Roger Ebert is dead...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I never said that the health care system in America is the best on the planet. Never never never. i personally think that the government shouldn't be taking care of us from cradle to grave, that's too much control, and costs will go up and freedoms will be curtailed, yadda yadda, tadda, but even if I supported UHC, I would still say that it was a debatable issue, and I was merely pointing out that his little ending to that review was shoehorned in!

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's cute how many of the same people defending Ebert's politicizing his reviews are the same people who had a fit over the idea of Orson Scott Card writing Superman, despite the fact there's no evidence whatsoever that Card would insert his views into the comic book.

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean other than him inserting his anti-abortion views into his previous comic work?

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Not sure if serious, but since I assume you fit me into that category, I don't care what Card might write in Superman fanfics he were to self-publish online, I just sympathize with anyone who wants to let Marvel know they don't want their pocket change ending up in his wallet. Card is a bigot; if anyone were dumb enough to think that Ebert's in-print advocacy of UHC made a bigot out of him, then I would totally understand their not wanting to fund his work with Sun-Times subscriptions. To be sure, even nitwits should stick to their principles.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Superman is DC, not Marvel.

7. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    So now Roger Ebert was a liberal Orson Scott Card.

Wonderful.

8. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Hello, friends. Today I mourn with you over the loss of Bob. Bob was a great guy, I loved him, salt of the earth, wonderful human being, and now I'm going to explain why he's also a bit of an asshole, because I feel this is the perfect time, here in this memorial, to air my political grievances with Bob. If he wants me to stop, I'm sure he'll say so."

9. Gaith

I... did I flub that? Oops... :razz: :p

10. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This.

There's a few things that I didn't like about Ebert, but right now is not the time or the place to bring them up.

11. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Why the butt-hurt about the politics of... A MOVIE REVIEWER? When did the American psyche go completely off the rails? He was a movie reviewer:

"Hey, did you hear what that movie reviewer thought of Congress' vote on Obamacare?"

"No, and I don't care because I'm not a moron."

Now, about Roger Ebert: He was funny. He seemed very kind. He was excellent at what he did and respected. And I liked him. Let the man rest in peace and get over yourselves already.

Again - You're arguing about the politics of a movie reviewer, fer Chrissakes!

12. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

Sad News :( not quite my favorite reviewer, but usually on the money with his well thought out reviews. also injecting politics into this thread is inexcusably petty. RIP

13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Actually, the politics of a movie reviewer would be more intelligent than those of a politician.

14. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I'd rather listen to Rex Reed fart than Congressman Louie Gohmert say anything.

15. Gaith

FTFY. :techman:

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is a memorial thread, but I guess it's gone all to hell. What I can't understand is how Card got dragged into it.

Ebert, after all, was a gifted writer and a thoughtful human being who is much missed and will be long remembered by folks who admire real talent. Card is not, nor will he be, any of those things.

17. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Roger Ebert was a man who did his job well, and was faced with challenges that we would not wish upon our worst enemies. By all accounts he dealt with his situation with as much grace as could be expected.

He left us too soon, and we must hope that in the end he found peace.

Goodbye, Roger.

18. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed Ebert's voice on many issues. He was a great advocate for film, and for Chicago, and he'll be missed.

And I find it funny that people think it's somehow unseemly that a liberal opinion writer would give his opinion while working for this city's liberal newspaper. It's great that so many got to read his reviews, but let's do remember that he was working for The Sun Times, and that opinion was not unwanted.

19. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

This is awful. Card equates gay people with pedophiles. Ebert has never done anything so inflammatory and you should be ashamed of yourself for making the comparison. Why you'd come into a memorial thread to say such a thing is beyond me.

20. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Deadline's Pete Hammond wrote a lovely eulogy piece for Roger, here.