Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by brian577, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I side with kirk55555 in this arguement but wish Abrams well in his attempts to return Star Wars to a higher level. If he is not writing, I think as a director he will be ok. I disagreed with nearly every writing decision in Star Trek. Hated the lensflare no end, but thought his overall direction and shot choices were good enough.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn. I can understand that not everyone likes the same things, but I don't think there is any way someone could actually convince me that Abrams' Star Trek is actually that bad.

3. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

I don't hate Abrams I'm sure he's quite talented.
    It's just that I feel he has tarnished and mutated Star Trek beyond the scope of what I've come to recognize and enjoy over pretty much my entire life. And now he's going to do it to Star Wars.

4. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, watch ST TMP, the ideal of what ST wanted to be, and then watch Khan, the perfect balance, and then watch Abrams Trek. Where are the themes? Where is the human equation? Where are the big questions?

And IMHO, Star Wars had those same things in a different style. If Abrams can bring to Star Wars what he originally brought to Alias then great. If he brings Revolution or the final two years of Lost then CRAP.

5. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Except that it was a Star Wars movie that he made, not a Star Trek movie--so as I just mentioned, Abrams has the talent to make a good Wars film (he already has) so if he does it right then it will be a return to great SW.

6. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Star Trek was dead, of its own doing. Star Trek as it was, could no longer sustain itself. Is anybody seriously going to argue that Voyager and Enterprise were the pinnacle of television? Is anybody going to argue that Nemesis was a cinematic masterpiece? The franchise had become tired and irrelevant. Abrams took it, updated it, and made it something worthwhile again, If he had to pull some of the guts out to do it, then so be it. Slavish devotion to what came before only leads to stagnation.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

As director, the lens flares were part of his direction and shot choices. And you can be damned well sure he'll use them in SW.

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

As someone who wasn't a big fan of Trek XI, I wouldn't argue its success or viability, I just didn't care for it personally.

Hard to say, I think the flares were probably to sell us on the future as shiny, bright and new. I don't know that SW warrants such. Do the flares pre-date Trek?

9. OdoWanKenobi

Yeah, that's his style. Mission Impossible III and Super-8 are both full of lens flares, too.

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I'm glad he's directing Star Wars. It's already a pleasure watching fandom melting down, and I eagerly await the poll "Which Franchise Did Abrams Ruin MOAR Star Wars or Star Trek?!!?!"

I remember when being a fan was fun.... sigh.

11. OdoWanKenobi

^What are you talking about? Being a fan is not about having fun. Don't you know that only the very first thing that ever comes out in a franchise is any good, and anything that comes after that is awful? If a movie does not descend down from the heavens and bring world peace, then it is the worst pile of shit ever committed to film. That is what the true fans of anything think.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be completely honest, I really don't care about that stuff. I just thought it was a good story, with good characters, good writing, and some cool actions scenes.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm concerned that you found the last three Star Wars films enjoyable.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The flip side is not being able to enjoy something unless there's universal praise from all quarters. Getting worked up over other people not liking something doesn't help.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, you really can't.

You mean you haven't noticed that he doesn't shoot everything he does exactly the same?

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Just wait till we get the reaction if he doesn't slavishly follow the EU, the internet might burn down.

17. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, those reactions are going to be unfortunate and ugly. I'm generally fond of the EU, but recognize that expecting new movies to adhere to its continuity is an absolute non-starter.

I'm sure Abrams will do a fine job if he is indeed the director, though I am disappointed in the choice because I had hoped that a director who is not as established would be chosen.

18. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

You need not concern yourself.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I guess all those terrible EU books will become alternate universe novels the moment EP7 is released!:devil:

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Relax cupcake, it's a joke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.