BOOM! A shot into the iPad's heart.

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Trekker4747, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The New York Times says the iPad is "too heavy."

LINK

How much does the iPad weigh? A pound a half.

Damn that is heavy!

If you are a octogenarian with arthritis and you weigh 76 lbs. And you have bone cancer. And you're really tired.

1.5 lbs as being "too heavy." :rolleyes:

2. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

That doesn't sound heavy at all...

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The reviewer sounds like a case of Grade A Whiner to me. :rolleyes:

4. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

Um... seriously? This is a rant? And people are agreeing?

That was in the "techie" section where they were specifically comparing it to other e-readers. As they pointed out, the Kindle is only 10oz which makes the iPad 2.5x heavier. They also never said it was "too heavy" but instead that it starts to feel heavy in your hand after a while when using it as an e-reader.

If it's an e-reader you're after, then there are better choices then the iPad. That's what they were saying in the article. Context matters. Here is the actual passage and the only place the word "heavy" appears in the entire article:

5. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Well that settles it. The iPad is officialy....

FAIL

6. Trekker4747

If a pound and a half "gets heavy" for you after any length of time you've got some serious muscular issues.

7. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

The whole not being able to read the books on the Mac issue seems like a bit more of a problem to me. It'll probably be fixed by the end of the month though.

8. Arrqh

The point is, since you missed it in both my post and the actual article, that there are better devices for use as an e-reader then the iPad. In a mobile device that you use for long periods of time, weight matters.

And again, at no point did the author actually say it was "too heavy." Did you even read the whole article? Because the overall tone is actually positive and at one point he actually referes to the iPad as "light". He only calls it heavy compared to other e-readers and this is absolutely correct. So again: seriously?

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, but the burning question is, will Star Trek e-books be available for the iPad? ;)

10. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Of of curiosity, anyone know the average weight of an MMPB?

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The reviewer on CNN also said the weight bothered him after a while.

13. Trekker4747

I say again, if a pound and half weight bothers you after any stretch of time you've got issues.

14. Flavius

Flavius Vice Admiral Admiral

Apple has now made available the guided tours.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/

Avoiding the carpal tunnel syndrome (and the like) is included ;)

Seriously, I don't think that the Kindle(s) are going to become roadkill instantly, but it's hard to fathom why somebody would choose a Kindle over the iPad, a one-trick-pony over a multi-talent?

It's a different story, for sure, if you already own a Kindle and a laptop.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Say whatever you like. If I say that "if buying a real book bothers you, you've got issues" it's as valid and makes as much sense as your assertion.

I swear, the lengths people will go to, to defend Apple's junk...

16. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

I hear ya... it is nearly as bad as people who waste their time trashing Apple junk.

Of course Apple haters sort of remind me of STXI haters... I mean people, if you don't like something, move onto to the things you like. There isn't any point wasting time hating when there is so much else in life.

17. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

The big difference is e-paper versus LCD. I haven't seen e-paper up close yet, but conceptually there's a big benefit to a device which can be read easily in bright sunlight and which has battery life measured in weeks rather than hours.

The lack of color is a problem, though.

18. Arrqh

Yeah, the lack of color is the biggest problem with e-paper with refresh rate a close second (though that's been improving pretty fast). But there's some cool tech coming down the pipe, hopefully in the next few years, that will help quite a bit. But for a lot of people, color isn't such a big deal... if all you're doing is reading novels or newspaper articles you don't need it.

As for "one-trick-pony over a multi-talent"... the obvious comeback is jack of all trades, master of none. ;) If you want a device that can do a little bit of everything, then something like the iPad is great. If you want to do a lot of a single thing and don't care about the other things... why pay extra for something that isn't as good at your preferred task?

19. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Try reading a book that weighs that much and see how soon it starts to bother you.

20. Defiant

Defiant Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Because I hate reading on a glowing screen, and I hate carrying around 10 books whenever I'm travelling. Only one compromise makes sense - e-ink.

Also, having been involved in digital forensics for most of the last 8 years, I know how horrible security is on the iPhone, and no way I'd trust it to do much more than very casual web browsing.

Eastern European hackers are praying the iPad becomes popular, because people WILL do their banking on them - it looks enough like a laptop, that people are going to forget it isn't...