DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

So did he die or what?

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe? I really wasn't paying attention, but if it didn't happen then it was fricking close.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Luthor asphyxiated Nightwing to the point of death in order to stop the bomb from going off. But they're obviously just going to resuscitate him next issue.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Mazahs, so Alexander Luthor is what also a student of Zatanna?
    Somehow saying Shazam's name backward also grants you power? Is it different somehow? This is F'ed up.

5. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

This. It's pretty obvious. To the point that I'm upset Batman didn't figure it out.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^
    Clearly he didn't have enough time to plan for that contingency.

7. Guy Gardener

Sometimes writers can go over board in painting Earth II as a mirror opposite universe... Morrison even had everyone's heart's on the opposite sides of their chests for his Earth II special.

I think he had all writing backwards like in a mirror and not just spelt backwards like here, but I could be imagining that.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Who said the wizard's name was "Shazam" on Earth 3? The name is formed from the first letters in names of various Gods and heroes. Any arrangement is possible. HAZMAS! ZHAAMS! Being a mirror Universe. why not MAZAHS?

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

the new issue of Batman and Robin...

revealed that Two Face has known Batman's secret identity all along!!! He kept it a secret because of the good part of him.

Interesting twist but how many past Two Face stories exist in this new continuity where this never came up?

And then, at the end, HE KILLS HIMSELF!!!

Well, this is comics so I'm sure what really happens is he shoots himself in the head and it damages only part of his brain and he survives and he either becomes normal because it killed the bad part or more deranged because it killed the good part. The gun was pointed on the scarred half of his head.

10. Guy Gardener

Was the wizards name Shazam before he magicked the Shazam lightning with godly powers? Or did he have to lock down specific gods to match his name as an acronym.

Chicken or egg.

I do remember some situation precrisis where they did have to petition a different set of gods to make up a Sazam spell.

So it does happen.

What were the gods who made up black adam's girlfriend Isis's power set?

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

In the old continuity Shazam was a shepherd named Jebediah of Canaan. He was given his powers by some gods called Marsosh, Arel, Ribalvei, Voldar, Elbiam and Lumiun. His magic word was Vlarem and used the name "The Champion".(So order doesn't seem to matter) When he gave Teth Adam the power it was from the Egyptian Gods: Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton and Mehen. From what I can tell, Isis doesn't get her powers from a magic word

12. Guy Gardener

Wiki tells me that the Old 52 Isis was a homage to the 70s TV show which DC kinda still owns the rights to, and that she got her powers from a magic amulet that Billy Batson blessed after he got the old Wizards job.. Although then she gave her powers, part of her powers to her crippled brother who was eventually eaten by a anthropmoropisized crocodile who they may have given powers to...

The weekly comic 52/count down to crisis was an awful/expensive mess that I invested far too much money into.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I actually liked the 52 weekly series. For a story that couldn't star any primary character it was surprisingly important and entertaining.

14. Guy Gardener

I liked it when Animal Man and Starfire were in space doing it even though he was married.

But they never focussed on that enough.

15. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol:

16. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She did get her powers from an amulet in 52. Unlike the Marvel family, she's not powered by gods, just nature.

"I feel her power inside me, Adam. Nature is calling me. Asking me what it can do to help my crusade."

First: [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sJRkj9DP9Y[/yt]

Second: She was shown to have powers over nature and when three of the Four Horsemen devestated Khandaq, she felt weakened.

I recently re-read 52 and still enjoyed it. In fact, it was a good read without having a week to wait in between each issue. I think they did a great job on it.

Now Countdown/Countdown to Final Crisis was terrible. I bailed on it after a few issues and was happy to learn, upon reading Final Crisis, that even Morrison largely ignored it.

And now I realize the can of worms I've opened by mentioning Final Crisis!

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Countdown was pretty much crap, and it had zero to do with Final Crisis because Morrison had nothing to do with it and completely ignored it :lol:

Trinity, the third weekly series, wasn't good either. It started out alright but then about half of the run time became yet another silly alternate reality. Sigh.

I'm really hoping the forthcoming Batman Eternal weekly series is good. It should be because it's involving the major writers the way that 52 did.

18. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

It seems that DC has abandoned the 52 series a month concept; do these new weekly series count for 4 series a month?

19. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

They have never abandoned it or Didio never will (he has an hangup for reworking his same old ideas thinking the audience won't notice). There was also Justice League Generation Lost and Brightest Day, which pretty much told the story following the resurrections in Blackest Night.

The problem with weeklies is that you need exceptional talent to pull them off. 52 had four of the best writers DC could get their hands on, one of the the best editors at the Big 2 and Keith Giffen on layouts. Countdown and Trinity had very weak writers and some of the worst editors at DC. If anything 52 was lightning in the bottle.

At least the quality of these new series will show us who amongst editorial is competent and who is incompetent.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I forgot about Brightest Day / Generation Lost. I enjoyed that one. It had good writers and artists on it.