Enterprise MOVIES and Season 5 gossip

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by teacake, Jun 27, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

So I went to see Anthony Montgomery last night (see pics in ElimParra's Anthony thread if you want) and he said that Manny Coto had said there would be a 2 or 3 parter of the Mirror Universe in Season 5. It would be all about Empress Hoshi Sato and he would have had a big part as he would be her right hand man (and bed boy I am assuming :D )

He also said that when the actors signed on for 7 seasons they were told the MOVIES were going to start at the end of season 2 or in season 3 and they were hoping to do two or three Enterprise movies. This didn't happen since some higher ups had ENT on the chopping block form early on.

How sad it is that we could have had Enterprise movies and we didn't get them?

:(

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also known as 2 part episodes? By that logic we got quite a few during season 4.

3. teacake

No, big screen movies.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Between the double blow of Nemesis and Enterprise's ratings in the first two seasons, that would've been a long shot.

Maybe if they let the writers off the leash like they did in season 4 at first... maybe.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

There was never going to be an ENT movie.

6. teacake

I'm just repeating what Anthony said the actors were told when they signed up. If it had been a HUGE HIT who knows what would have happened.

7. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is the first I've ever heard of Enterprise movies being talked about while the show was in production still. Even though I liked Enterprise, even I have trouble believing there were definite plans for Enterprise movies. That could have just been smoke blown up someone's butt to get them to sign a contract or something. Obviously, even if that were said and it was meant, with Nemesis floundering and Enterprise ratings never living up to expectations, those big screen movies never happened.

Now, I do see some sort of logic to that idea, as even before Nemesis was released, it was billed as a "Generation's final journey" or something similar, and with TOS, DS9, and VOY all resolved, that left only ENT as the last Trek franchise up for movies after TNG went away, at least without either rebooting or creating a new show\movie series (which of course we got).

Also, it could explain why Enterprise seasons 1-3 seemed to be held back at times...maybe they were hoping to do an "xfiles" and release a theatrical movie in between seasons or something. Just speculation on my part, though.

So I can see how maybe there was "TALK" of doing Enterprise movies, but I would be surprised if it was anything other than that.

But all that said, I still lament to this day we never saw an Earth-Romulan war or conflict ( I know I have said that a lot.... sorry). Had Enterprise stayed on the same track as it was in seasons 3-4 , I think it could have been a pretty awesome season 5.

8. teacake

Oh I agree it seems very unlikely. But I've heard a lot of actors say things that with the fact(lets) and analysis that fly around in fan circles seems unlikely.

Maybe a more experienced actor would have heard all the "and we will have MOVIES!" talk and thought, "uh huh.."

9. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, sometimes actors, directors, and producers, just straight up make sh*t up, too, otherwise known as Rick McCallum's Disease. So who knows what the truth is.

10. Tommunist

Tommunist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If the prequel show Enterprise was set ten years before we know when the Federation was formed, and if Enterprise went on to 7 seasons like the previous Berman Treks, then I could see how in the back of the minds of the producers that Trek films with that cast would be at least a possibility. The Next Gen films were already dying/dead, and you had a relatively more youthful cast (and less expensive), and concepts such as the Romulan war and birth of the Federation would provide story fodder.

I would've liked to see the show go the distance, and would've seen movies with the crew, but with the paltry budgets Trek films were getting by Nemesis, I don't see how the film franchise would've fared. Even if Enterprise was more popular ratings wise, there was a trend of diminishing returns on the "franchise" .

Regardless of how one feels about "nuTrek", it put Star Trek back into the public view in a way that Captain Archer couldn't.

Shame that the show didn't end on a better note, but neither did the Original Series!

11. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

Well, technically, the original series ended with Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, and that was definitely a high note to end on!

I don't think that Star Trek: Enterprise would have fared well as motion pictures, but I do think it would do well today as made-for-TV movies on Netflix. It could also open the door for Netflix movies of other Trek characters, like a Riker/Titan movie or a Sulu/Excelsior movie. Anything is possible. A lot of people have been saying they would like to see a season 5 of Enterprise, but I think I would prefer a cool trilogy of Enterprise made-for-TV movies for Netflix, which could later be sold on Bluray.

12. Tommunist

While I don't think that Enterprise movies would've reversed the diminishing returns trend on Trek films at that point save for perhaps a minor bump for novelty, I can see Berman at least having that thought in the back of his mind about where to take the film franchise next.

Oh, I love Trek VI, I was thinking more about "Turnabout Intruder" as a bad way to "end" a series!!! As far as Enterprise movies, I think the scope would have been opened up. Like if that "Star Trek: The Beginning" movie trilogy about the Romulan War had a role for the Enterprise crew in. The only thing I could say that would have been nice about a Enterprise "era" film is that because the audience isn't as familiar with or emotionally invested in the characters the same way a Kirk or Picard are, you could actually have them go through the wringer and take bolder steps with their actions and fates.

As it stands, I think we will not very likely see any more of the "Prime universe" on any screen as far as new stuff goes.
    At least we have the novels!!!

13. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Wait, the show was originally supposed to run for 7 Seasons?
    They actually signed on for 7?

That is really sad. ;(

As for movies, I'm not as big of a fan of Trek movies as I am of the series. It's hard to cram a lot of Trek substance into 2 hours. But a 7 season series, you can do a lot of character and story development.

Either way, that is sad...

14. Tommunist

I think it was 6 seasons, with a 7th option.

15. REDrake

REDrake Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think that story is bogus. There's no way an actors signs for 7 seasons before the show starts filming. A lot of things can happen in 7 years.
    Also, the fact that Anthony Montgomery makes those claims, when his character lacks substance, makes me believe they most likely sat together at a party after the show was cancelled and discussed what might have been.

16. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Movies could well have been someone's pipe-dream when they were doing all the planning for the series. Unfortunately, that bubble probably burst early on. I still regret not getting a 5th, season - and possibly more - after what I consider a very good 3rd and 4th.

17. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

I think it was exceptionally cruel the way that Enterprise was culled, before the Fifth Season could have been produced.

Seasons Three and Four were very, very good imo and the adventures of the Enterprise Crew deserved to be developed further.

I`ve no time for what we have masquerading as Star Trek on the big screens at the moment, and much prefer what the writers were doing with Archer and Co.

Maybe one day they will revive it all, it would be nice to see what 8-10 years had done to the cast.

18. teacake

LOL now that would have been a nice crossover, the Wraith suck them all of the ship and eat them.

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Trip vs. Micheal!

20. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

If ENT had somehow sprung the franchise back and gotten TNG-quality ratings it probably would have gotten movies.

With the ratings it got, no way, unless you count straight-to-DVD stuff, in the vein of things like The Plan and Razor.

I think everybody assumed Enterprise would end up going seven seasons just because it was Star Trek. Then they decided to coast on Trek-lite with tired writers for the first two seasons.