Star Trek: Online

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by tranya, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's going to be a lot of work for little rteturn. WoW has had intigrated voice chat for 3 years now, yet my Guild STILL prefers to use Ventrillo (for WoW, STO, and two other MMOs we have a presence in.) I think (like WoW) wou'll still see folks goring the in game chat for Ventrillo or their favorite chat system mor often than not. What I don't like is that it puts more of a direct load on the STO server and Cryptic bandwith in game, and that's detrimental (imo.)

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I can also do it for you if you have the samples and schemtaics.

3. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree, if you have a seperate system in place use that, but when I think of the trouble of establishing a direct voice link between team members for our latest STF runs this would have been huge help and cuts a lot of time better spent on the mission itself.
    It also enables random groups to coordinate better.
    And the way I understand it, the chat system won't be routed over the Cryptic servers, so wont take away much bandwidth. It just links everybody to the Vivox server system via an integrated client?

4. Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

These updates are good. I can't wait for the craftable shuttles and fighters. Also looking forward to additional remastered episodes and FE's. This game is constantly getting better and better. :)

5. Fuzzy Modem

Fuzzy Modem Commander Red Shirt

Hi :) 1st post. I've been lurking for a while now. I know this is Vektor's turf, and I have an enormous amount of respect for him, so I didn't want to post while the contest's public voting period was in progress, nor did I want to post in his wip thread, so I'm posting here in an effort to not steal anyone's thunder or step on anyone's toes. 1st impressions and all.

I'm getting ahead of myself though. I'm a competitor in the "Design the Next Enterprise" Contest, and I'd very much like your impressions of my entry: http://www.startrekonline.com/enterprise/gallery?filter=search&keyword=Weixelman

[​IMG]

Full size: (4096x1024)
    http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/Unrelated/startrek_contest/shawn_weixelman_1701f_huge.jpg

Promotional video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEUf9UfRpSU

Please be as critical as you can. It's the only way I'll grow. Thank you :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Honestly, the big problem there was that people picked Steam to use, but didn't understand how it really works. As in, you have to be a PAYING Steam customer to use the chat functions. We went through all the sign-up stuff, downloading and configuring clients, and just kept bashing our heads against the wall when it wouldn't work. Reading the fine print showed that you only get a Limited account (no chat) until you buy a game.

Rather than fight it again last time, I just bought a cheap game, and then there was no headache this time.

The problem wasn't Steam, but selecting it without understanding how their system works...

7. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    You can get some really cheap games on Steam, and sometimes their sales are amazing; I got Champions Online for $2.50 back when it cost money, and i got Torchlight for the same.

Still doesn't beat getting STO for $0.01 on Amazon that one day. :)

The stuff that's coming soon on Dan's engineering report is pretty amazing. I can't wait for the TOS interiors. I need to grind the mission that rewards the TOS phasers a few times, and deck out my whole boff crew.

8. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

I like the saucer and warp nacelles. But the secondary hull...I don't know. Seems too elongated. If that makes sense. :lol:

9. Timelord Victorious

I kinda like it.
    It looks like a ship that might show up in the game.
    And I just noticed the open shuttle flight deck, which is very nice.

Only thing I have difficulty with, it doesn't look like an Enterprise to me.
    It's missing that iconic feeling it should have for that.

That said, I wouldnt mind anyway, if it shows up in the game as a new mid-level cruiser or the "dreaded" starfleet carrier if you scale it up a bit, becase of the huge flight deck.

10. Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the official forums, a pic of the new TOS bridge WIP has been released - http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=202537

Apparently the 400 day reward is coming up and it's the Captain's Yacht. I'm only at 338 days, so I still have a couple of months to go before I get that. At my current rate of doing daily missions for emblems (currently have 92 - only 408 to go), I will be getting the yacht and the Vulcan science ship at around the same time.

11. EnsignAmy

EnsignAmy Captain Captain

12. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

Day one buy for me.

13. Excelsior

Excelsior Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Same here - to do otherwise would be ...'illogical'. :vulcan:

Interior looks really promising too, although the nit-picker in me is a bit worried that they're insisting on having a 'ready room'...

I can understand it's a necessary thing in terms of gameplay (things like mission replay, plus messages at your private terminal in some of the featured episodes, that sort of things). But why a 'ready room', for a TOS-era ship? Surely the office bit in the Captain's quarters is the logical equivalent?

If they're indeed talking about that room, then fine, although the name's wrong, which is silly. But if there's going to be a 'TOS-y' ready room leading off from the bridge, then there's a real problem - mainly since there's no room for such a ...room in the bridge module!

I'm hoping common sense prevails, but then part of me remembers that we've got all Fed characters moonlighting as FDC attachés on the side (with separate ranks and everything, all while using the 'Insurrection' dress uniforms as the new FDC uniform...), plus other logical black holes in-game, so I'm not holding my breath...

(crosses fingers!)

14. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    No you're not, 'cause "common sense" is "gameplay trumps canon by necessity". :klingon:

15. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

You answered your own question. The ready room is necessary for the game. So they have to have one.

16. Timelord Victorious

True. But I'm sure they can get creativ with where they put it... Instead of to the turbolift directly the door at the back can lead to a small corridor where lift and ready room branch of... that way the actual bridge layout stays intact at least.

17. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

Can they? I thought that the different bridges were basically just skins.

18. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, they definitely are their own unique maps - just look at the variety of KDF bridge layouts; and even on Fed Bridges the Ready rooms location relative to the Bridge varies.

19. Igard

Igard Lieutenant Red Shirt

For some reason the bridge I've got (can't remember the name of it) has 2 captains chairs, so yes the bridges definately have unique layouts.

20. Excelsior

Excelsior Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wow - calm down, old chap! All I'm saying is that unless the TOS bridge module (i.e. the raised 'bubble' on the Constitution's saucer) works like a Tardis, there's no way that you can fit another room on the same level.

Gameplay > canon? Gameplay > physics, more like! Scotty would be having heart palpitations... ;)

Even easier - just have it so that the office is part of the crew level, not the bridge module.

It's clear that the new interior is more than just a re-skin of the existing interior tech, so why not just move the 'ready room' down a deck, and give it a more TOS-y name? Doesn't seem like rocket (or should that be 'starship'?) science to me!

[Edit] Other people beat me to it - even some of the existing bridges/interiors use different layouts, so it's not even like it's something new to the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.