The Mention of [Spoiler] incident (Spoilers? Maybe.)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by darkshadow0001, May 17, 2013.

1. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, it's been a day now since the release of the film, and I don't know if anyone else noticed, but, did anyone notice Sulu mentioning the name Mudd? Could it have anything to do with maybe Mudd being in the third movie (if one is being made)?

2. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Re: The Mention of Mudd (Spoilers? Maybe.)

The Mudd thing happened in the Countdown to Darkness comic series.

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Re: The Mention of Mudd (Spoilers? Maybe.)

^ Yeah, it was a nod to the prequel comic, and the "Mudd" there was actually Harry Mudd's daughter.

She had the hots for Kirk and was helping Robert April take over the Enterprise.

[​IMG]

4. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

It wasn't a nod to the comic, but from the comic to the movie. From early on, it was said that the ST Ongoing comic series would have various nods and easter eggs to STID, and these are two examples of that practice. Including Mudd in the Countdown to Darkess story arc explained the comment about "the Mudd incident," as well as showing how the Enterprise came to have a civilian ship onboard for use in the mission to Qo'noS.

5. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Right. I'm sure the scriptwriters intended it to be a reference to Harry Mudd, but for whatever reason, the creators of Countdown to Darkness chose to interpret it very differently, including a blond Bajoran woman who was named Mudd for reasons that were never explained.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

And I still don't get why they felt compelled to make her Bajoran. She could have been human and you'd have the exact same story.

8. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Art error. At least, I'm going to keep assuming that until they give us text that she's Bajoran.

9. The Wormhole

A likely explanation, backed up by the numerous other ar errors IDW has had in their comics, like using the TMP-TUC era Enterprise with the registry number "NCC-1701-D." Still, that's one hell of an error.

10. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Orici oversaw the comics, so I would take the reference to mean the Mudd from the adventure which led up to the film meaning he was fine with this Mudd being different from the Mudd everyone knows. Was it confirmed in the comic that she was supposed to be his daughter?

11. Christopher

Orci is credited as overseeing the comics, but given his other responsibilities, and given how many mistakes and inconsistencies have cropped up in the comics, it seems unlikely that he supervises them as closely as the publicity implies. More likely he gives the writer a list of elements to incorporate (e.g. "Introduce a civilian scout ship belonging to Mudd"), approves the outline, that sort of thing. Evidently he didn't object to turning Mudd into a Bajoran woman, but that doesn't mean it's what the scriptwriters had in mind when they originally wrote that line. It just means that it didn't matter to the film one way or the other.

Nope. For all we know, she's a completely unrelated character and Mudd just happens to be a Bajoran name.

12. DiscountKlingon

DiscountKlingon Cadet Newbie

For that matter, it is not even explicitly stated in the comic that Mudd IS a Bajoran, it's just inferred because of the nose ridges.

13. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Her father was mentioned in the comics, and it was strongly implied that it's Harry Mudd.

14. Christopher

It's worth mentioning that Roger C. Carmel was (surprisingly) only 33 years old when he first played Harry Mudd. If Harry was the same age as his portrayer, he would've been born in the same year as Kirk, and couldn't possibly have an adult daughter in 2259. Let's see, if we assume the female Mudd was, say, 23, and Harry was, say, 20 when he had her, then he would've had to be 50 years old when we met him in "Mudd's Women." But Harry never struck me as being more than 40-something. It's not completely impossible, but it seems unlikely.

15. The Wormhole

She also wears a Bajoran earring.

16. Agent Richard07

I see. I didn't look at it that way. Personally, I like what they did with "Mudd" and I like her as a character. She would have been fun to see on screen. I hope we at least see more of her in the comics.

Probably to add a bit of alienness to the character. It doesn't seem like a bit deal. Trek does this a lot.

I think that's a bit of a stretch. I think we're supposed to believe that she's his daughter, or at best, that she's related to him in some way.

I didn't know that Roger C. Carmel was that young. He does look older and if Mudd's age wasn't established, I can believe that he's old enough to have a 20-something daughter.

17. The Wormhole

The problem was she behaved completely human. If it weren't for the ridged nose and the earring, I'd have assumed she was.

18. Agent Richard07

^ Bajorans have always behaved "human". Or at least I haven't seen any behavioral characteristics that I'd recognize as distinctively Bajoran.

19. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the 24th century (not so sure about the 23rd), I'd call their religious fervor, if not distinctively Bajoran, at least distinctively non-Human.