"Polaris"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

In which case I'll be able to afford a hell of a tombstone - as long as I've left instructions for its design in my will. :lol:

2. jaksajak

jaksajak Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hey Dennis, its cool reading the updates on the Polaris main site. I hope the best for your production and look forward to seeing your work in the future.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Thanks. I expect that those updates will get a lot more interesting in the next four weeks.

4. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Polaris is going to be awesome! I look forward to more updates.

5. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Good news, everyone! :)

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Over the weekend a friend and I moved about a thousand dollars worth of lumber and tools into the stage, along with a few portable set pieces already constructed. I started building the platforming for the back area of the set.

And I've already managed to draw my own blood with a 1/2 inch drill bit, so we'll consider the stage properly christened. :lol:

Hopefully in a week or so I'll have pictures to post, however preliminary.

7. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

Too bad I don't live anywhere near you Dennis, as I am now unemployed I could help out. Oh well.

8. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds good Dennis, will watch this with great interest.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

10. Horizon

Horizon Commander Red Shirt

I bet the roundness of the Holographic Imager was a bugger to get right.
    Looks good, though!

11. Robin_Hiert

Robin_Hiert Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Looks like you're getting there, it looks amazing already. :)

12. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For those who are interested in the design development of the Starship Polaris itself, all of the concept sketches I've done to date can be found here:

www.vektorvisual.com

13. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I like the new(ish) vertical orientation of the "saucer."

14. Robin_Hiert

Robin_Hiert Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It reminds me a little bit of the ship Spock used in Star Trek XI. :)

15. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Yeah, I'm betting somebody who worked on that movie saw this or, more likely, the yet-to-be completed second Exeter episode.

16. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, the basic design of the Polaris predates the new Star Trek movie by at least a couple of years, but the vertical orientation idea is a lot more recent. I can't remember if I had already seen the Jellyfish ship at the time I came up with that but I don't recall it ever crossing my mind if I had. The main reason for turning the saucer on-edge was to introduce a "nautical element" to the design, evoking the verticality of an 18th century "tall ship." I even included shapes that were reminiscent of a ship's sails for a time, and they may reappear before all is said and done.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

It looks a little like the "Jellyfish" coming head-on, and less so IMAO from other angles.

Not speaking for the artist, I'm comfortable with whatever resemblances people see between one design and another - after forty-odd years, the Enterprise still looks to me like a flying saucer with a couple of rockets attached to it.

OTOH, if I read Barb right she's suggesting that Trek borrowed from Jason rather than the reverse. I'm cool with that, too. ;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  18. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. I think some of the people working with JJA stole you and you friends stuff. I think it's big of your to be cool with that. Too bad Paramount won't let the Trek Fan Film community have commercials on their web-based shows or sell the DVDs legally (I'm told by a friend he's seen copies in what are usually legitimate DVD stores next to legal Trek). They could demand a cut, and everyone would be ahead.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Well, I think it's a coincidence. For one thing, although we didn't see the Jellyfish until May of this year it was designed sometime back in 2008. Vektor did his first design work on Polaris toward the end of 2008 - so neither we nor the Star Trek people really had a chance to copy one another.

I've seen this same kind of parallelism all my life in terms of writing - what looks like imitation or, sometimes, inspiration really very rarely turns out to be so. Publishing and/or production lead-times often obviate the possibility (or, at least, likelihood) of influence. The simpler explanation is usually that two writers or artists who are aiming at similar targets will define similar "envelopes" and come up with similar solutions - John August had a good (if somewhat brutal) take on one example of that particular phenomenon here.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  20. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Also known as Hodgkin's Law of Parallel Story Development.:lol: