"Invasion!" in the Mirror Universe

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Noddy, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Noddy

Noddy Captain

How do people reckon the events in the Invasion! mini-series would have gone in the mirror universe? I've only read the first two books, but I recall that in the first one, the attack by the super-powerful Furies was only foiled due to an alliance between Kirk and the Klingons.....Knowing relations between the Terran and Klingon Empires in the MU, would this have happened? If not, how would the Furies have been defeated? And what about the second time they returned in the TNG era; would the Alliance have been able to repel them?

2. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

This topic is dangerously close to story-ideas, I think.

For speculation's worth: In the Dark Mirror permutation of the MU, the United Empire of Planets is so powerful it probably would've crushed the Furies with ease.

Basically, we don't know when the MU diverged from the Prime Universe - and as such whether the Fury society ever formed or survived.

However, speculating is rather pointless, because you could probably ask for virtually every situation "How did the MU people deal with that?" - Mirror V'Ger, mirror Khan, mirror Porthos incident on Kretassa? There are works that tackle some issues exemplary, e.g. Drema IV's survival, Shattered Universe with several TOS threats, Ligon II in Dark Mirror, the Trill Parasite Crisis etc.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I once tried to figure out what TOS episodes could be retold as Mirror Universe stories, and the answer was, not many. Generally, they seemed to break down into three categories: stories that wouldn't happen at all because they were about humanitarian missions or freeing oppressed societies; stories that would be wrapped up very quickly by just blowing up the problem; or stories that would unfold pretty much the same because they were about fighting off attacking monsters or doomsday weapons or what-have-you.

4. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Not to mention the Voyager angle where the question would be, in the Dark Mirror universe, would Voyager have really bothered going after a ship the was presumed destroyed, and thus getting pulled into the Delta Quadrant? I don't think a Mirror-Voyager Invasion story would've worked.

5. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Did the Furies even exist in the MU? Given how fundamentally they influenced a great many cultures across the galaxy (including humanity), I'd say they did, seeing as how similar the histories of so many cultures are in the MU. But the era of the Furies was thousands of years ago. I don't worry about stuff like how V'Ger would have occurred in the MU, as in my opinion, history had already diverged so much by that point that it's highly probable there never was a Voyager VI (if, indeed, there was even ever a Voyager program). I've read that an RPG supplement conjectured the Cetacean Probe did attack Earth in the MU, at the same time as in the primary reality, but when Mirror-Spock brought Mirror-George and Mirror-Gracie to the 23rd century from the 20th, the Probe transformed them into cybernetic monsters that laid waste to large portions of Earth's coastal regions. Make of it what you will.

6. DorkBoy [TM]

DorkBoy [TM] Captain Captain

This reminds me of one of my favorite Trek board games from the 80s: Star Trek: The Adventure Game by West End.

A federation player and a klingon player fly to different planets and experience short choose-your-own-adventure style "missions" exploring each planet.

Most of the missions were loosely based on various episodes of TOS. (And other things - one was based on Forbidden Planet, which was extraordinarily cool.)

Anyhow, the Klingon missions often played like "What would the Klingons have done if they had experienced this TOS episode instead of the Enterprise?" Most of them were like what Christopher described - they would just blow up the problem, or intimidate people. :lol: Its not the mirror universe Federation, but its pretty much the same idea.

Man, I need to dig that game out of my closet again, I bet my kids would love it.

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Not with The Man Trap.

They would think the creature useful, and would have saved it. A few crewmembers lost? Fah.

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

They would have as-salted it.

9. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Furies would have gotten destroyed by an imperial armada first time round
    Second time round, if Dark Mirror continuity, same again. If TV continuity, furies would have won.

10. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Would the Terran Imperial fleet have been strong enough to fight the Furies though? And what of the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance? Plus, with no starship Voyager in the Delta Quadrant, what happens around the time of The Final Fury?

11. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

They should be - they're basically geared for war, so there won't just be a small number of galaxy analogues, there'll be huge numbers of overpowered warships.
    Final Fury wise, I'd imagine the planet turns up in the alpha quadrant and the empire supernova the local sun.

In the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance continuity, they'd lose as of book 2 I suspect. They haven't had hundreds of years of unending rule, and are probably still consolidating power, so I suspect the furies would depart from furies point and complete their invasion.

12. Noddy

Noddy Captain

But we know that didn't happen in the MU.....so what stopped the Furies?

13. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Well storywise you could make a good case for the first ship being destroyed so quick they never got a message off, and since the mission was so controversial anyway they never bothered again.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

For some reason when I started reading the post, I read it as furries instead of Furies. I think we can safely say that would be a very different story.

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Since all the Furies of the Mirror Universe would be hedonistic bisexuals, perhaps they found other distractions and forgot about invading? :devil:

16. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

[spoiler="Time's Enemy]With no DS9, Defiant, and Bajoran Wormhole playing a role in Time's Enemy to banish the Furies in the past, there's have to be an entirely different explanation for why they're not around to begin with. The Fury planet may not even be in the Delta Quadrant to send an invasion fleet at all.[/spoiler]

17. Noddy

Noddy Captain

The Furies have to have been around at some point though, because of the impact they had on a great many cultures across the galaxy, including humanity.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Maybe this is one of the reasons humanity is different in the MU. The Furies could have affected them differently (or not at all).

19. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

This assumes Invasion is still canon in the larger Litverse.

But even if it is, they weren't banished the same way they were in the 616 universe because there was no Jadzia Dax.

20. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Heather Petersen from Invasion! is still part of the current Lit-verse, as a crewmember of U.S.S. Everett.