Original Prometheus-five ships in one.

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by westwords2020, Sep 1, 2008.

1. westwords2020

westwords2020 Commander Red Shirt

I read sometime ago that Rick Sternbach had originally planned for a five starships in one Prometheus concept but later changes in the script sent him back to the drawing of the three in one ship that seems to have some controversy as to whether it should be in production as oppossed to a one off design.

I would like to ask how would you dream up a five sectioned ship and what it would look like and where the extra parts would come from.

My own thoughts centered on the saucer top being a seperable unit and was inspired by the TNG Tech Manual stating that the Galaxy had a detachable bridge section with impulse drive. Here, a major portion of the superstructure would detach and the beta section would have a fin rising up to clear the ship whereupon you would find a mini Defiant. The speartip like saucer would have warp nacelles so the ship when docked could have propulsion in warp coming from six vice two engines for extreme speed. The miniDefiant could also make a contribution here, maybeye.

2. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

According to sketches, the two extra sections came off of either side of the primary hull and were smaller than the other three.

3. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

And a sillier more fanboyish idea has never made it to the screen.

4. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Not even the triple-nacelled, winglet-tricked-out, phaser/photon weapon o' mass destruction outfitted Enterprise-D from "All Good Things?" :evil:

5. westwords2020

Let's keep this a civil discourse about which Sternbach originally designed His version, which others are free to submit their own ideas on this board and not descend into ridculing people.
    I'm trying to figure it out and put forth my own idea. And I'm not a fanboy, not at my age.

6. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

I loved the Enterprise dreadnought from "All Good Things"

7. jolau

jolau Captain Captain

Me too

8. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

And how in the world did you take that personally, or think I was ridiculing anything but the concept of the ship itself?

Which is, of course, MY opinion on the matter, which I assume I'm as free to express as anyone else.

9. westwords2020

Your choice of words gave the appearance of redicule but since you have explained that was not your intention, it's okay.

10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Me three. Always loved Riker's hotrod! :)

11. westwords2020

I like the Sternbach five in one version of Prometheus better than my own ideas. I do favour the saucer having aft mounted swept pylons for it's own warp nacelles so they are usable in docked mode.
    I think five in one will make a better MVAM than just three.
    I'd prefer that centralized computer control from main bridge is not the way the various segments are controlled but rather have small bridges on each seperated element that would take orders from but not be subspace radio controlled since you have crew in each one. Centralized control would be an emergency backup and not the standard method of MVAM control.

12. westwords2020

Found the article on the original five in one configuration. Ships four was embeded into the fore part of the upper saucer hull ahead of the Bridge. Ship five was similarly embedded in the lower part of the saucer hull which was arrow shaped along with the 'attack darts'. Later, the producers decided that a five in one was too much to show onscreen in an effective manner and cut back to a three in one design which Rick felt was the right move because of the complexities in designing the five in one version.