Boy, those uniforms must bunch up very easily or something...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Quinton O'Connor, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

In re-watching the whole series recently, I've been quick to notice the mind-boggling number of times Picard and Riker in particular are constantly yanking at their shirts when standing up. Sometimes they seem to yank at them without even getting up first. It's like their hands have this serious obsession with their shirts and pulling them. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually tore a hole in the poor uniforms.

Surely everyone has noticed this. I mean, I certainly understand why people do it on a basic level. The shirt gets ruffled and all that. But the way it's done, I swear it's a psychological addiction or something.

If you haven't noticed, I challenge you to watch several episodes and start counting the number of times this is done. It's hilarious.

And a tad odd at that.

2. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^^ The Picard Maneuver.

3. Enchanted Girl

Enchanted Girl Ensign Newbie

I haven't paid attention to Riker doing it, but when Picard does it, I always assume that it has to do with the fact that he mean business. He's straightening himself up, sitting up straight and pulling down his shirt to get all the wrinkles. It's like he's trying to make himself look more professional and put together so the crew will take him seriously.

I agree that it's more of a psychological thing than anything else.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

IIRC the uniforms DID bunch up quite a bit and yeah Picard did it the most but I do recall Riker and even Geordi doing it from time to time. It was a real-world problem that bled over into the fictional world and in one case became a character meme.

5. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

^ This. It's what he does.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Yup, they are basically one piece or tight two-piece costumes, they ride up a lot! I love that part of the series. lol

7. DS9 Gal AZ

DS9 Gal AZ Captain Captain

LOL, I remember when Data was in command of the Enterprise, after he gave Worf a talking-to, he was in the ready room and The Picard Maneuvar. I think it's a command thing.

8. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

I really shouldn't be surprised there's an official designation for this, should I!

9. MrGoodAlex

MrGoodAlex Ensign Newbie

Actually, I think it's strictly a Galaxy class phenomenon. It started with Picard, then Riker when he was awarded field commission of the Enterprise, then spread to anyone else holding the role of commanding officer. I've never seen it on any other class of starship.

10. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just how godawful are those uniforms anyway?
    Even given a couple of centuries of changing fashions could any organization seriously provide their people with these ridiculous costumes?:devil:

11. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

IIRC, Gates McFadden and Marina Sirtis had to remain on constant diets to fit into the female variant of the uniforms

12. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I remember reading a forum request that the Picard Maneuver should be implemented in Star Trek Online as an emote.

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I remember reading an old interview and I think it might have been Jonathan Frakes who said the very same thing. The uniforms looked good, but weren't all that easy to wear.

14. Joe_Atari

Joe_Atari Commander Red Shirt

Never having been forced to wear skin-tight spandex, I've always wondered... specifically what was it about the S1 & S2 uniforms that caused back pain for the actors? Supposedly that was a common complaint that was alleviated with the S3 uniforms. I can't understand how clothing alone can cause back pain (unless it's really heavy or something like that).

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I suspect it'd have something to do with always having to keep your bag tight and tense to stand up straight against the strain of the spandex trying to constrict you.

16. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I read somewhere (I think it was an unofficial Partick Stewart bio) that those S1&2 uniforms were too small to keep them always smooth on bodies. Now put on something tight, a size or two too small and wear for 10 hours staight, everyday for two years. I'm not sure it makes you get a back pain, but surely can become horribly uncomfortable and unbarable after some time.

17. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

I love the TNG uniforms. Both versions, for different reasons. Neither were meant to be worn today but to look good. All the Starfleet uniforms are meant to be made of weird future materials that wear comfortably, and I think keep you warm in the cold and cool in the heat.

Unfortunately, the costumes themselves are made out of today's materials and bunch up easily, so you get tugging.

...It looked cool when Patrick Stewart did it. :cool:

P.S. Hey moderator, I think we need Trek versions for every differently emoting emoticon. Who do I voice this to?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  18. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

According to what I read in Star Trek the Magazine, the spandex used in the S1&2 uniforms ran lengthwise on the actors' bodies, and the legs were held in place with stirrups. As the spandex would bunch, the stirrups would pull on the feet in a manner that would pull the shoulders down, throwing the back out of alignment and causing pain. Left too long, this would have the effect of some serious alignment damage for the wearer.
    The spandex from S3 onward was arranged to wrap around the body laterally. It made the material look better, and was much healthier to wear, but had the disadvantage of magnifying any kind of paunch the actor might have. This is why all the leads were put in the woven fabric uniforms rather than the knit.

19. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

A new Star Trek drinking game. Can't wait to try it.

Thiis is something I've never understood, from the beginning of TNG until the end of VOY, it's the same basic uniform. All they did is swap the colors a little bit It's a jumpsuit, even the cadet uniforms in TWOK had the same look.

20. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I even heard the stirrups would cause there to eventually be cuts on the actors' feet by the end of a shooting day. This combined with sweaty boots likely lead to a lot of hate for the S1&2 uniforms by the cast.