Kenney Pens Trek Experience Book

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by TrekToday, Feb 27, 2013.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sean Kenney, best known to original series fans as the original Captain Pike, and as Lt. DePaul, has written a book chronicling his Star Trek experience. The book, Captain Pike: Found Alive! is available in both print and Kindle format, and the first two chapters can be read for free at Amazon. Kenney decided to [...]

More...

2. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting; just ordered it (now only 2 left in stock, lol)

Thanks for the heads-up

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Cool! Bought one! Thanks.

4. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Wow, he dishes that Shatner was unliked! Great info--I never have heard that before. That's the kind of inside information I want to know about TOS after 45 years!

5. feek61

Got the book and have read a little of it. So far it's a pretty easy read; not much new info here other than they used a piece of Levi's jeans to make Pikes scare; that's pretty cool.

6. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

:D Hey, the guy can only report what he heard. I'm sure, between takes on the set, Kenney was much more likely to be hanging out with Takei and Nichols and maybe Doohan than he was to be hobnobbing with the "Big Three." ;)

7. feek61

^^

Actually he says that there was very little interaction with anyone while he was Pike. He says that he was more like a prop and people tended not to talk to him; giving him the opportunity to listen a lot!

8. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Takei wasn't in "The Menagerie". although he could have hung out during "Arena".

9. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

...waiting for the David Soul ST tell-all book...

10. feek61

Honestly I'll read just about any Trek book someone puts out . . . now when is the David Soul book coming out? I can't wait to hear the inside on trek he gained from "The Apple." :)

11. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

Too bad Kathie Browne never wrote one. Her Wink of a Eye experience could prove telling, and as assistant to her husband, Darren McGavin, I'm certain she could provide great insight on the politics and behind-the-scenes stuff for another of my all-time favorite shows, The Night Stalker.

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'd read a William Schallert biography. Not for his Trek connection -- I'm sure there isn't much to say about a couple of short guest spots decades apart -- but for his history in Hollywood. He had small roles in hundreds of movies, and was SAG President from 1979-1981. I bet he's filled with stories to tell.

13. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lest we forget, he also portrayed Lt. DePaul in "Arena" and "A Taste of Armageddon".

14. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Likewise, the lovely Celeste Yarnall ("The Apple") is a multitalented woman whose acting career is just one of her many accomplishments.

And he didn't even do his own beeps! :)

15. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Captain Captain

Best of luck to him and everything, but I must say this and it will be blunt: why is it everyone cashes in on the band wagon? He was not big in Star Trek. He was not even Christopher Pike as what Pike is when we think of him (and when he actually acted and spoke); that's Jefferey Hunter, so the title is a shameless cash in (likely on the part of the publisher, but one nonetheless). The background actor from episode 17 (figuratively speaking) does not get to sit at a table at a convention with 8x10 photos waiting around to sign autographs for money, nor write a biography about his time on the show and his life, selling it on the back of the show. It is Guy Fleegman from Galaxy Quest. Everyone in this world could write a biography, but only a select few people do. I have no right to write a biography as just some guy, nor does anyone else here. We're in the same boat.

If people want to come by and interview you about your life and about your time doing whatever, then you take part in those things. But other than that, just go off and do your thing.

But the thing is written, so best of luck with that and everything. But the aforementioned points do stand.

16. Grant

I'm waiting for the book by Libby Erwin---"Hey, that's not my voice!"

17. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

"You proceed from a false assumption."

Everyone has a "right" to write a biography. You nor I nor anyone else can tell someone what they can and can't do. Maybe few to no-one will want to read said bio, but that isn't the same thing as telling people they can't, which is flat out rude.

18. Grant

He didn't literally mean 'right' as in legal or moral right---he meant logically it makes no sense. it's just a cash grab due to the fact he was a tangential part of something that happened 46 years ago.

It's like someone who hung around the set for 3 epiusodes 45 years ago deciding to right an autobiography as if anybody cares about him. Nonsense, they are just hoping for a minor tidbit of info he might have to offer.

The guy could just have blogged or tweeted a little info and it would have been better.

"Autobiography"---ridiculous.

19. feek61

Well, I read the book and it was fine. I doubt that Kenny is planning on raking in a ton of cash for this; I'm sure that is not what he expects with this book. I personally appreciate him sharing the little that he can share regarding my favorite show. Also, it was somewhat interesting to read about his life. I mean come-on, the guy was both Captain Pike and the Winston cigarette man (his counterpart was Tom Selleck the Salem cigarette guy). Anyway, a quick easy read and now every time I watch "The Menagerie" I will be looking for the denim scare on his face, lol.

20. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, I still don't get why they needed to make him up as much as they did for "The Menagerie". Sean Kenney was chosen because he apparently had superficial similarities to Hunter -- but to my eye, they're actually even closer than that. Just look at Kenney without make-up in "Arena":

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsK/tve26553-19670119-320.jpg

And compare with Hunter as Pike:

http://www.startrek.com/legacy_media/images/200303/tos-016-captain-christopher-pi/320x240.jpg

I'm sure they could have had him playing a more articulate Pike, even one who speaks a little (albeit maybe not very much, as their voices might not be quite as closely matched as their looks). Putting the dude in heavy make-up and only giving him a beeper to communicate with always seemed like overkill to me, because certainly his physical resemblance to Jeff Hunter is actually much more striking than that.