Zach Snyder's Changing the Ending of "Watchmen"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by CaptMurdock, Nov 11, 2008.

1. CaptMurdock

CaptMurdock Commodore Commodore

The future birthplace of Capt. Christopher Pike
    In an interview with Dark Horizons, Snyder confirmed that he had changed the ending of “Watchmen,” and shot down reports that he had filmed more than one.
    I know I'm going to get rapped in the mouth by the purists around here, but I'm actually happy about this. I hated (and by "hated" I mean with the fiery passion of a thousand suns) the ending of Watchmen. I bought an issue every month when it first came out, reading and re-reading each issue and dying of anticipation for the next one...only to be hit in the face with disappointment like a wet frying pan with the final issue. I felt a whole year of my life had been wasted and that I'd never get it back. It's one of the reasons I stopped being a regular comic reader. (the other reason was that it was just getting too expensive a hobby).

I still feel that the world Alan Moore created and the characters therein are extraordinary, and I am looking forward to seeing that translated to film.

2. dauntless

dauntless Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

For someone who got sick of it after one or two issues, how did it end?

3. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Ozymandias was behind a scheme to bring about world peace by making everyone think aliens were going to invade, by creating a fake giant squid and teleporting it into New York and killing hundreds of people. Doctor Manhatten, Nite Owl and Silk Spectre let him. Rorschach tries to stop him but it vaporised by Manhatten. The scheme apparently works. Rorschach sent his journal to the loony conspiracy mag and they wind up running it as filler. probably meaning the scheme would be exposed

4. AlanC9

AlanC9 Commodore Commodore

What was wrong with the ending, CaptMurdock?

Though I wasn't all that impressed with the squid myself. It didn't really represent an intelligent adversary.

5. Good Will Riker

Good Will Riker Admiral

Perhaps now is not a good time to inject Ayn Rand's objectivism into this discussion. ;)

6. The movie's substitute for the squid is quite good, from what I've read.

Instead of it being an "alien squid", it is basically a "Dr. Manhatten energy beam"... basically Ozy makes it look like Dr Manhatten vaporized half of NYC. Manhattan is the "boogeyman" for US/Soviet to unite over, not aliens. I think it makes thematic sense actually.

7. spocksbrain

spocksbrain Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I actually like the alien monstrosity better than this new ending (if it turns out to be true). What I really hope is missing in the movie, though, is the whole "guy on a raft after fighting pirates" story. I've re-read Watchmen about ten times and I always try to read that whole storyline through, but I end up just skipping over it. Someone mentioned Ayn Rand above ... I've also re-read Atlas Shrugged ten times and I always end up skipping through John Galt's radio address, about a quarter way through.

8. Hicks

Hicks Captain Captain

If what SCSisko said is true, I think that might work, but I don't see why they didn't just stick to the "script" when it's a CGI fest anyway.

9. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If that's accurate, it's much better than the end of the comic. The squid has always been dumb.

10. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

^
    It is accurate, at least it is in a copy of the script I got about a year ago. I was working at a talent agency that represents the actor Stephen McHattie and um, "borrowed", a copy of his script.

Infact, Los Angeles, Hong Kong and Moscow are also leveled with the energy weapon.

11. Hicks

Hicks Captain Captain

That's cool, TED.

As for the "squid," I thought it worked. Ozy wanted something that looked freakish and otherworldly, so he hired a talented writer and a talented artist come come up with the concept, which then served as the blueprint for what he created. It fits. Last time I checked, there were no twisted, city-sized squids on Earth.

12. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

Yeah, good thing Zack Snyder is teaching that hack Alan Moore a few things about how to do a real Watchmen story.

13. darthraidr

darthraidr Commodore Commodore

it would be cool if some sphere shaped robot showed up in town and started smashing stuff. the only thing that could stop it is it's own mechanical claw with the use of a remote control! now that is old school!

14. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't even think of what to say about this, other than why?

15. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know its a little off topic but Holy Coincidence. There was a programme about her on the radio today. Just thought I'd share it with you.

16. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As far as I'm aware it won't be in the cinematic movie release, but released as a companion piece on either DVD or the net.

17. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was millions and millions of people, not hundreds. And it is not at all implied that Rorschach's journal will expose the scheme in any real way. Even the looney mag editor says "Get something from the crank file", indicating that he doesn't believe the journal. What is implied is that other Rorschachs may be created, since he believed the things in the conspiracy mag while everyone else thought everything in it was ridiculous. What Moore says in that ending few panels is that the "crazy" people who believe conspiracies are actually more in touch with the truth (the things in Rorschach's journal did happen) than the masses who think conspiracy theories are bunk. So the truth wil be out there, but no one will believe it.

18. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    While the method is different, the theme is the same so I can dig it.

19. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

it' a dumbass plan. just like blowing up .07% of the world's population by nuking New York was a dumbass plan.

20. A Clockwork Lim

A Clockwork Lim Lieutenant Commander

That's the biggest problem about having waited so long to make this movie. So many other shows and comics have taken the premise and made it their own. Watchmen is going to come across as a rehash, not an original story.