Parody of Giacchiono's Star Trek theme music.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Gepard, May 10, 2009.

1. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Nobody has to apologize for or justify what they like or don't like; I'm not saying that. The movie was pure trash that no one with a brain could love, but I don't wish you to have had a bad experience! You're not 'less than' in my eyes because you have no taste and I do. And I'm not saying your mother is a whore, I'm just saying it's interesting that she has money."

2. mverta

mverta Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

...Except I didn't say that. I said exactly the opposite; I said specifically you're not less-than for liking this movie. You had to invent insults I didn't hurl to make your case. Seems to me you're working awfully hard to make yourself a victim. If you liked it, you liked it; great. I didn't. Big deal.

And I certainly didn't call your mom a whore; everyone I know has had her for free.

ZING! Okay, relax, everyone. :)

Anyway...

_Mike

3. mverta

I've given hope to millions. :)

_Mike

4. Sci

No, but when you compare the fact that some people enjoyed the movie to the fact that some people eat insects, it kinda undermines any pretensions of civility you've maintained.

5. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perfect. You've hit the tone just right.

6. mverta

Well, if you say so. I can only type the same thing so many times. Can't really argue with a dude who thinks he knows better than you do what you're saying, can you? And I already tried to clarify any misunderstanding.

_Mike

7. Sci

The point is not so much that I know better than you do what you're trying to say. The point is that you worded it in such a way that you sounded like you were being incredibly rude to people who liked the film even if you did not mean to.

I mean, seriously. Comparing liking Star Trek to eating insects? Did you really think no one would be insulted by that? Let's be reasonable here.

Having said all that, I must give props to any fellow geek who has managed to convince Danica McKellar to marry him. Good going, man! :bolian:

8. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What's the difference? I bet if you asked, those people might say they really like eating insects.

9. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved the movie ... saw it three times and almost put off buying my kid a new pair of shoes to see it a fourth. I'll buy the DVD, too, when it comes out.

But it was just dumb, popcorn-level entertainment. There was nothing thought-provoking to be found in any of it, unless you consider the debates about the size of the Enterprise a sign of something thought-provoking. And almost as many WTF moments as lens flares.

So I see what you're saying here and don't take your comments as insulting in the least, Mike. Don't let the insect-eaters around here twist your words into something you didn't actually say. :devil:

10. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Thanks for sharing your opinion Mike. I share your opinion towards the movie as well as it's music. Good job pointing out the repetitiveness of it.

11. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus, insects have a lot of protein. So, you know, they're actually more substantive than Trek XI. ;)

12. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh ssnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap.

13. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, it isn't like that's especially hard. :devil:

14. Penman

Penman Ensign Newbie

I always feel there's something fundamentally elitist (in the worst sense of the word) about people who automatically elevate "thoughtful" movies with "ideas" over movies that, to them, are idea-free popcorn "escapist" movies.

There's more skill, artistry, thought, and successful execution of intention in Abrams' Star Trek than in 99% of those dreary indie films about someone's misfit-quirky-misunderstood so-called life and totally predictable coming-of-age moment, or someone's dysfunctional adults dealing with dying/dead parents, et al. Critics unjustifiably elevate those movies' accomplishment because they want to be thought of smart, savvy filmgoers, even though the films themselves are every bit as boring and derivative as the latest Michael Bay abortion.

Well, to make a big show (Spielberg's term) work and work well, as I think Star Trek does (and Spielberg of course often does), is a much, much harder task than making a quiet little film about a coffeehouse barista who finally gets to sing her songs or publish her poems.

So when a big show movie comes along that really works, critics' reflexes are often set: That's why even the positive reviews are so full of "Well, it's just a popcorn movie, but I liked it a lot..." throat-clearings. It's too bad, because ST is a major movie accomplishment.

Taste wars are futile, and I don't want to try to talk anyone out of what they like or hate. I just wish we were more open about our true reactions, and that we didn't feel the need to disparage the taste of others.

(And it's more than a little oogy to congratulate anyone on their hot spouse. Just...oogy.)

15. mverta

To point 1: Turns out there's a middle ground, where you can have an event movie that says something. I know it's rare, but it exists. If you feel my little bit here was glib, you're more than welcome to hear my expanded analysis/commentaries on why I felt the film mishandled the most basic elements of dramatic storytelling and character development, recorded after I got home from the screening:

http://mikeverta.com/Posts/ST_Commentary_Pt.1.mp3
    http://mikeverta.com/Posts/ST_Commentary_Pt.2.mp3

As for my wife, it's only "oogy" if you view her as a sex object and nothing more. Her "hot" qualities, I assure you, are superceded by her brilliance, compassion, and strength. She's the finest human being I've ever had the privilege of knowing, and that's what makes her hot, to me. Plus, what an ass on that girl. Dayum!

_Mike

16. Penman

Penman Ensign Newbie

It's the "says something" formulation that I have trouble with.

What, exactly, does an Indiana Jones movie "say"? That Nazis and Arabs are bad?

What, exactly, does Jaws "say"? "Don't go in the water!"?

Sometimes, as the great Pauline Kael once wrote, momentum itself is the subject of a movie, what it's "saying," and nothing more. And the movie is not somehow lesser for it, provided it truly achieves it.

Now, one can can certainly find ST lacking, even as a basic big-movie entertainment, and I would never try to argue anyone out of that opinion (though I'm happy to anatomize my own reactions and pleasures).

But the need for a big-show movie to "say something" usually means it has to dramatize some timeworn banality ("Destiny is fate"; "Trust your inner voice"; "Reality is subjective"; "These go to 11") to satisfy that weird critical tick that can't says a movie can't be enjoyed unless it comes plastered with that faux seal of approval. Who needs it?

(I will offer no further comment on spouses, successes, or "hotness," except to say that the locker-room high-fives obviously found a receiving hand to slap. I shall leave you all to it, but I certainly wouldn't want my sister subjected to such commentary.)

17. mverta

If that's what you think, then the problem is you, not the films. That you don't understand what the characters learned; that you don't understand the themes and dramatic arcs - especially in those two movies - doesn't mean they weren't there. In fact, they're the reason those movies transcended the typical, forgettable, substance-less fare we're seeing mostly, these days. Raiders was a popcorn flick, too, only back then, it could be that and have strong themes and character arcs at the same time. Of course, that's also the difference between Lawrence Kasdan and Star Trek's "writers."

_Mike

18. mverta

So much for calling others elitist...

_Mike

19. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The ending is the best part. :rommie:

Sorry, dude, I did love the movie, and that theme is great! :bolian:

EDIT: and just for the hell of it, I just went and bought it from iTunes for ninety nine pennies.

20. mverta

Clearly. Hum it for anyone, they'll know right away what it is. Just like Jaws, or the Raiders March, or Star Wars. Truly as indelible a part of our pop lexicon as it deserves to be.

_Mike