Comics' Greatest World (Dark Horse)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Noddy, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Anyone remember this imprint in the 1990's, with produced such superheroes as Ghost, X, and Barb Wire? I've got the recently released Omnibuses of the original Ghost and Barb Wire series. Ghost was definitely the most popular character created for this shared universe. I know Dark Horse recently brought out a new Ghost mini-series, but I was disheartened that it wasn't a continuation of the old series, but a total reboot. And Barb Wire was made into a '96 movie starring Pamela Anderson, and although it was a royal turd, it was kind of worth it just to see Pam in tight, black leather outfits. ;)

2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I think you spelled Marvel wrong in the title.

I kid, Dark Horse had some good titles. Sin City rocked and I enjoyed their Indiana Jones comic too.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Dark Horse has brought back a mixed collection of the GCW characters recently, as you have noticed the Ghost 4 issue mini(which wasn't originally intended that way).
    Ghost, X, Agents of Change, Amazing Grace and Titan(the last 3 are all in an anthology title called Catalyst Comix) have appeared with Ghost scheduled to get an ongoing next month.

Dark Horse is also reviving some concepts that I'm guessing are in public domain now(?) such as Captain Midnight, Skyman and Brain Boy. At least one creator owned charcter, The Occultist, is also being added into DH's new superhero conglomeration line. The loose banner of which they tie together is called "Project Black Sky", look for that on DH titles to distinguish what other future titles may tie together.

Example Brain Boy (he hates that nickname) works for Albright Industries. The secret identity of Captain Midnight is Jim Albright. As of now it doesn't even seem the characters are aware of the ties (loose) to one another. It's still unfolding, I've probably missed some things so if anyone has made a connection I'm all ears.

4. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Are these new stories continuations of the old continuity, or total reboots? If it's the latter, I'm afraid I'm not interested.

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Reboots but X feels exactly the same to me and Ghost isn't that far removed either.

6. Noddy

Noddy Captain

From what I've seen of the Ghost reboot, I think I prefer the original somehow. Not seen much of the X reboot, though I think that does utilize the original setting of Arcadia. Wonder if we'll get a reboot of Barb Wire?