(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, I remember it being a bit vague, but I can't imagine the £5m would have included wages/signing on fees etc. Unfortunately the bid never got far enough to be scrutinised further.

It's clear that GSE have spent more than £5m on fees, but a proportion of that at least came from the sales of Earnshaw, Miller, Jones etc.

I'd be interested to know what the wagebill was at the end of the promotion season. I think the LoG invested somewhere between £6m-£9m during that season. They also achieved that alongside reducing the debt by a fair amount.

You're right though, not the best option and the bid definitely needs to be scrutinised.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Am surprised Spurs won tonight and with Bale back for the return leg, they should easily finish off AC Milan. However seem AC went the route of becoming unruly thugs like a spoilt Kid whose losing on the park...

am sure UEFA will do NOTHING :rolleyes:

3. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Pretty amazing game Arsenal:Barca from both teams so far, it doesn't get mch better than that...

4. Angel4576

Arsenal started well, and have put together a few lovely moves, but Barcelona, still, are on a different planet to everyone else.

Two fantastic footballing sides, but Barcelona still have the edge.

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Arsenal were good in the 2nd half though probably didn't deserve to win. I would love Arsenal to make it to the las8 cause I want a Spurs/Arsenal CL match...However I think Barcelona will win 3-1 or 4-1 in the return leg, I really do think Barca will step it up and crush Arsenal like last season.

How Capello can think Wilshire is a holding player after that is beyond me. Jack was superb, better than Cesc at going forward and linking up the play...he never looked udner pressure on the ball, calm and accurate. I agree with Sports writer Henry Winter who said Gerrard deep, Wilshire forward behind Rooney in the hole.

6. Angel4576

Yeah, good second half from Arsenal. Helped by Barcelona easing off, but still they had to take their opportunities and they did magnificently. Agree, I don't think 2-1 will be enough but at least they've kept the tie alive and given themselves a chance in the second leg.

Walcott played well in the first half, and Lennon had a good game for Spurs the night before.

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Walcott and Lennon both should be in the ENG squad at the same time though in the next game I would put Theo on the left and Milner on the right to combat the threat of Bale. The problem with Lennon is Spurs play open attacking football and England DON'T, so he can't be as good for the Three Lions.

Redknapp for England in 2011 I say not 2012. ;)

8. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

The real result of the night came at Glanford Park, of course, not the Emirates.

Although, Arshavin's goal was sublime.

9. Angel4576

Italian Perspective - Milan vs Spurs

And we thought Soccer Saturday was a little OTT.

Particular highlights are the reactions to the Spurs goal, and the Ibrahimovic disallowed goal.

Hilarious! :lol:

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

^ They all need help :lol:

11. Jonny

Jonny Commander Red Shirt

Dire match last night man that was hard to watch even though Liverpool got the 0-0 they obviously played for.

Honestly the most entertaining part of the game was when the smoke covered the pitch basically lol. Hopefully the second leg will be better lol

12. eightofninekev

eightofninekev Ensign Newbie

Everton through to the next round of the FA cup :biggrin:
    I thought it was a good game so many close shaves ,then when chelsea scored in exta time i thought it was all over. Then a Bains free kick and were back in in.
    Then Penaltys they scored we mised i thought it was all over .They scored we scored ,then Howard made a save and we were back in .Then down to the last penalty Cole skies his penalty .Up steps Phill Neville and scores :biggrin: COYBB

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Forest beating Cardiff 2-1...15 mins left :cool: COME ON REDS

14. HappyDayRiot

^ bah.

Leyton Orient have cheered me up a bit to be fair. Seriously bad weekend in the Championship for us though.

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Forest 2-2 Preston

We scored in the 92nd minute and the scored in the 95th minute...Problem was it was 40 seconds over the time already added on...nice one ref :rolleyes: Also the Preston staff flooded our techinal box during their celebrations, no breach of FA law there ?

Oh well Preston your still going down to League One even with the help of the ref's.

16. HappyDayRiot

^ I was on train coming back from our game when someone yelled out about that Preston goal. I swear the train left the rails as most of the people on it leapt cheering!

17. Angel4576

Fcuk me, Man United are boring at times. Typical european away performance from them. Little desire other than to try and nip one on the break.

Too many average players - Carrick, Gibson, O'Shea, Fletcher etc, supplemented by lazy fcuker Berbatov and show-pony-wannabe Nani.

Hopefully Marseille will do them on away goals at OT. :lol:

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

^ I disagree Fletcher is an average player but hes not there for moments of magic, hes there to tackle. Fletcher is a must for me BUT Fergie has no flair along side him and thats a worry. Smalling is coming along nice and looks like England might have a nice future combo of him and Blackburn's Phil Jones which reminds me a lot of Terry/Ferdinand back in the day - so good news.

This is fucked up however...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNgNy5IbwOc&feature=player_detailpage#t=11s[/yt]

19. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Although I don't support them, I believe they deserve an honourable mention: Go FC Bayern München!!!!! Seeing anyone beat that no-good Italian team is always a pleasure! :D

20. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As disappointing as this football season has been for me so far, at least I can celebrate the now mathematically certainty of the Bundesliga gaining a fourth CL spot next year (ie 2012/13 CL season). Serie A will lose one.