Sci-Fi Nonce Word Profanity

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mojochi, May 11, 2014.

?

Imaginary Profanity?

1. Yea

19 vote(s)
    90.5%
  2. Nea

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do you find the use of nonce word profanity to be useful or to be distracting?

Farscape: Frell, Dren, BSG: Frak, Firefly: Gorram. Frankly, even in shows that I truly enjoy, like Firefly I find the practice pulls me out of the moment. It can be a humorously quaint affectation to a beloved show, but it always falls short with me, in the dramatic context. Surely, we have enough scope in the English language that if our intent is to devise expletive language, there's enough vocabulary in the existing lexicon to draw from.

In the case of Frak or Gorram, it's more than just distracting because clearly those words were a deliberate deviation from fuck & goddamn. It's spiteful childishness to do such. "Here's where I'd have them to say fuck, but can't". It's not only childish, but it harkens to the silly practice of people who substitute with words like fudge or shucks. It unavoidably lacks potency

Truth be told, I can manage to be both masterfully vulgar & profane without ever uttering a single thing that even remotely resembles a traditional profanity. I'd note however that I do love how they use Chinese in Firefly. Despite its occasional resemblance to Yosemite Sam mumbling, it's rather creative, & isn't that what language in fiction should be... creative?

Imaginary words are just that, too imagined to be of use in a straight forward context. The imagination is a delicate tool. Wield it like a sledgehammer & you can easily miss the mark

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

What's more distracting is that Nonce is generally only used in UK English in 2014 to mean paedophile so I cannot read this thread without my mind substituting in that usage.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

"Nea"? Is that some sort of made up swear word?

4. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe it's more accurate to have these made up words. Our language changes based on time or location; it would be unrealistic to use the same words in a setting 1,000 years from now. Do we talk like people did 1,000 years ago? Even if they speak English, do you talk like people that live on the other side of the world from you?

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It's exposing the silliness of censorship.
    Not allowed to say "fucking"? So let's say "frakking". LOL, what a difference.

6. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I find it funny (especially when R2D2 curses) but curse words weren't always curse words. Who knows what will be considered a curse word next.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It doesn't frelling bother me. Although I regret that "frell" never caught on the way "frak" did.

8. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Well, tanj it, why the frelling frak doesn't bother you, gorramit?!

9. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

It's "Nay" for people who can't spell. ;)

I actually don't mind the NONSENSE words for curses, since language changes constantly, varies from area to area and region to region. Curses used even 100 years ago seem ridiculous to us now. Words that are seemingly ordinary and innocent in one country are seen as vulgar in others. If an American turns to his pal and says, "I'm stuffed," he means he's full after eating too much. In England, that same conversation has a completely different meaning.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Part of the use of made up profanity words is that the censors tend to ignore them, when you start to use actual profanities it could impact on when shows air, which could then impact on revenues. Then there is the international market to consider what passes as a mild profanity in one country might be considered more vulgar in another.

But in the case of Farscape and BSG for example aren't we dealing we other cultures why would they use the same profanities as we do?

11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Red Dwarf: Smeg

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

:alienblush: Oh, I thought that was an actual British Slang word :alienblush:

13. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't watch any of those shows, but I'm pretty sure I'd find it stupid. Either find an alternative to cursing or bleep it in the broadcast and give DVD/Netflixers the real, raw deal.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

As in short for 'smegma'. No, I've not heard it used outside of Red Dwarf.

Nonce is short for 'not on normal courtyard exercise' - segregated from other prisoners for their own protection. It usually applies to paedophiles.

16. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Yea

QFT

Personally, I've been using "Frak" since 1978 even though I despised oBSG even back then lol.

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

When I call someone a scruffy looking nerf herder, is it okay because it's just made up words?

Would I not get an infraction here? Would I not get sued in real life for libel?

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The only people who would sue in real life are Parker Bros.

19. Draculasaurus

Draculasaurus Commander Red Shirt

It's fine in Firefly; They use all kinds of made up words, positive and negative. They also use stylized grammar.
    Firefly really earns the right to use made up swear words.

BSG is the opposite. They use regular modern speech with the exception of curse words. Which, to me, makes them stand out and seem silly.

It stands out in Farscape, but I'll give them a pass because all the language is supposed to be translated telepathically, and the meaning of Frell, like our F-word, is less about a literal definition and more about the way it's said.
    So it makes a certain kind of sense.

20. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

In the context of a show: no.
    In the context of real life: It bugs the crap out of me. Just say the fucking word, don't show off what show you're watching.