Movies Seen in 2012

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Starbreaker, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Really? I've seen the various films many times now and the first is always the more sombre, quiet one to me. Watched Evolution only a couple of hours ago too.

2. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

26. OSS 117: Le Caire nid d'espions

This is a spy parody made by basically the same team that also made this year's "The Artist". It has some funny scenes, but on the whole I expected more.

3. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

It may just be me, but it seemed that the sequel had less goin' on, noise & soundtrack wise than the first...

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I see what you mean now, yeah the first film experimented much more visually and audibly with various filters, digital alteration, and on a smaller budget with cheaper equipment it made for a surreal backing to the film.

Evolution had one main blue visual filter and did the entire audio track normally. So it looks and sounds far "cleaner".

5. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Yep, that's exactly what I meant...

:alienblush:

Cowboys & Aliens - DVD
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes - DVD
    Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - free screenin'
    Limitless - Netflix Instant
    The Next Three Days - Netflix Instant
    Man on a Ledge - free screenin'
    Red State - Netflix Instant
    Mars Needs Moms - Netflix Instant
    S.W.A.T.: Firefight - Netflix Instant
    Red Tails - free screenin'
    Resident Evil: Degeneration - Netflix Instant
    The Last Exorcism - Netflix Instant
    Frozen - Netflix Instant
    The Perfect Host - Netflix Instant
    Tucker & Dale vs Evil - Netflix Instant
    Brooklyn's Finest - Netflix Instant
    Stone - Netflix Instant
    The Woman in Black - free screenin'
    Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - free screenin'
    Haywire - free admission
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) - free admission
    The Artist - free admission
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - free admission
    Ted & Eric's Billion Dollar Movie - tech screenin'
    Hugo - free admission
    Safe House - free screenin'
    The Captains - Netflix Instant
    Troll Hunter - Netflix Instant
    The Evil Dead (1981) - Netflix Instant
    Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace 3D - tech screenin'
    Underworld Awakening 3D - free admission
    We Need to Talk About Kevin - free admission
    The Innkeepers - free admission
    Big Miracle - free admission
    Chronicle - free admission
    Underworld: Unrated Extended Cut - DVD
    The Grey - free admission
    Contraband - free admission
    Journey 2: The Mysterious Island 3D - free admission
    One for the Money - free admission
    The Ouija Experiment - free admission
    Ghost Rider - Extended Cut - DVD
    The Secret World of Arrietty - free admission
    Bullhead - free admission
    Underworld Evolution - DVD
    Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance - free admission

Oh, dear lord, what a terrible movie...there's no continuity from the first, except to say that Nicholas Cage is the Ghost Rider. Ciaran Hinds is almost completely wasted as the villain. Idris Elba IS wasted as the ally. A lot of it doesn't even make sense. And the best joke in the whole thing involves a Twinkie.

Also, not worth payin' extra for a 3D viewin', since 3D is hardly utilized, and really doesn't add anything to the movie.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    -There's the pact with the devil aspect of course carried over.
    -Then some further detail about what type of "demon" is bonded to Blaze as the Rider.
    -The aspect of the Rider having an aversion to daylight is a carry over, then remedied.
    -The fact he mentions he's been on the run, which is ambigous I suppose but it sounds like a line to let the viewer know "since you last saw me in the US, this is why I'm in Europe now"

Yeah, the twinkie scene got a few laughs on Friday night when I saw it, the Sunday matinee however didn't seem to get it. I love the entire chase scene at dawn, that alone saves the film from utter disaster. I admit Oscar won't be calling though.

7. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

With the contract lookin' more like a modern legal document instead of a scroll. He signs it with blood after smashin' his hand with a beer bottle instead of an accidental papercut. And the animated intro suggests Papa Blaze actually got to a hospital, not just sufferin' through outpatient appointments.

And a different actor playin' the Devil this time out.

Meh...that was just to help this story, without havin' anything to do with the first one. Not like he burned blue when he pointed at the innocent kid in the holdin' cell...

