vampires

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by timothy, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

There's been a number of Holmes/Dracula books, including Sherlock Holmes versus Dracula by Loren Estleman and The Holmes-Dracula File by Fred Saberhagen, as well as a graphic novel whose name I can't immediately recall.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

is that the one where dracula turns out to be Holmes's uncle with Holmes being half-vamp?

3. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep and they are aviable on the nook color.

4. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

reread Blood and Gold a few days ago... still my all time favourite 'Vampire' book...

Marius just kicks ass... 2000+ years old and still bitchslapping the little 'demonic vampires' around... still makes me laugh when the new vampires come up to him... 'we are the children of satan, cursed by christ to...' thats generally as far as they get before Marius immolates them with a dismissive laugh, reminding them that he was around long before Christ or Satan were even ideas in peoples minds lol

M

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have any of you guys read the Anno Dracula or The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series? I really enjoy these kinds of mashups, and both sound pretty cool and seem to have gotten pretty good reviews on places like Amazon.

6. Methos

i know the LXG comics series if thats what you're asking about... some of Alan Moore's best work if i'm honest...

M

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool. I'm trying to decide if I want to wait and read some of the books it ties into first though. I already have 20KLUTS, Dracula, IM and J&H on my Nook.

8. Methos

never actually gone into the books of the LXG series, though i did really enjoy the comics...

not sure if i'd enjoy the books as much if they weren't written by Alan Moore

M

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, I meant the books the characters came from, 20,00 Leagues Under the Sea, Dracula, The Invisible Man, and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde.

10. Methos

ahh the originals... gotcha :D

Though actually, i will say that if you enjoy the original characters like Doctor Jeckyll and Mr Hyde, and other 'classics', then i highly recommend looking up the Tv series Sanctuary... you'll love it :D

M

11. Greg Cox

The Anno Dracula books by Kim Newman are definitely worth reading . . . and the more you know about the history of vampire literature, the more you'll enjoy them.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I love Sanctuary and that's one of my favorite things about it. I'm still mad they killed Watson and Griffin's grand daughter though.

13. Methos

yeah... Watson could have had some amazing storylines based around The Five...

M

14. timothy

House of night #1 marked is on sale for $2.99 on the nook.

15. timothy

Kim harrison's into the woods antholgy collection is out this and ever after is ready for preorder.

16. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I have Anno Dracula sitting on the shelf. I will give it a go once I finish my re-read of A Song of Ice and Fire.

17. Greg Cox

I really liked Anno Dracula. There are also two sequels, The Bloody Red Baron and Judgment of Tears.

I keep waiting for Newman to get around to writing a fourth novel.

18. timothy

I have those in my to read pile right now also want read chelsea quinn yarbo hotel transilvania seriies as well :)

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Sequel to Justin Cronin's book, The Passage, should be out any day now. called The Twelve. Nice take on the Vampire genre, no sparkles or emo behavior. Little darker than that ;)

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

To be honest, it's only ever been Buffy and Twilight that had the emo crap, and even then Buffy's had demons just begging to rip free again.

Just waiting to read "Cold Days" from the Dresden Files in a couple of months, major spoilers as to why but a lot of it is the Vampires, and lack thereof in some cases.