Joe Cornish To Direct STAR TREK 3?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by LOKAI of CHERON, Nov 2, 2013.

1. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I certainly understand the thinking here. But, dependent on who gets the gig, we may get a very different "feel" - despite the standing sets etc.

For instance, what if the new director favours a more static, locked off style in their shot composition? Lots of long shots, slower editing etc. What if they choose a new composer for the score - with a radically different style to Giacchino?

Personally, I wouldn't object to any of that - we might get something even better. But I guess a lot of fans would prefer a more "homogenous" type of trilogy.

2. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

Having seen and purchased Attack the Block I can attest to how good it is. If that film is any indication, he has a great sense for direction.

If you enjoyed any of the Cornetto Trilogy then you would enjoy ATB. Not quite a silly but they still feel related, like 2nd cousins or something.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

See post #7 !

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

More shoehorned references to previous Trek!

5. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Ha!

So you couldn't find Toy Trek either, eh? ;)

6. MrJ

MrJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Joe Cornish might be a good director, with a successful low budget movie, and is a Star Trek fan. But Jon "G.I. Joe" Chu would be a better fit for Reboot Star Trek. And hopefully, he will give Justin Bieber a cameo to make it even more awesome-er

7. ChowdaHead

ChowdaHead Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

attack the block was good. but other than that, not much to say about the guy. not the best choice imo.

8. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe that was only broadcast on Channel 4 on 'Take Over TV'. Very fun show, loved their Star Wars bits. Years ahead of Robot Chicken.

9. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Guest-starring

CHANNING TATUM
    as
    Commodore Robert Wesley

(Someone's got to fill Pike's shoes, after all... ;) )

10. Cara007

Cara007 Lieutenant

Bryan Singer could have directed. Trek is truly going back into Star Wars shadows.

Chris Nolan would have been another good choice. His name alone will bring in the money.

Joe is giving me a bad feeling. A popular and high profile director with a good body of work should have directed the 3rd film.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are you from the future?

12. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Singer would be an interesting choice. I do agree they should go for a director that has more concern for the characters and couldn't give a fuck about making Trek a roller coaster ride. I got enough of that in the two Abrams films.

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Star Wars is the largest IP in the world. Star Trek is always in its shadow.

No.

Nonsense.

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

But such a director can't be controlled by the producers that easily. Better get a low profile actor with a smaller body of work so that he has to listen to the studio demands.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Why?

Star Trek will always exist in the shadow of Star Wars.

I'd rather dig my teeth out with a rusty spoon than watch a Trek movie by Nolan.

How do you become a popular, high-profile director if you're never given a chance?

16. LOKAI of CHERON

17. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's how you'll know if a story is actually lending more credibility to this rumour: it will not revolve around words like "linked to" and "frontrunner."

18. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

I will never forget their Who wants to be a Millionaire parody with Star Wars figures Who wants to be killed on Air?

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I'm wondering if the reason they want to shoot in 2014 is so they can have the film ready for Summer 2015 if Star Wars gets pushed to Summer 2016?

20. LOKAI of CHERON

It all depends on much sway Kathleen Kennedy/Abrams have with Disney. From what I've read, Robert Iger is not budging and is extremely keen on hitting a 2015 release.

Personally, I'm predicting a compromise with a Christmas 2015 date.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013