He was able to go "flame on!" durin' daylight hours, but still in shadow, at the end of the first movie. He should be over the 'aversion' by now...

And I bet he rode his motorcycle all the way across the Atlantic Ocean, too...

8. Captain Craig

^^^
    Yes they made some visual changes, I was just pointing out the carryovers. It seemed to be what you were indicating wasn't there or you might have missed.
    The directors called this a Requel even, stealing the term for our board I think. One part Reboot/one part Sequel. So yeah some changes were going to be made, for budget reasons or style.

Since the demon has this daylight aversion as a fear/weakness I don't see any reason the Rider should, at this point, be any more over it than Superman is to Kryptonite. Your weakness is you weakness regardless of how often you're around it.

9. nvek86

27. Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief

I haven't read the book, so I don't know how closely it resembles it, but I thought this was one of the better franchise starters of the last few years. It moved along at a nice pace, had nice effects and was generally mostly fun.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. "The Artist" (2011) A + Starring: Jean Dujardin, Berenice Bejo, Uggie the dog, James Cromwell, John Goodman, Malcom McDowell. Directed By: Michael Hazanavicius.

This movie wasn't even on my radar until the buzz and hype started over it around Golden Globe time. I ignored it as I mostly do over these types of things, but eventually my curiosity got the better of me and I checked out the trailer. That clinched it. I had to see this movie. I didn't think a silent movie would work in this day and age. Boy was I wrong. This film absolutely blew me away. It deserves all the accolades and awards that it has won, and probably still will win. The acting is brillant, so is the directing, and the musical score really pulls you into the story. Not in a very long time have I had a range of emotion triggered by a film like the ones I felt while watching "The Artist". I am one that gets really into a story and can get emotional with films that I really love, but this was different. I was feeling all kinds of things and reacting to various scenes playing out on the screen. Haven't felt that way about a film in a very long time. If you are even remotely thinking about seeing this film...do so. It has a tremendous cast and a heart warming story and I think several relevant messages in the film. I was hesitant before, but I'm really glad that I went to see this. It is now number one on my favourite films of 2011 list. I'll be getting the Blu-Ray when it comes out in a couple months. I hope this cleans up at the Oscars as well.

11. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Cowboys & Aliens - DVD
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes - DVD
    Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - free screenin'
    Limitless - Netflix Instant
    The Next Three Days - Netflix Instant
    Man on a Ledge - free screenin'
    Red State - Netflix Instant
    Mars Needs Moms - Netflix Instant
    S.W.A.T.: Firefight - Netflix Instant
    Red Tails - free screenin'
    Resident Evil: Degeneration - Netflix Instant
    The Last Exorcism - Netflix Instant
    Frozen - Netflix Instant
    The Perfect Host - Netflix Instant
    Tucker & Dale vs Evil - Netflix Instant
    Brooklyn's Finest - Netflix Instant
    Stone - Netflix Instant
    The Woman in Black - free screenin'
    Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - free screenin'
    Haywire - free admission
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) - free admission
    The Artist - free admission
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - free admission
    Ted & Eric's Billion Dollar Movie - tech screenin'
    Hugo - free admission
    Safe House - free screenin'
    The Captains - Netflix Instant
    Troll Hunter - Netflix Instant
    The Evil Dead (1981) - Netflix Instant
    Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace 3D - tech screenin'
    Underworld Awakening 3D - free admission
    We Need to Talk About Kevin - free admission
    The Innkeepers - free admission
    Big Miracle - free admission
    Chronicle - free admission
    Underworld: Unrated Extended Cut - DVD
    The Grey - free admission
    Contraband - free admission
    Journey 2: The Mysterious Island 3D - free admission
    One for the Money - free admission
    The Ouija Experiment - free admission
    Ghost Rider - Extended Cut - DVD
    The Secret World of Arrietty - free admission
    Bullhead - free admission
    Underworld Evolution - DVD
    Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance - free admission
    Castle in the Sky - free admission
    Pentacost - free admission
    Raju - free admission
    The Shore - free admission
    Time Freak - free admission
    Tuba Atlantic - free admission
    This Means War - free admission

Was supposed to get together with a friend of mine to see Studio Ghibli's Castle in the Sky yesterday, but she got sick over the weekend, and still wasn't over it. So, I had to go without her.

