it, and I'm sure MS wouldn't be the tiniest bit happy about that.

I suspect the EULA change was actually made directly because of the Microsoft acquisition. Anyway, what Wolfe did was basically accuse Mojang of having real Minecraft code in CraftBukkit without GPLing the entire source, so he claimed they were in violation and sent the takedown notices.

I am not sure that they actually are in violation. Unfortunately, neither Spigot nor the Bukkit folks can resolve this on their own. Most of the Bukkit staff jumped ship right after this happened, no doubt wanting to avoid any legal fallout for themselves. It's all really sad. I didn't expect Bukkit to go out that way.