BLSSDWLF's TOS Enterprise WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by blssdwlf, Apr 24, 2010.

1. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@TinMan and Mytran - That's gold with that bottom picture. I can definitely use it to fine-tune the positioning :) Thanks! :D :D

2. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For a "quick-and-dirty mockup" Mytran that's pretty darn close I'd say! :techman:

3. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's "quick-and-dirty" because
    (a) I'm just shuffling around the original drawing and
    (b) I've got no way to test the "over the shoulder" shot to see how far away the corner console is from the rest of the room.

Now, if only there were someone with a Lightwave-built version of the set... ;)

4. blssdwlf

LOL :) it might be until the weekend before another wip post...

5. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Wow. I just re-read about half of this thread. I can't wait to see more of this project.

--Alex

6. blssdwlf

A slight tangent while re-calibrating previous scenes...

Matched shuttle scale to what's on screen. Then scaled up flight deck to match and applied scale multiplier to overall ship. So if I had to fit the flight deck in I would need to scale the TOS Enterprise up to 348.5m. Not bad, still smaller than the 355m Enterprise-refit estimate I had earlier :)

[​IMG]

7. mattpiper

mattpiper Ensign Red Shirt

As always, great work. There are a lot of great 1701-related projects going on at the moment, but this is the one that I am really looking forward to seeing the completed product.

8. blssdwlf

Thanks guys :)

I'll continue on building out the interiors but I think it would be neat to build out at 289m and fill it out more with the 348m version.

9. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice to see the ol' shuttlebay again blssdwlf as it is one of the few things we can actually scale the ship by!
    I seem to remember you were previously using Warped9's shuttle design (approx 26'), but if I read you correctly the most recent renders are using the 21' studio prop, is that correct?
    I assume you determined the scale-up by using the width of the shuttlebay, since length is less of an issue in the secondary hull (please correct me if I'm wrong)

I find the figure of 348.5 (1143') very interesting, since it matches so closely the 1177' length I got from an experiment I did a while ago of how the shuttlebay set would fit into MJ's famous cutaway:

[​IMG]

(I ignored the fantail section as it does not match the Enterprise model)

10. blssdwlf

@Mytran - Fascinating (your experiment :) ) Yep, using the people in "Journey to Babel" as a reference I scaled the shuttle down to ~21' and then with the shuttle as a reference scaled up the shuttlebay. Now I have two shuttlebays ( the 947' and the 1143' versions) and I do like the idea of more secondary hull room :D

11. blssdwlf

Ok, not a 3D update on the Big E but something I've been thinking of drawing for a while. It's the beginnings of the warp-equivalent of a nautical chart that is specific to TOS only. This drawing is a cross-section. :)

Warp 1 as 1c is still iffy for me as there are no time-distance-speed examples to verify against so that might get scrubbed or become variable as well.

[​IMG]

12. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

That's brilliant! As far as I'm concerned, that's the new official!

--Alex

13. blssdwlf

Thanks Alex :D

The TOS warp speed issue had been bugging me for a while so I'm glad I got a chance to visualize it as a chart. It just needs a nice 3D treatment with Doomsday Machines etched in as monsters in unexplored territory. :)

14. blssdwlf

For the detail-oriented observers of TOS...

Did anyone notice this odd scene in "By Any Other Name" where the bridge main viewer doesn't appear in front of the helm station?

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x22hd/byanyothernamehd0858.jpg

Or in a few episodes, the helm station doesn't always align with the viewer? It's happened in a few different episodes so it isn't an isolated incident :(

Just throwing this out here... Could it be theorized that the helm/captain's section is on a swivel platform?

15. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You've SOLVED it! You've SOLVED the thirty-six degree problem! This... This is the greatest day of my life! (Well, ok, maybe not that.)

Not sure about the Spock's Brain shot. That looks more like a camera angle to me. So far.

16. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

NO!

There will be no peace in our time! I like the bickering over the placement of the turbolift and viewscreen!

17. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting work, but I have to say...

You are intelligent but not experienced. Your tactics indicate two-dimensional thinking.

:mallory:

18. Navigator_NCC2120

Navigator_NCC2120 Captain Captain

This was discussed in the Fan Production Forum sometime in the last year or so. The member with the screen name GSchnitzer (Greg) is involved with the Star Trek Phase 2 (formerly Star Trek New Voyages) fan production. He said that the helm/nav section was rotated away from the main view screen because it would have been too time consuming and too expensive to show the effect of Chekov being transformed into the dodecahedron cube with star field effect on the main viewer. I suggested instead of rotating the helm/nav section away from the main viewer, just turn off the main viewer before Chekov is transformed into the cube (by having Kirk or Rojan ordering it off).

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
    /\

19. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even if the platform rotates, it won't solve the problem of the turbolift. Because the turbolift will still fail to line up with the nub, or the viewscreen won't face dead forward if the turbolift is rotated into the nub. Either way, the war continues.

20. blssdwlf

LOL :D

One of these days I'll do a 3D version of the map. This revised version with a side view will have to do for now :)

[​IMG]