Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Absolutely awesome episode!!! The question though I have is...was Jeff just narrating to us normally? Or was he narrating to someone?

2. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The narration is part of the My Dinner with Andre thing: The movie begins with Wally Shawn's voice over as he goes to the restaurant and waits for Andre, and it ends with voice over in the now-empty restaurant.

--Justin

3. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Well, that was certainly different to what I was expecting, but still pretty great. I was expecting a laugh out loud piss take kinda ep like the Apollo 13 one, but instead it was a surprisingly touching homage to a film i've never even heard of :P

4. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very somber episode, but hilarious nevertheless!

5. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So.. I don't watch Cougar Town, but would we actually see Danny Pudi in the background of an episode this season? It sounds like something like they would try to do, and something that Bill Lawrence would allow even if Community is on a different network.

Mark

6. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Only if he falls down in the background. Although that story was all a lie on Abeds part I think :p

7. Admiral_Young

OKay thanks for the explanation. I've heard of "Dinner with Andre" but have never seen it. This wasn't what I was expecting either but was still fantastic. A subdued Chang again this week which is always a good thing. Britta getting fired was interesting...I'm seriously looking forward to the finale! Woot. BEST SHOW EVAH!!

8. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The channel was literally off cable last night, so not even dvr'd!!! :(

9. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

THey've done a few episodes this season that went easy on the laughs (Troy's birthday, the Chistmas episode, and now Abed's birthday), and I've loved all of them. This show can make me laugh better than just about any other show I'm watching, but I love how good it can be even when they set that aside.

10. Admiral_Young

Like I've said before, the best episodes of the show are when the show deals with the group.

11. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

I'm of mixed feelings on the episode last night. I like that the show is daring to go deeper into the characters, and make references to things a lot of the audience has never seen. But that has to be balanced with laughs, and last night those laughs were few and far between.

Plus it felt like a cheat to give Abed some great character development, and turn it into a practical joke of sorts and regress him back to normal.

As Abed himself might say, "Do or do not, there is no try."

12. Admiral_Young

They've done swerves like this before. Just look at Jeff/Britta/Annie for instance. We looked like we were gonna get a resolution to that and it was yet another swerve when Jeff went to Rich's apartment (and that sub-plot has yet to been paid off since we've not seen him yet..although one could argue that Jeff has started to become a better person towards the group).

13. Caliburn24

And I'm sure they'll swerve again, which is part of the charm at times. But I think that 1) they need to carry through on those swerves and do some follow-up if they want us the audience to not quickly get jaded about them. And 2) they need to still make entertaining episodes.

I'm fairly certain that any first time Community viewer would never watch the show again if last night were their first exposure to it. I guess it isn't a concern since its already renewed for a 3rd season, but I'd still like the show to be more popular.

14. Admiral_Young

I see your point regarding Abed, I just don't really think any of these characters are going to develop beyond their tropes. The tropes are part of the show's charm. That being said I would like to see some development and character evolution.

Regarding seeing the "never seeing the show again if last night was their first exposure to it" comment, I'd have to disagree again. This is the type of show where you've gotta watch two or three episodes to get into it. I didn't quite frankly get into the show until I'd watched at least three episodes. You can't just watch one episode of "Community" to judge if you're going to continue watching it or not as a first timer.

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't really agree with that. The pilot was the first episode I saw, and I was sold just on that episode.

16. Admiral_Young

My first episode was some where middle of first season. Never saw the pilot until the mini-marathon they aired last summer before season two started. That's when I fell in love with the show.

17. Caliburn24

I watched Community from the pilot on as it aired, but it wasn't until the Halloween episode, maybe eight or so episodes in that I felt it really hit its stride and hooked me.

18. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I gotta say, I went and watched the first 20 minutes or so of My Dinner with Andre after seeing this, and yeah, they really nailed spoofing it. :p

And btw, my first ep was the LeVar Burton one last month, and from that I watched the other eps on NBC's site, and when I hit the D&D ep I was in love. Went back and watched all of season 1 and yes, I really love this show.

19. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

Wow, that's almost exactly what happened with me!

20. Admiral_Young

You know what? I think I got it completely wrong. The mini-marathon that I watched last fall showed the last six episodes of season one, I watched the second and last episodes of the season and was hooked straight away! Especially when Jeff kissed Annie outside the dance in the finale. I then watched the entire season and fell in love with the show.