Pretty good movie, though freakin' long...over two hours?!?

After my shift last night, I got a ticket to the live action shorts nominated for Oscars. All of 'em were pretty good, though I think Raju (about a German couple who go to India to adopt a child) is the best one, while Tuba Atlantic (about a man tryin' to contact his brother in the final days before dies) is the funniest.

I had a plan to see This Means War today, but I may not make it, after all...

- edit, to add -

I did make it to This Means War, and while it was a total chick flick, it was still a pretty fun movie, mostly because of the awesomness between nuKirk & Picard's clone. Reese Witherspoon is still lookin' good, too.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  12. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

If ya change the events from the first film, which this one did quite a bit, it goes against the continuity, which is what I was sayin'. I didn't miss that stuff, I just don't agree with ya that just because ideas carry over, it counts as continuity.

The only real continuity from the first movie to the sequel is Nicholas Cage as the Ghost Rider.

13. nvek86

28. Hugo

I can see why this disappointed at the box office compared to the budget, but I am glad that it got that budget. The film looks wonderful and it has a nice story about a pioneer of film making (which, as I later found out, is surprisingly close to what really happened).
    It was marketed as a children's film but it probably offers too little fun/excitement for them, because it relies a lot on nostalgia (I especially liked the flash backs to the early days of film making).

14. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

1. Chasing Amy - C+
    2. Where The Wild Things Are - C
    3. The Tree of Life - C+
    4. Source Code - B
    5. Kung Fu Panda - B.
    6. Ponyo - B+
    7. Shaun of the Dead - A-
    8. Thor - B
    9. Win Win - B+
    10. Rise of the Planet of the Apes - B
    11. Porco Rosso - B
    12. Eden of the East: Movie 1 - C-
    13. Cool World - F
    14. 50/50 - B+

15. Iron Man 2 - B-. Pretty fun, and Sam Rockwell plays well as the villain.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

1. Holy Rollers (B-)
    2. The Kids Are All Right (B)
    3. History of the World, Part 1 (C-)
    4. Blazing Saddles (A+)
    5. Scarface [1932] (B-)
    6. The Purple Rose of Cairo (A)
    7. Rampart (B+)
    8. We Need To Talk About Kevin (A+)
    9. Tucker and Dale vs Evil (B+)
    10. They Live (B-)
    11. Darling Companion (D)
    12. A Dangerous Method (B-)
    13. Haywire (C+)
    14. Mission: Impossible (B+)
    15. Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie (B+)
    16. Twixt (C+)
    17. Burn After Reading (B+)
    18. Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy (B-)
    19. Drive (A)
    20. Crazy Stupid Love (A)
    21. The Omega Man (D)
    22. The Adjustment Bureau (B+)
    23. The Artist (A-)
    24. Lady and the Tramp (B)
    25. Hugo (A-)
    26. The Secret World of Arrietty (B)
    27. Twelve Angry Men (A)
    28. Act of Valor (F)

Act of Valor: Don't see this movie at a preview screening full of active duty Navy SEALs where it is impossible to emit the uproarious laughter this movie deserves. Actually, let me amend that: just don't see this movie. Apparently, the film began life as a short propaganda piece to encourage Navy recruitment, and as a feature film that remains its primary function. Unfortunately, the film is so poorly made that I doubt it will even succeed on that level for many viewers.

