Starship Ironsides

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by bob reed, Feb 11, 2013.

1. bob reed

bob reed Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

After 18 months of planning (and a lifetime of dreaming!) we’ve decided to go “live” and publicly launch the production of our new live TOS-era fanfilm – “Starship: Ironsides”, being produced by Ironside Productions: based in Rochester, NY.

Obviously, our ship is the U.S.S. Constitution and we’ve decided to take a chance – and go in a different direction. Our ship’s mission is NOT an “exploratory” one. Our Fleet Captain and his ship are the command center for one of the fleets, and assigned to a patrol sector on the edge of known territory. Instead of Horitio Hornblower (Kirk) we follow Lord Nelson. (or Lord Hornblower if you choose LOL)

This is the same time period and the same Federation that Kirk is in…we’re just aiming to tell a different kind of story. We hope our fanfilm will bring to Starfleet the “feel” of the time period that Gene Roddenberry established: a mirror of the exciting maritime period of Empire and Exploration when crew and officers had to make the choice to be off, away from the world the know and the people they love for long periods of time: and how they coped with that.

The first ship of the line, the Constitution oversees the fleet on the edge of established territory and exploratory ships. Like all ships of the line, she deals with colonies, skirmishes, new contacts, shipping lanes, territorial disputes, and an entire fleet of small and large ships going about their business: all while charged with maintaining current Federation directives.

Our series bible is almost done, and we’ve got several scripts in development. We’ll start casting soon. James Cawley offered the use of his sets to film on, and we’ve been talking to Ajax as well. We plan to keep our crew small and friendly, but we’re always open to offers of help!

Our goal is to have something filmed by the end of the year. You can keep track of our adventures in film making on our FaceBook page: http://www.facebook.com/StarshipIronsides

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Trying a different twist on the series concept is an excellent idea. Have fun and best of luck to you!

3. bob reed

Thanks. We will give it our best!

4. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

a captain in a wheelchair is a cool idea

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Congratulations, bob reed, on your undertaking.

I don't do Facebook, so unfortunately, I won't be able to follow you there. However, I'll certainly keep my eyes open for any updates that you post here at TrekBBS.

Best of luck!

6. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm not on Facebook either, but it looks like you can view the Starship: Ironsides Facebook page (as long as it's not set to private) even if you "don't do" Facebook.

7. CorporalCaptain

Yeah, what I mean is, I prefer not to open Facebook pages at all. It's just too much of a hassle to manage all of the browser security issues, and the site is mostly nonfunctional anyway with Javascript disabled. I mean, I really don't do it, at all. Sorry.

Hopefully, Ironside can at least post major announcements here. Thanks!

8. bob reed

At some point I will get a webpage up. Just so many hours in a day and work is proceeding pretty fast right now. Will keep you updated.

9. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

Looking forward to it, Bob.

Sir Rhosis

10. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

Maybe someone can explain to Bob how to post the photos and videos he's got up on Facebook over here?

11. bob reed

Doing a test to post pictures here.
    [​IMG]

12. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

Nice!

Looks pretty much spot on.

13. CorporalCaptain

Looks great! :techman:

14. CorporalCaptain

Sorry for the double post, but a second look clarified something that's worth drawing to your attention. Some artifacting is apparent, and is especially pronounced on top of the impulse engines. Not knowing your rendering pipeline, I can't tell whether it's a result of how the image was generated, or whether it's a result of compression. However, it appears it might be pixelation resulting from not using anti-aliasing.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn shame we never got to hear a Trek narration by William Conrad. :sigh:

16. bob reed

I see what you are talking about I will have to double check that. Thanks for the heads up.

17. bob reed

Here is another shot.

[​IMG]

18. CorporalCaptain

I really like your model.

However, the second image also shows evidence of pixelation that might be fixed by the use of anti-aliasing.

19. bob reed

It appears you are correct. Anti-aliasing is not turned on. I did these renders on the fly and I am still learning all the software involved. Thanks for the heads up.

20. J.C. England

J.C. England Lieutenant Red Shirt

This is coming along nicely!
    Can't wait!