Let me explain. The film (at least, at the preview screening I attended) begins with a short introduction by the filmmakers explaining that they cast real life Navy SEALs (and their families) because real actors couldn't approach the genuine emotions of the SEALS and their families. How real Navy SEALs were supposed to express genuine emotions in a ridiculously made-up movie like this one is anyone's guess. Suffice it to say, they possess so little acting talent that the evil terrorists (and the film has them indiscriminately killing dozens of children and/or engaging in plenty of extramarital sex so that we know they're evil) are the only people in the movie to possess actual charisma. Propaganda fail.

(As an aside, apparently the lead character's voice over was deemed to be so terrible that an actual actor was brought in to re-record it for the movie's advertising; having heard the voice over in the movie, I can attest to this decision being the only one to make from an advertising perspective. It's worse than Harrison Ford's lamented delivery in the theatrical version of Blade Runner.)

And make no mistake -- this is nothing but propaganda. Although the action is often shot and cut so poorly (with a 1-2-3 combination of poor lighting, shaky, hand-held photography, and frenetic editing) that it is incomprehensible, our heroes never ever make a mistake. There is no such thing as friendly fire, and they would never shoot a civilian by mistake. They're equipment (always state of the art, and always working correctly) never, ever malfunctions. And unless they're heroically jumping on a grenade to save their buddies (seriously), they're invulnerable. One of them gets shot in the face, another gets shot repeatedly in the torso at point blank range, and another gets shot at point blank range by an RPG (it's a dud, of course). They all make it (okay, the RPG guy may be the one who jumps on a grenade later on, but they're so interchangeable that it doesn't make a difference).

They're also perfectly mixed when it comes to race (and not a single inter-personal conflict arises). Of course, the guys in charge are all white dudes.

The movie possesses no virtues, and makes you long for the days when right-wing propaganda was at least slickly produced, like Dirty Harry or even Rambo: First Blood Part II.

Theatres: 11 +1
    Home Video: 16
    Computer: 1

16. Captain Craig

^^^^
    Crap. A friend of mine who I only see a few times a year is in town tomorrow and he wants to see this. Maybe it'll sell out and we can see something else.

17. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

From the AV Club's review:

18. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I prefer to think of it as Kirk vs. Bane. :p

19. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

1. My Week With Marilyn (B-)
    2. Fantasia 2000 (B+)
    3. Blade Runner (B)
    4. The Hidden Fortress (A-)
    5. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (B+)
    6. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (A+)
    7. The Descendants (A-)
    8. Monsieur Lazhar (A)
    9. The Prestige (A+)
    10. Blood Simple (A-)
    11. The Big Lebowski (B+)
    12. West Side Story (A-)
    13. The Hours (A-)
    14. Lady and the Tramp (B)
    15. An Officer and a Gentleman (B)
    16. All Quiet On The Western Front (A)
    17. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (B-)
    18. Spellbound (B+)

My fifth Hitchcock film (which, apart from Rear Window, has been his not-quite-as-famous movies, and ironically the most famous one was the one I recall liking the least), the second to star Ingrid Bergman - here acting opposite Gregory Peck in one of his first big roles. I've typically thought of Peck as not an especially deep actor; he trades more on an unshakeable sense of morality. However, this is the most nuanced performance I've seen him give, but his nobility also serves the character since it helps the audience accept Ingrid Bergman's rather, ah, unprofessional conduct. Bergman is wonderful. Michael Chekhov's Oscar-nominated supporting performance is also a lot of fun (the film is surprisingly comic in places; it also inexplicably has a four-minute musical intro, like this was an historical epic). My main points against it relate to its portrayal of psychoanalysis and psychoanalysts, which (despite the presence of a consultant), feels very inauthentic, and given that so much of the drama revolves around it, that's a bit of a handicap. Bergman's handling of the climax also feels rather contrived for dramatic purposes.

Cinema: 5
    Home Video: 11
    Computer: 2

20. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:
    Bad Boys (8)
    Daybreakers (5)
    First Squad: The Moment of Truth (8)
    Gantz: Perfect Answer (7)
    King of Thorn (9)
    Legend of the Millennium Dragon (7)